Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday preppers getting out of hand

Just remember folks....lots of stuff will not last forever......

Was working in the basement yesterday, stomach kinda wierd, so broke into a BOB FAK, and opened up a roll of TUMS....hard as a rock.....Was repacked last spring....

A whole bunch of stored, "Bad" food doesn't do you any good......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Anybody ever see Duck Dynasty? That show is hilarious.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    What's it hurting you? Saying that one is prepping for zombies is just like saying one is prepping for X. X being a variable. Who cares what they name it?
    It is not the name that bothers me, it is the fact that the way the show is presented, makes all preppers look like lunatics. A lot of people don't know a thing about prepping and people like us. So they watch that show and go away thinking man, those preppers are some extreme bunker building, food hoarding, ammo and gun stocking paranoid people!
    That show represents .1% of the preppers in the US that simply keep their mouth shut, and prep for the future in order to watch out for their family's.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Honestly, I question stockpiling food/water beyond a year. If you have tons and tons of this stuff, it's difficult to hide it and people will become suspicious that you're fed and healthy while they're wasting away. Some will get guns and torches and will storm your home. We all like to talk tough, but when someone has a gun to our temple or our loved one, you will have a choice of seeing a life end now or give food away and try to find it some other way.

Now, if you have a skills (blacksmithing, gunsmithing, medical background, seamstress, carpenter, etc.), nobody can take that away from you and you can always find someone that will want to trade.
    I have to agree with you on this somewhat. If there is one thing that always follows a disaster it is riots and looting. Police have their hands full with looters, they don't have time to come to your home if someone is breaking in. So, here you are with your stock pile in your house and the gun or guns you had stashed away for such a time to come. Now by this time most of the food stores have been looted, nothing left. People are getting shot for their mars bar in their pocket. Criminals get smart and get together, going from house to house looting. Your in your house with your gun, if you are not smart enough to board up your windows they will sniper you. If you are smart enough to board up your windows they will smoke you out. ether way, if your in a boarded up house it would have to take a very stupid person not to know there will be food and likely weapons to loot in the house. No matter how good you are with a gun your not good enough to out shoot a gang of 20 or 30 armed people when they are on the outside and your on the inside. And if your inside your house a simple match and some gas will finish things pretty fast.
    If anything did come down to something like that I would be long gone with my family to the wilderness. I know of many cabins already set up in no mans land. I would take a few weeks worth of food and start hunting/trapping/fishing as soon as we arrive there. Also would bring lots of meds, tools, ect. But last thing I would do is sit around my house with a stock pile of food.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Anybody ever see Duck Dynasty? That show is hilarious.
    Hey.......I think Si Robertson is a riot.

In my county EM days, I did well over 100 presentations about the "All Hazards" approach to preparing. They could have done the same, but it's not very "nouveau" reality showish. I used the same system for individuals as the county - Hazard Analysis, Vulnerability, etc. - After deciding what can impact on you and the likelihood, start with the "stay or go" decision and move on with your prepping from there. It was fun.

I would offer my services but I've been told I don't even have a face for radio.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Boy scout motto. I don't see anything wrong with prepping, even for unlikely black swan events. I think the channel makes them pick something to say what they're prepping for, as if someone prepping in case yellowstone blew up couldn't also be prepping for a flu pandemic.

I don't like how the show seems to, lately, obligatorily, have to film a drill of every subject pretending to be rambo. I don't get anything from that. I don't get anything out of the scores at the end of the show.

I'd rather see an educational show, profile someone, see what they do, then have them show you how they do it. And it shouldn't always be "here is how they play rambo." Which bothers me every time I see it. Remember the one in Texas with the kids where they got the local sheriff to to the faux-raid and a deputy was holding a gun to the girl's head? I'm thinking "Someone is forgetting the first rule of gun safety." The cop in suburbia who was prepping and did his faux-raid with like capguns and squirtguns might have looked silly, but he at least was doing things right.... but I digress. I'd like to see something educational. "In a disaster I might be forced to hunt for my food, here is how I would skin a deer, cook it, and preserve what meet I couldn't eat right away." They could have a season full of just showing 1 food preservation method per episode. But lately its been all rambo.

IMO each person needs to decide if prepping is for them .....I believe that it is the sane thing to do....Not only supplies and materials but knowledge and experinces as well . Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    I have to agree with you on this somewhat. If there is one thing that always follows a disaster it is riots and looting. Police have their hands full with looters, they don't have time to come to your home if someone is breaking in. So, here you are with your stock pile in your house and the gun or guns you had stashed away for such a time to come. Now by this time most of the food stores have been looted, nothing left. People are getting shot for their mars bar in their pocket. Criminals get smart and get together, going from house to house looting. Your in your house with your gun, if you are not smart enough to board up your windows they will sniper you. If you are smart enough to board up your windows they will smoke you out. ether way, if your in a boarded up house it would have to take a very stupid person not to know there will be food and likely weapons to loot in the house. No matter how good you are with a gun your not good enough to out shoot a gang of 20 or 30 armed people when they are on the outside and your on the inside. And if your inside your house a simple match and some gas will finish things pretty fast.
    If anything did come down to something like that I would be long gone with my family to the wilderness. I know of many cabins already set up in no mans land. I would take a few weeks worth of food and start hunting/trapping/fishing as soon as we arrive there. Also would bring lots of meds, tools, ect. But last thing I would do is sit around my house with a stock pile of food.
    Good point, unless you are teamed with a fair amount of other preppers in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by wildgarlic View Post
    Good point, unless you are teamed with a fair amount of other preppers in the same area.
    Yes, that would be much better. As long as they are people you can trust 100% and will not get shifty-eyed when supplies start to run low. There is nothing people will not do to look out for their own family.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

