Thread: Medium cheap knife suggestion.

Default Medium cheap knife suggestion.

Let me start this way. I live in south florida. There are alot of vines and small branches and things so I have a well sharpened cold steel kukri $16.00 its awesome.

I am looking for a fixed blade full tang cheap reliable knife 4-6 inch blade. $20-30 range. I have seen people with high end knives and such but I really dont want to spend this much for a tool. Thats what it is a tool I dont want to put it in a cabnet for show like some people seam to do. Or be afraid of getting it dirty or a chance of it breaking. Any suggestions?

Might I suggest Condor knives. They are very heavy, in your price range, and have very good "all leather" sheaths.
    I have several and they are tough.
    Jim

Moras are around 4". Inexpensive but are right on par with some of the higher end knives. They aren't full tang, but should serve you well as long as you don't overly abuse them. I think some of the condor stuff my be full tang and in that price range, but I've never handled one?
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

If you like your cold steel just stick with one of them, they have several knives for under 30.00, you could always make your own for very little.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

I like the old hickory knives, not sure of a price but I do believe they are under 30 dollars.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

MORA! MORA! MORA! Just my two...or three cents worth.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I just dont want a mora to shatter if I try something silly like battoning or something. They look like they have very thin blades.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcboom View Post
    I just dont want a mora to shatter if I try something silly like battoning or something. They look like they have very thin blades.
    1st, batoning with any knife is never a good idea, however Cody Lundin uses nothing but a Mora and batons with his quite often without any problem. The Mora line is tough as nails, but the choice is yours.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jmarshnh View Post
    Might I suggest Condor knives. They are very heavy, in your price range, and have very good "all leather" sheaths.
    I have several and they are tough.
    Jim
    I'll second that.

I have the Condor Bushlore -- full tang, 1075 steel, plenty tough and right in the size/price range you mentioned.

My second suggestion would be a $15 Mora knife and a Walmart $10 hatchet. That combination will do just about anything you need.
    Last edited by Stiffy; 01-19-2013 at 11:35 PM.

condor rodan, Its a brute

When I got my first Mora, practically the first thing I did with it was batton.
    Plenty of decent knives in that price range; depends on your preference.
    Just hunt around some.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

For around $30-ish the Condor is good, Mora knives are really good and Cold Steel has some good ones. The Bushman is pretty sturdy and cheap. SOG makes a knife called the Field Pup that might be up your alley. It comes very sharp with a very nice nylon sheath with a pouch on the front. Plus it's got a strap for MOLLE attachment. I use the strap to attach it to my Maxpedition 12 x 5 bottle bag.

I bought a Cold Steel Pendleton for 16 dollars at Amazon. The sheath is OK, but the knife looks indestructable with full tang, thick blade, and very ergonomic. I expected a cheap knife and got a big surprise, It has become my favorite bush knife!
    I would not hesitate to baton wood with this knife!

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pen...d+steel+knives

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcboom View Post
    I don't think you'll shatter a Mora by battoning ! I purpously bought a Mora Clipper and put it through a torture test just to see what it took to "shatter" the plastic handle on it. I battoned with it, hammered it into a log and then forced it back out again, laid it down on concrete and beat the handle with a hammer and finally used a chisel to get the handle of and even that was quite a chore ! Don't know what kind of plastic they use, but it is some mighty tough stuff ! And no, I don't work for Mora, I just kept hearing how good a Mora was and I saw one for 12 bucks and decided to put one to the test - I now own 5 of them !

I usually do not comment or recomend a over the counter knife, and have very few, but I do have a cold steel master hunter and its a very good knife. I'm not sure you can get it for 30 unless you find a used one.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

I like the Mora. I have done some battoning with it. I purposely tried to torture my first one. You get a lot of quality for a very low price with a Mora.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Mora Robust is a hardier knife with a blade thickness of .126" (1/8"). I have batoned with mine with no ill affects. The Condor Sapien is a good choice also. I bought my son a Sapien two years ago and he absolutely loves it.

I highly recommend those two knives...either one will suffice & are within your price range...

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."