Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: best survival knife

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    what defines a '' survival knife'' ?
    A "survival knife" is a tool that has a handle on one end that you grasp with your hand and a blade on the other end that has a sharp edge on it that can be resharpened when dull that is used to cut, chop, carve, stab, slice various materials such as wood, cordage, brush, flesh, cloth etc, and be durable enoughto withstand such use during a survival situation.

From Lamewolf's survival dictionary !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    A "survival knife" is a tool that has a handle on one end that you grasp with your hand and a blade on the other end that has a sharp edge on it that can be resharpened when dull that is used to cut, chop, carve, stab, slice various materials such as wood, cordage, brush, flesh, cloth etc, and be durable enoughto withstand such use during a survival situation.

From Lamewolf's survival dictionary !
    That and the handle is filled with lots of survifal goodies, I will refer to the Harbor freight survival knife once again.
    built-in compass, sewing kit, safety pins, buttons, fishing line with hook, 6 matches with fire starting paper, lanyard and sheath. I am disappointed that there is no stone in the sheath. The best part is you can put a nice long stick in the empty handle and make a sweet spear for hog hunting etc. Two of these in your pack you should be good for any situation.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    That and the handle is filled with lots of survifal goodies, I will refer to the Harbor freight survival knife once again.
    built-in compass, sewing kit, safety pins, buttons, fishing line with hook, 6 matches with fire starting paper, lanyard and sheath. I am disappointed that there is no stone in the sheath. The best part is you can put a nice long stick in the empty handle and make a sweet spear for hog hunting etc. Two of these in your pack you should be good for any situation.
    And as soon as the spear hits the hog, the blade breaks off in him and he runs off wwith it. But I guess thats why you put 2 of them in your pack ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Of course you bring at least a couple.....kinda like Bic's....use a couple of times and toss.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When it comes to the Harbor Freight Survival Knives........

One is none and two is WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One is none. Two is one. I'm with you Randal. It's really all about stab placement. I generally try to stab a hog in the ear so it goes straight to the brain. They generally fall like a rock right where they stand. If they don't fall then you have a long spear you can use to just gently push them over. Kinda like cow tipping. It's an interesting aside that the Harbor Freight Knife happens to be the knife of choice for Anaconda hunters in Florida and around the world. It's another interesting aside that Anacondas are on my Florida list.

EDIT: Buhahahaha. I was typing when you posted. Great minds and all.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I carry like 3-4 knives on me at all times: and the two that are always the same are, A victornox swisarmy knife with two blades, a can opener, cork screw, saw, tooth pick, and tweezers. and the other one is a leathersman with all the same stuff plus pliers and a flashlight. The other knives I would cary with me is: A $5 wal-mart hunting knife, a multi-tool, and the CRKT RSK MK5 knife. I also carry a pocket/key-chain knife sharpener.

Edit: Oh almost forgot I also carry a waterproof flint and steel striker
    Last edited by wildlearner; 04-24-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: I forgot to add somthing.

And as soon as the spear hits the hog, the blade breaks off in him and he runs off wwith it. But I guess thats why you put 2 of them in your pack ?
    See I pay attention I noticed in the reviews the blades are apt to fall out of the handle so I say carry two. Plus you never know when you will brake the fishing string and loose your hook... so an extra hook never hurts. I say for a few dollars more land a 80's model Rambo it comes with same equipment but also an awesome cable saw with key ring handles and a quality aluminum oxide sharpening stone on the fleather sheath this doubles your shelter building ability by at least -50%, fish catching and fire making by the same I would guess.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    See I pay attention I noticed in the reviews the blades are apt to fall out of the handle so I say carry two. Plus you never know when you will brake the fishing string and loose your hook... so an extra hook never hurts. I say for a few dollars more land a 80's model Rambo it comes with same equipment but also an awesome cable saw with key ring handles and a quality aluminum oxide sharpening stone on the fleather sheath this doubles your shelter building ability by at least -50%, fish catching and fire making by the same I would guess.
    But you forgot to mention the fancy mall ninja knivess for killing zombies !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Just saw something about this one I thought was strange ! I got out my copy of the Navy Seals Survival Training manual and was looking through it and noticed they have a picture of the Harbour Freight 8" survival knife it it as an example of a fixed blade survival knife. You would have thought the Navy could afford a better one to put in their book !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Just saw something about this one I thought was strange ! I got out my copy of the Navy Seals Survival Training manual and was looking through it and noticed they have a picture of the Harbour Freight 8" survival knife it it as an example of a fixed blade survival knife. You would have thought the Navy could afford a better one to put in their book !
    I think the HF version is a knock off, of someone else's knives...as I have seen others for a whole lot more money that "looked" the same.......or some one is really ripping off the customer.

That is pretty funny though.........the Navy's version is most likely $800 bucks......LOL

FYI
    https://www.google.com/search?q=surv...w=1093&bih=514
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-28-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27