I know what I'm going too do,and I'm sticking to it..
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    It is not the name that bothers me, it is the fact that the way the show is presented, makes all preppers look like lunatics. A lot of people don't know a thing about prepping and people like us. So they watch that show and go away thinking man, those preppers are some extreme bunker building, food hoarding, ammo and gun stocking paranoid people!
    That show represents .1% of the preppers in the US that simply keep their mouth shut, and prep for the future in order to watch out for their family's.
    Ok yes, I get that. Like I said, I've never watched the show but know enough about "reality" tv to know it's only about the ratings, not reality.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Ok yes, I get that. Like I said, I've never watched the show but know enough about "reality" tv to know it's only about the ratings, not reality.
    Some ofthe earlier shows were pretty good, but they did concentrate on the more extreme cases. What I found interesting was a north carolina minister ready to kill at the drop of a hat. The more recent ones are pure reality TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    This won't happen that quickly. If the Dow Jones flat-lines tomorrow, people won't just start grabbing guns and breaking things apart out of the blue, but you'll see it coming. Bob across the street lost his job, Jim can't pay the mortgage, John's deli is closing for business and the lines at the social assistance agencies keep getting longer and longer.

That's when you know the environment is becoming toxic. John, Jim and Bob might all have families and kids, they're good people who help you out to shovel snow (and you return the favor) and have beers in the summer. But when food becomes an issue, when they're arguing over a can of beans, that's when it's getting real bad. You might stave off any immediate aggression by handing out some provisions, but they'll be back and they know you have food. Time to get out, at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    This won't happen that quickly. If the Dow Jones flat-lines tomorrow, people won't just start grabbing guns and breaking things apart out of the blue, but you'll see it coming. Bob across the street lost his job, Jim can't pay the mortgage, John's deli is closing for business and the lines at the social assistance agencies keep getting longer and longer.

That's when you know the environment is becoming toxic. John, Jim and Bob might all have families and kids, they're good people who help you out to shovel snow (and you return the favor) and have beers in the summer. But when food becomes an issue, when they're arguing over a can of beans, that's when it's getting real bad. You might stave off any immediate aggression by handing out some provisions, but they'll be back and they know you have food. Time to get out, at night.
    For the most part I agree, but I don't think I would wait until things get that bad. It is a long trek to get to a place of 0 population... there will be many people who will figure out it is best to head into the wilderness so it is better to head out before they do. I don't imagine many will be able to make it out there, you and I both know living in the wilderness is not like camping for a week at a national park but for the most part a lot of people will not know what to do when it comes to true wilderness survival. Even something as simple as black flies, mosquito's, deer and horse flies are enough to drive a person insane if they don't know how to deal with them. Their can of bug spray will not last forever. Too many bug bites and infection will follow. Those are the people you don't want to run into in the woods, they will try to kill anyone they see in hopes of finding something on the person to help them survive one more day

We love to be scared and that is what TV is counting on for ratings. Prepping should be about surviving a short term disaster and learning skills is more about a longer term problem. Just remember, we have lives to live in the here and now, so don't let it rule you. If it is the end of times, then food and skills are worthless, better put it right with your fellow man and with your God. TV shows are never going to be sensible. It doesn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale E O View Post
    We love to be scared and that is what TV is counting on for ratings. Prepping should be about surviving a short term disaster and learning skills is more about a longer term problem. Just remember, we have lives to live in the here and now, so don't let it rule you. If it is the end of times, then food and skills are worthless, better put it right with your fellow man and with your God. TV shows are never going to be sensible. It doesn't sell.
    The other problem is; and let us be honest about this: A fair amount of the country has zero put away, but they have beer, smokes, dope, nice cars, nice gadgets and absolutely zero in disposable income.

It would be interesting to see all of us on a survival show. We would last a week on the ratings!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    It would be interesting to see all of us on a survival show. We would last a week on the ratings!
    We might be so bad that we are good. Face it: honey boo boo is fun to watch

The film crew would be bored, get up in the morning, watch me drink coffee on the porch, planin'.....then I tell them to grab the chain saw we got 'stuff" to do......lunch, nap afternoon stuff, beer at 5;00 pm, and "evaluate".

Repeat.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27