Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best survival knife

mike the survivor

Default best survival knife

what is the best survival knife in your opinion

The one you remember to carry with you?

Seriously though, I've thought about making a forum survival knife/kit and manufacturing it. So I'm curious to see what people would put on their dream survival knife.

I'd go with the Rambo Super Deer Slayer Delux with Scope, Laser, Holo, Tac Light. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...mbo+super+deer
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The one you carry everyday....and have on you when you have survival situation......if it's not a survival situation, then you can plan to carry what ever you want.

Personally it's a SAK.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here's one I made for WSF as a wilderness knife. The term "survival knife" is often a misnomer.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

What seems far more common is a battery of knives. Swiss army in your pocket, small-medium fixed blade on your belt, and a hatchet, axe, machete, or large knife mounted on your pack or carried. Many include some type of saw ( I do)

I have a ton of knives that are suited to the tasks required in the woods so I kinda pick and choose between them.

One needs a self assessment of what they require a knife to do; not vaguely, specifically.

For instance, if you carry a tent, you may not need to cut poles for shelters. If you carry cooking utensils, you won't need to carve them.
    Last edited by Winter; 01-23-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Remember, a knife is a tool, nothing more. Unless it's a magical elven knife, of course.

Anyway, there are lots of very good, practical knives that don't cost a lot. You've probably read this somewhere already, but a fixed blade, full tang knife is a good place to start.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

mine is my mora and my sak huntsman

I don't need a full tang, I find full tangs detrimental for knives used in cold weather. They are a heat sink.

Swords used in warfare for 1000's of yrs didn't have them.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Check my blog entry....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ions-for-Noobs

The problem here is that is an open-ended question, a hundred different members will give you a hundred different answers. The best knife is the one YOU like that fits YOU!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-22-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I guess the best answer is to spend $20 on a Mora. Find out what you believe it's shortcomings are and go from there.

I have a buddy who got a Esee. I fell in love and bought an Esee4.
    Bottom line is it is alot more knife than I need.
    I like my Camillus, didn't pay alot for it, and with the sheath provided I have rigged it as almost another kit.
    This isn't a reccommendation because your knife needs may be much different from mine.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarone View Post
    Why ask....??? Why NOT learn the truth, by spending more time in the wilderness. Suggest you start by going to a couple of local taxidermy shops and ask if you can watch them flesh hides, turn lips, turn ears, etc. and notice the tools they use. Ask the butcher what tools he uses. Ask the farmer what sharp tools he uses. Don't waste their time with a hundred questions, just look, notice, learn and leave them to their work.

In the end if you ain't going to get your boots into the field and learn, it really does not matter. Just buy some knives that give you visual gratification, and play with them............"Carefully".

For the record, when working I will carry 9 to 12 different shaped knives.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarone View Post
    "Survival" for what?? Hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, prospecting, exploring trip gone bad?? Canoe swamped and sunk and you're stranded on a far, uninhabited shore and freezing??

And where?? Light airplane crash in very remote Alaska, and you manage to live? High mountains where you're so lost you don't know where you're lost from?? Desert where it is 130° F in the day and 28° F at night? Thick woods where everything you see looks exactly like everything else, 360° around you?

And at what time of the year?? Freezing Winter? Spring? Blazing Summer? Ever changing weather Fall?

And under what circumstances?? Just lost and need to spend the night out in the boonies? Broken bone? Suddenly very ill? No food nor water? Attacked by wild animals and severely mauled? Snake bite?

Gotta figure out where you're going to be in the boonies and what you're doing there in the first place. Then fantasize a dire survival scenario and buy the proper knife for that scenario. Or scenarios.

That's really all there is to it. Simple.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Find the most expensive knife you can find....Buy it....Gotta be the best, right?........You are good to go.....

I don't want the best of anything....just the tool for the job, at the time, that won't break me......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I carry a $16 dollar Cold Steel Pendleton that does everything I need it to do. I ordered it because it had great reviews in Amazon, and for just 16 bucks I thought it would be worth a try. It was actually sharp when I got it, and it feels good in the hand. I put my Buck Woodsman up for a while and am now using my rediculously cheap Pendleton. It is a surprisingly good knife for the price!

I would be more than comfortable in the woods with any of the kitchen knives I have in this roll. The most I paid was $3 or any one of them.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I love my Eskabar...

... But if I found myself in a survival situation, I will be very happy if I wear my Gerber BMF, my SAK and my multitool too

give me a good axe.

Nice knife roll ya got there Crash!!!!!!!!

I like a 5 to 7 inch blade as a sheath knife along with a pocket knife. I use Randall Made knives out of Orlando, Florida but there are many on the market that fit the bill.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I have a small pocket clip knife I carry all the time and if I'm in the woods I carry a Ontario Pilot survival knife.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free