Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bears

i think someone is following me

City Survivalist Proud American's Avatar

well i learned a bit about bears, WE and MW I dont know wich of you are more right but if I ever meet a bear the plan I remember will be the one I use. I just hope i remmember not to run
    Proud American

Here lies my great advice from my years of experience......

Banned

A good dog is all you need when out walking or hiking. My dogs chased three blacks up a tree this morning (sow & 2 cubs) not more than 80' from my front door while I was out feeding the cattle.
    I put the dogs in the barn, I backed away until they came down and fired two bangers right at them. Should have heard them cubs screaming as they ran crashing through the trees.

I dont think they will be back.

Here are two out of my four bear deterrents: King Aurther & Lucy
    I have two other Maremma's but they are not allowed near the house. They are work dogs and are there to protect against livestock kills by cougars) and live at the barns.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

really... how big were the cubs?

Banned

Last years cubs, 1/3 much smaller than her. One black and one brown. Not as skinny this year as Ive seen in the past.

whats the temps like your way?

Banned

It's been warmer. Got about 7" of snow last night. -5 at night and days high of 3-5 degrees. Last week was 12.

bears are like people, no matter how you treat them they still can come back and stab you in the back. Bear bangers, never heard of them till I joined this forum, bear spray avoided because i didnt know how effective they were ( and my boys wouldnt let me test it on them lol) fire arms most likely I would just blast holes in everything BUT the bear but it would make very loud bangs. I have had 3 run ins with bears in my life 1 were peaceful one ate my truck ( I was close enough to make it on a dead sprint plus the wall of slippery crap slowed it down some) and the last one became my dinner for a month. the point is bears are a real threat but very rare cool heads learn all you can before you go and if space/weight allows use several deterants. I still dont know how a right hook to the nose of a POed bear is gonna do anything but hurt your hand befor it kills you
    Life is a path that cannot be seen but must be walked

You need to read Wildwoman's posts on bears. She has daily experience and a much different philosophy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

wildwoman is spot on.

I hope this is what sets me apart from other numptys is that I admit when I am wrong..I am, and learn from my mistakes (or others) thank you for the info again. and please be patient for I am trying to learn

Not too worry. See, the thing is, where one person is an expert on one thing someone else is an expert on another. So we are all learning something (in my case a lot). Even when two or more are experts on a given subject they may do it quite differently. So you get to read all the why's and how come's and then choose for yourself or try both and see what works for you.

Trax currently has a great thread on the 303 Enfield. I don't hunt large game so I've spent the afternoon scouring the net reading up on the Enfield 'cause I know zip about it. Now I know a little less zip than I did earlier today.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

lol thanks for the patience but really some one has got to tell me how is punching a bear gonna save you

Banned

I know a guy from BC who was in a tent with his young son when a Grizz came through the door......shot him in the nose with his sons pellet gun. I dont know how true the story is but the guy has never been known to BS. I believe him.

hmm boxing lessons might be in order

Banned

You shouldnt have problems with bears if you do things right. Bears would be my last worry.

Bragg - Never trust a man that doesn't BS. After all, that's what real men do!

I have spent lots of time in the woods and ran in to bears three times in my life and once I was lookin for them

Two experiences with bears, both times black.
    First time was when I was up at God's Lake Manitoba. My brother and I were hanging around a couple of Cree guides that were our age. There is/was and abandoned gold mine site there and they were taking us to check it out. On the way was a trash dump and when we came into the clearing, there was 2 black bears rooting through the garbage. My brother and I, both from La. and never having to worry about bears, about soiled ourselves. The two guides started hollering and throwing things at the bears, which took off running pretty fast. Don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but it worked for them.

Other time was when I was teaching a white water kayaking session in northern Wisconsin in the early 90s. We came around a bend on the river and a black bear was swimming across the river. We gave it plenty of space. It hastened it's swim when it saw us.

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    A good dog is all you need when out walking or hiking. My dogs chased three blacks up a tree this morning (sow & 2 cubs) not more than 80' from my front door while I was out feeding the cattle.
    I put the dogs in the barn, I backed away until they came down and fired two bangers right at them. Should have heard them cubs screaming as they ran crashing through the trees.

I dont think they will be back.

Here are two out of my four bear deterrents: King Aurther & Lucy
    I have two other Maremma's but they are not allowed near the house. They are work dogs and are there to protect against livestock kills by cougars) and live at the barns.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So Bragg... being a city boy... never heard of bear bangers... I have an idea what they are but where do you get bear bangers? Hunting supply stores?