Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday preppers getting out of hand

Default Doomsday preppers getting out of hand

Ok Ok, prepping for an economic collapse or other real situation is fine, but prepping for zombies, magnetic shifts is getting out of hand and they had that one show last season with that obese lady in texas saying her weight gain was part of the prepping. Good God. And last night they had some group: 7 trumpet preppers.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-16-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Removed religious commentary

Change the channel.

Just recently started getting NatGeo, so I watched some DP re-runs. My impression was that people were prepping for events that (1) would be statistical anomalies and (2), it is doubtful they would survive the first 24 hrs, anyway.
    The lady prepping for the pandemic may have been the sanest voice in the crowd. There does not need to be a pandemic for her preps to become useful; an epidemic would do. Her preps would take her family hrough a bunch of mundane occurances, as well, and they don't have to live in a fort (or underground).
    One of the best ideas I've seen is the couple who live in a missle silo; they spent very little for it and they save a bunch on heating/cooling costs.
    I'm going to keep watching, just because it is a phenomenon.
    BTW, my prep for January is a 60 serving dehydrated meat bucket; didn't have any meat yet, (other than, like, spam and tuna). I spend less than four hours monthly prepping.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

I refuse to watch that show anymore because it is giving the sensible people that prep a bad name!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

What's it hurting you? Saying that one is prepping for zombies is just like saying one is prepping for X. X being a variable. Who cares what they name it?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by wildgarlic View Post
    Ok Ok, prepping for an economic collapse or other real situation is fine, but prepping for zombies, magnetic shifts is getting out of hand and they had that one show last season with that obese lady in texas saying her weight gain was part of the prepping. Good God. And last night they had some group: 7 trumpet preppers. If people really believed in the Bible, they would not be prepping.
    Some Christian religions believe we should be prepping; spiritually, economically, and with food not only for end days, but also for emergencies and disasters.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Look at it this way,

If Nat-Geo, Discovery, TLC is as accurate about ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES, archeology, global warming, social justice, criminal justice, food safety, gun control and everything else they try to cover on their channels, as they are on prepping, just how much CRAP is the American public using as factual data for decision making.

And I hear people constantly talking about something they saw on NG or one of the other channels and presenting it as fact with pride that they have used the TV for educational purposes!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-16-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I refuse to watch that show anymore because it is giving the sensible people that prep a bad name!
    That's the purpose of the show. Laugh at the loonies.

I stopped watching that show when the kid was making spiked clubs with baseball bats while his mom watched. That kid was a psycho and I bet he ends up shooting up a business or school eventually.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHeat View Post
    Some Christian religions believe we should be prepping; spiritually, economically, and with food not only for end days, but also for emergencies and disasters.
    Christian religions teach to always be ready for no one knows when the time will come. But it is speaking of being spiritually ready (being where you need to be with God) it is good to always be ready for a disaster, but there is such a thing as going over board like spending all your life savings on a bunker to escape y2k or the mayan calendar... many people are now bankrupt because of that stuff but we are all still here.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I'll admit to never having seen the show. We only just got any tv at all and don't have cable.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I'll admit to never having seen the show. We only just got any tv at all and don't have cable.
    It started off showing people prepping in a more zealous way and then went to document the extremists and now it is more reality TV

I watched a prepper show on YouTube. The whole thing looked absurd, my #1 reason why I stopped giving a damn about prepping. Basically, they took people and said: "Look! They're a little off AND they're prepping!"

In order to be perfectly honest, yes, there are loonies within the prepping community. Every segment of the population has them. That's life. However, this is not what defines the prepping community and there are some deep reasons why people make these changes in their lives that they do.

Having said that, in show business, it is much easier to appeal to the lowest common denominator and just make fun of preppers as crazies.

What got me back into prepping? I spoke to a priest. This man is an adjunct professor at a military higher education institution and he's into the paleo diet. After a short chat, I came to the conclusion that my previous opinions were misguided and I need to take this a little bit more serious.

Y'all are taking this way too serious.......
    Fact, Crazies have been around for ever (are they really crazy?.....well so far seems like it)
    Fact, If two people agree on something, (or more) you may have to deal with it....at some point.
    Fact, If you look hard enough you can document just about anything or point of view you can think of.....
    Fact, TV or interweb CAN be informational or BS.......

It's up to you to decide what is and what isn't.....Then follow your own counsel.

Or has been brought up.....Change the channel.........Vote with the remote.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I watched a prepper show on YouTube. The whole thing looked absurd, my #1 reason why I stopped giving a damn about prepping. Basically, they took people and said: "Look! They're a little off AND they're prepping!"

In order to be perfectly honest, yes, there are loonies within the prepping community. Every segment of the population has them. That's life. However, this is not what defines the prepping community and there are some deep reasons why people make these changes in their lives that they do.

Having said that, in show business, it is much easier to appeal to the lowest common denominator and just make fun of preppers as crazies.

What got me back into prepping? I spoke to a priest. This man is an adjunct professor at a military higher education institution and he's into the paleo diet. After a short chat, I came to the conclusion that my previous opinions were misguided and I need to take this a little bit more serious.

If you do not have some food and water stored, you are not too bright. If you have 20 yrs worth, you are a loon. Besides yellowstone blowing or UFOs attacking, the fact is the dollar will experience serious inflation and if you have some food stored, that will make your life economically easier.

There are loonies within any community.

yep I stopped watching after the 2nd show

Banned

Ok Ok, prepping for an economic collapse or other real situation is fine, but prepping for zombies, magnetic shifts is getting out of hand and they had that one show last season with that obese lady in texas saying her weight gain was part of the prepping. Good God. And last night they had some group: 7 trumpet preppers.
    When the manure hits the ventilator we'll see who's laughing then. These people will be the saviors off the planet, they will reproduce and populate the world. Sure you think they maybe crazies but you'll be knocking at their doors looking for grub.

Me.......I've got my ways and I'll survive, this I am sure of.

If you do not have some food and water stored, you are not too bright. If you have 20 yrs worth, you are a loon. Besides yellowstone blowing or UFOs attacking, the fact is the dollar will experience serious inflation and if you have some food stored, that will make your life economically easier.
    Honestly, I question stockpiling food/water beyond a year. If you have tons and tons of this stuff, it's difficult to hide it and people will become suspicious that you're fed and healthy while they're wasting away. Some will get guns and torches and will storm your home. We all like to talk tough, but when someone has a gun to our temple or our loved one, you will have a choice of seeing a life end now or give food away and try to find it some other way.

Now, if you have a skills (blacksmithing, gunsmithing, medical background, seamstress, carpenter, etc.), nobody can take that away from you and you can always find someone that will want to trade.

ever notice how survivalism and prepping flow with the ebb and tide of a economy?