Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Don't LADIES want to move to the remote WILDERNESS........???????

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Why Don't LADIES want to move to the remote WILDERNESS........???????

I have been a member of this forum for a fair amount of time. It seems like there is ALWAYS one or two hot threads running that involve males wanting to move to the Wilderness, and be as self-sufficient as possible. WHY is this a Male thing and Why is it not a Female thing......????

That's any easy one......men have a wonder lust...women are more concerned with protection and well being of family, children and life in general.
    There are exceptions of course.......
    Takes both to create a balance.
    JMHO....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My wife would tell you. Outhouse vs a warm place to s**t.
    Dave

Face Fear With Knowledge

fear: is defined as an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat

Knowledge: is defined as (i) expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject

I think men still have a remnant of their primative hunter genes left in tact, and most women have lost them. In the early cave years of humanity, it was the men who left the cave and stayed gone for days if necessary to make a kill, so they were more accustomed to a more nomadic, wilderness type lifestyle.
    The cave women stayed at the cave site, took care of the kids, and more or less nested in one spot. So it stands to reason that we would still be more adaptable to living in the wilderness on a permenant basis.
    Plus, women are just smarter and know not to leave a good environment when they already have one

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Plus, women are just smarter and know not to leave a good environment when they already have one
    I don't think that is true.....They just think different.....

I often hear discussions between DW and the staff at the nursing home her mother is in right now....and feel the need to interject, till I realize that they, female, are actually on the same plain.......so it's more useful just to keep my mouth shut.....and thing work out.

Look a it this way, 2 females putting 30 un-related facts and opinions in their own hat, stirring with a stick, and some how a conclusion appears......
    Smarter, no, just different.........LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've got wonderlust...but not a grudge against society. My dealing with "issues" is not to run away from them.

Easy answer... there is no mall in the wilderness

Joking aside I think women are a lot more social then a lot of men. I could go months without speaking to anyone and not even realize it has been that long. I have many friends and enjoy doing guy talk, but I have no problem being secluded from people ether. Most women are always gabbing with each other almost non stop. I don't think I have ever heard a woman say that she needs to get out in the woods to get a break from everything. Also I think women like to feel secure, they don't like the idea that there is a chance an animal could attack them. I don't think all women are like this, but a lot are. Then again, I think a lot of guys like to talk the talk but after all is said they have never spent any real time in the wilderness, they consider going to a national park for a week "ruffing it"
    Last edited by Psalm25; 01-18-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    Easy answer... there is no mall in the wilderness

You in twubble now!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

1. I had wonderlust all my life until I crossed the Alaska state line in 2003. I found my home and could feel it immidiatly. So since I already kind of DO live in the wilderness, although not as far out as I plan once my children are raised, I have no need to run off TO the wilderness. Besides, if I don't work and earn a living, no one else is going to do it for me. Also, I know enough about it to know I don't have all the skills needed to be successfull. I don't know how to repair a generator, chain saw or snow machine. Those are the three things you really need to know how to repair if you are living "out there".

2. I LIKE being single. Other then being seperated for a few years, this is the first time I have really been single since I was 17. I'm 46. Although I have always been independant, just knowing there is someone else there to share the work load, etc. makes life easier. But I don't want to do that. I'm done depending on other people even though I never relied heavily on my husband. I recently had to "break up" with "the guy who wanted to be my boyfriend" because I really don't need nor want some night in shining armour bull**** in my life. I have enough to keep my hands full with my own self and with my kids without adding the burden of someone else's feelings and needs.

3. To me, I AM being as self sustaining as possible. I haul my own water, I empty the honeybucket (because yea, in the winter we really do appriciate a warm place to "do whatever", I often haul my own heating fuel. I'm now able to put money into my savings so that within two years I'll be able to buy my own little cabin in the middle of the Alaskan woods. And I will have a wood stove again, finally. So then I will find someone to teach me how to fix chainsaws. I know how to operate one as I have heated with wood most of my adult life, but I don't know how to maintain them as that is something my husband always did.

Yes, we are out there, but specifically speaking, not looking to add someone else's issues to our own.

Ok, so approach a girl with her iPhone at the mall and tell her this: "Say! Why not abandon all of this luxury and brave your life in the wilderness of Alaska building a homestead and trying to survive!"

Few will drop that iPhone and run at the opportunity . In general, women tend to be risk-averse when that risk could me serious bodily harm or death.

And yes, survival is dangerous, same reason why so few women take up jobs where they could lose their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Ok, so approach a girl with her iPhone at the mall and tell her this: "Say! Why not abandon all of this luxury and brave your life in the wilderness of Alaska building a homestead and trying to survive!"

Few will drop that iPhone and run at the opportunity . In general, women tend to be risk-averse when that risk could me serious bodily harm or death.

