Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Don't LADIES want to move to the remote WILDERNESS........???????

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well good luck with that......Nothing is cheap.....if anything wilderness is more expensive just because of logistics.

Any trappers out there that "do it for the money?"....or because it is an option to keep ones head above water, or just love.
    You don't pay rent or mortgage, food, hydro, gas, insurance... trapping will make a few extra bucks to play with since your going to be trapping and hunting for food anyway. The money sits in the bank and collects interest wile you live bill free. Its like when I was working in Alberta in the oil fields, your lodging and food is all paid for and there are no stores to spend your money. I was making insane money and not spending any of it. If someone works hard and makes good money at a job that supplies all your necessities then you can make enough money to live in the wilderness if you choose to and come back to a bank full of money to retire with. I agree for people who make min wage and buy things they don't need it is much harder. Or you can simply keep working hard and not spending your money on stuff you don't need, then you can retire at an early age instead of waiting until your too old to enjoy it. However one looks at it and whatever one decides to do, living in the wilderness or not... anything can be done if your not a lazy person.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Blog Entries

Cool The answer is a simple one...

Women don't want to live in Alaska because they don't want to get splinters in thier tush using a doorless outhouse with a wood seat!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Keep in mind too the land you buy to live on with the cabin you work on over the years can be sold for more money than you paid for it when you decide to come back and retire.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Women don't want to live in Alaska because they don't want to get splinters in thier tush using a doorless outhouse with a wood seat!

I now have a Toilet......Now I need a Lady. OK, so the toilet for now is flushed with creek water, but it does have a certified toilet seat.

"Exactly! And if you work half your life and save all your money and buy some cheep land off the grid you no longer have to spend money, it stays in the bank. You can also make a little money trapping. If the day comes that you feel your too old to do it anymore, you can go back and retire off the money you had saved half your life that is sitting in the bank."

Ok but you still have to pay taxes! And no matter where you go, unless it is truly the Alaskan wilderness, taxes rise with EVERY improvement, your well, your barn/cabin/home, your driveway! We had to factor in taxes on our land with all upgrades and then back figure when DH could retire. And on top of that, you must factor in cost of living with feed for animals/chickens (in addition to what they eat free range), med. costs as we age, food we really can't raise ourselves (no bananas or oranges or citrus grown in WI).

Not saying our costs will be low, but our taxes on our property (20 minutes from the middle of nowhere but fairly large acreage without any improvements until we built) are and will continue to be about 1/6th of our income/pension/SS - whatever we are pulling at that time. And that is high. We know it and planned for it and continue to do so.

Just saying.

However, I am a woman and I picked this land in the middle of nowhere for us. Had to convince DH. Now, he loves it. But we do have toilets and hot water
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    You don't pay rent or mortgage, food, hydro, gas, insurance... trapping will make a few extra bucks to play with since your going to be trapping and hunting for food anyway. The money sits in the bank and collects interest wile you live bill free. Its like when I was working in Alberta in the oil fields, your lodging and food is all paid for and there are no stores to spend your money. I was making insane money and not spending any of it. If someone works hard and makes good money at a job that supplies all your necessities then you can make enough money to live in the wilderness if you choose to and come back to a bank full of money to retire with. I agree for people who make min wage and buy things they don't need it is much harder. Or you can simply keep working hard and not spending your money on stuff you don't need, then you can retire at an early age instead of waiting until your too old to enjoy it. However one looks at it and whatever one decides to do, living in the wilderness or not... anything can be done if your not a lazy person.
    Well, I guess you just have to give it a go...if that is your desire.......I'm thinking that this is all wishful thinking.
    DW and I have had the dream for a long time, and is part of retirement.......Kinda there now, but with some conditions.....

Bought land, paid for it, bought more land, paid for that, used it, had fun with it, built cabin, paid for it.....all the while learning and dealing with all the little nit pickey things as permits, locals, contractors, ulitilities, break-ins, good times and bad.

It can be done, and should be done young....gets harder to keep up when stuff hurts..........
    Good news, nursing home in town take everybody that can move to lunch at the saloon, on Wednesdays....

It is tougher than you might think......So like I said....Good luck with that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I discussed that with the girls one time, and we all came to the conclusion that for thousands of years, mankind has tried to better himself, and get away from having to live like animals out in the woods, with no medical services, and work tooth and nail every day to eek out an existance. So why would anybody in their right mind, want to go back to that? It is good to know how to survive in the wilderness, but not our choice of where we want to live.
    I look at my skills as a prep, not a way of life!
    Ditto. And not just as a prep, but also as an enjoyable hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Geek View Post
    "Exactly! And if you work half your life and save all your money and buy some cheep land off the grid you no longer have to spend money, it stays in the bank. You can also make a little money trapping. If the day comes that you feel your too old to do it anymore, you can go back and retire off the money you had saved half your life that is sitting in the bank."

Ok but you still have to pay taxes! And no matter where you go, unless it is truly the Alaskan wilderness, taxes rise with EVERY improvement, your well, your barn/cabin/home, your driveway! We had to factor in taxes on our land with all upgrades and then back figure when DH could retire. And on top of that, you must factor in cost of living with feed for animals/chickens (in addition to what they eat free range), med. costs as we age, food we really can't raise ourselves (no bananas or oranges or citrus grown in WI).

What the H*** would you need a driveway for in the wilderness??? LOL! No one is going to fly out in a bush plane to evaluate what your doing to raise your taxes a couple dollars each year. Besides, water comes from springs, not a dug out well. Besides, everything you described I already have. I own a farm, many animals, lots of land, a driveway, and everything else to go with it. Why do you see that as impossible? thousands of people in Canada live on farms LOL. As far as taxes, you not going to pay very much taxes on property in the middle of no where. And even if you calculate it at $1000 a year (way more than it would be) that is only $20 grand in 20 years or so... most people have that in their bank account. Besides, if I sold my farm which obviously I would if we moved to a lakeside cabin, I would have over $200 grand in the bank right there, not to mention all my savings.

Not saying our costs will be low, but our taxes on our property (20 minutes from the middle of nowhere but fairly large acreage without any improvements until we built) are and will continue to be about 1/6th of our income/pension/SS - whatever we are pulling at that time. And that is high. We know it and planned for it and continue to do so.

Just saying.

However, I am a woman and I picked this land in the middle of nowhere for us. Had to convince DH. Now, he loves it. But we do have toilets and hot water

Not trying to sound sarcastic with the above, but living off the grid in the wilderness is not living outside of town on a dirt road.

Well, I guess you just have to give it a go...if that is your desire.......I'm thinking that this is all wishful thinking.
    DW and I have had the dream for a long time, and is part of retirement.......Kinda there now, but with some conditions.....

Bought land, paid for it, bought more land, paid for that, used it, had fun with it, built cabin, paid for it.....all the while learning and dealing with all the little nit pickey things as permits, locals, contractors, ulitilities, break-ins, good times and bad.

It can be done, and should be done young....gets harder to keep up when stuff hurts..........
    Good news, nursing home in town take everybody that can move to lunch at the saloon, on Wednesdays....

It is tougher than you might think......So like I said....Good luck with that.
    Getting at it as soon as the kids move out hunter63... and if it turns out to not work out, nothing lost. Money is still in the bank and there is always a house for sale to be found. The money will always be in the bank. I do know how tuff it is though, I have lived in the bush for a short time before when I finished school, I took a year off to live at my grandfathers cabin for fun before I entered the work world. It is where I got the idea to live lakeside off the grid, it is how he lived. As I had said, I know people who do it

Keep in mind too, I already have the same set up your talking about now. When your off grid, and I mean wayyyy off grid, not just an hour or so out of town then there are no permits, locals, B&E's, contractors, utilities, and so on. No one is going to rent a bush plane to steel your oil lantern or fishing rod.
    Last edited by Psalm25; 01-20-2013 at 06:58 PM.

I sincerely wish you the best.....just don't wait too long.....Like i said it gets tougher, the older you get.

^Kind of getting off topic though. So best I can say is google remote Canadian villages that have no roads to them and can only be reached by bush plane. They are out there, and population can be counted on fingers. There is no hydro or anything a lot of people here seem to think is needed to survive. There are women who live in those places, and far off from those villages are families who live miles away from anyone. Your not going to find these people on internet forums, but that does not mean they are not out there, and plenty of them.

My only female concern(request/demand?) was running water and a flush toilet.
    Check, and check.

I sincerely wish you the best.....just don't wait too long.....Like i said it gets tougher, the older you get.
    My hope is with luck at least one of my kids will want to join us. Two of our kids have their career's all figured out so I know they will not... but my one son can not get enough of the outdoors, it would be nice to have him there with us. There are friends to who roll the idea around of joining us... but I think the shtf would have to happen for them to actually come. Thank you for the best wishes Hunter63.

My only female concern(request/demand?) was running water and a flush toilet.
    Check, and check.
    Man, you got off easy Hunter63 if that was the only demand lol... I imagine I will have to have a big 'ol kitchen of sorts set up and some kind of laundry room

Not yet sure how I am going to avoid the running water demand... maybe trade it off for a sewing room lol. She should be happy if I at least set up a solar shower and a bucket bath for the winter... should be or will be... time will tell lol

Default Where do I sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I have been a member of this forum for a fair amount of time. It seems like there is ALWAYS one or two hot threads running that involve males wanting to move to the Wilderness, and be as self-sufficient as possible. WHY is this a Male thing and Why is it not a Female thing......????
    If I could meet a nice guy with some wilderness land and a dog, I would move in if I felt we could get along. I would love to have my own place in the woods, but I can't afford to buy land. So you see, we're out there.
    BE PREPARED

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckette View Post
    If I could meet a nice guy with some wilderness land and a dog, I would move in if I felt we could get along. I would love to have my own place in the woods, but I can't afford to buy land. So you see, we're out there.
    So, have you met Sourdough? He's my age and not filthy rich, just filthy, but he's got property!

p.s.: I'm pushing 66, so now you know how old SD is!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    So, have you met Sourdough? He's my age and not filthy rich, just filthy, but he's got property!

p.s.: I'm pushing 66, so now you know how old SD is!
    Sounds like Sourgough better get a door on the outhouse

And ruin the view?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    And ruin the view?
    He might have to decide between a view from the doorless outhouse or a view inside his cabin.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    ^Kind of getting off topic though. So best I can say is google remote Canadian villages that have no roads to them and can only be reached by bush plane. They are out there, and population can be counted on fingers. There is no hydro or anything a lot of people here seem to think is needed to survive. There are women who live in those places, and far off from those villages are families who live miles away from anyone. Your not going to find these people on internet forums, but that does not mean they are not out there, and plenty of them.
    Heh, sometimes they do. Here is my friends Wayne and Scarlett's website. They live in the bush.
    http://www.bushalaskaexpeditions.com/index.html

Here is a few of my stories about visiting their place, the last 3 years
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/201...owl-adventure/

http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/201...dventure-2011/

http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/201...dventure-2012/

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckette View Post
    Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    And ruin the view?
    You can have a door and still have a view. See?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!