And yes, survival is dangerous, same reason why so few women take up jobs where they could lose their lives.
    Yeah the girls describe roughing it as a night in a Grand Plaza executive suite! I took them camping a couple of times and they are like fish out of water!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

Really, if you walk up to a girl with an iPhone in a mall and say "Hey want to go live in the lap of luxury with me?" do you think they would jump at the chance? Really? With a stranger? Your scenario has nothing to do with luxury vs. wilderness living. But obviously does have a lot to do with survival. Going off with a stranger who approaches you in a mall, for whatever reason would be idiotic. We're not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Yeah the girls describe roughing it as a night in a Grand Plaza executive suite! I took them camping a couple of times and they are like fish out of water!
    You guys are hangin out with the wrong girls. Really, if you are hanging out at malls and grand plazas, what type of women do you EXPECT to meet there?

Most females mature faster than males. And with that maturity they not only see, but actually comprehend, the immaturity of those around them. A head start on the consequences of Darwinism you might say.

Females do not put quite the emphasis on the Alpha mentality. If/when they "do it", they don't feel quite as compelled to broadcast it.

Society has always, but now more than ever, created a hierarchy. How did it feel to be the last picked? How did it feel to have a hole in your shoe? How did it feel to not have a date for the prom? How does it feel to not have an Aeropostale shirt? How does it feel to have a low SAT score? How does it feel to be the only one without a cell phone? How does it feel to not have a Dad?

A young man, depleted of the latter and experiencing the former, is going to have a bitter taste of "society".
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Really, if you walk up to a girl with an iPhone in a mall and say "Hey want to go live in the lap of luxury with me?" do you think they would jump at the chance? Really? With a stranger? Your scenario has nothing to do with luxury vs. wilderness living. But obviously does have a lot to do with survival. Going off with a stranger who approaches you in a mall, for whatever reason would be idiotic. We're not stupid.
    It's a nice attempt at a reframe, I'll give you a shiny penny . But your post fails to address what I have written and simply veers off into a completely different direction.

You guys are hangin out with the wrong girls. Really, if you are hanging out at malls and grand plazas, what type of women do you EXPECT to meet there?
    These girls have lived with me for 5 years. They are city girls and always will be, so when I want to get away, I go alone and just let them know where I'm going and when I think I'll be back.
    They do not know or understand the desire to go to the wilderness but I like them anyway because they are very polite and considerate ladys. They love our little farm, but that is as far as it goes!

You in twubble now!
    Figured that would get someones attention
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

I don't know how to repair a generator, chain saw or snow machine. Those are the three things you really need to know how to repair if you are living "out there".
    I can almost guarantee that ol' sourdough can repair a generator, chain saw or snow machine. Maybe he should go over and show you. Or you could go to his cabin in the woods and he could show you there.

I have enough to keep my hands full with my own self and with my kids without adding the burden of someone else's feelings and needs.
    I don't think sourdough has feelings, so there is that.....

I'm now able to put money into my savings so that within two years I'll be able to buy my own little cabin in the middle of the Alaskan woods. And I will have a wood stove again, finally. So then I will find someone to teach me how to fix chainsaws. I know how to operate one as I have heated with wood most of my adult life, but I don't know how to maintain them as that is something my husband always did.
    Sourdough already has a cabin in the Alaskan woods, with a wood stove. And he can show you how to maintain that elusive chain saw.

I think a meeting is in order........
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I can almost guarantee that ol' sourdough can repair a generator, chain saw or snow machine. Maybe he should go over and show you. Or you could go to his cabin in the woods and he could show you there.

I don't think sourdough has feelings, so there is that.....

Sourdough already has a cabin in the Alaskan woods, with a wood stove. And he can show you how to maintain that elusive chain saw.

I think a meeting is in order........
    Lol as much as I love Sourdough, no meetings are in the plans.

I can relate to needing to get away to some remote place to chill and recharge your batteries. I couldn't keep sane if I didn't do that a few times a year. Even fantasized about a log cabin in Wyoming or Utah, a shack on some underdeveloped Caribbean island or a cave dwelling in Santorini. But common sense ultimately prevails. Too many things left to do and see in the world, not enough dough to do it all. I suppose if I had a burning desire to live that one dream at the expense of everything else, I'd go for it. I've done it once by moving here 24 yrs ago, I can do it again.

As far as the OP goes, my sense is, at least from the guy newbies who posted here, that they wanted to get away from society and into the wilderness where they wouldn't be accountable in any way and could live off the fat of the land (usually not their own). I was willing to bet that they felt marginalized, ill at ease and didn't have many friends, nor a strong male figure in their lives, (if one at all). Probably didn't play sports, didn't do well in school or have a girlfriend. Didn't feel understood by anyone, didn't feel like they fit anywhere. But yet, had to function on their terms.
    Two ways to escape that predicament: literally and with least amount of effort would be running off to the wilderness to be alone and away from those you hate. Or, work hard (school, job, whatever) and gain independence so you can be your own master. Show them vs. running away from them.
    Women may have similar feelings but they deal with them differently and running away to the wilderness hardly ever makes the list because they don't feel that such a drastic action is required. They are more adaptable, more deliberate in their goals IMO.