Thread: Bug out kits/bags.

Question Bug out kits/bags.

This may have already been posted, if so, mods please remove. I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if it has.

Just wondering if its a better idea to just make/stage your own bug out bag, with the price of a pre-made bug out, you could probably put together a better bag, more to your needs or liking. Thoughts?

Pack what is appropriate for you and your situation, use the various premade kits for ideas about stuff that will augment your skills and knowledge should the need arise.

Hunter63, saying hey and Welcome....

As you really haven't discussed what the use would be, or level of experience, ......pretty hard to guess what you would need.

Urban, rural, wilderness?......Carry, transport, or stay put?...Natural disaster, or society induced, or personnel disasters....Short term...long term?

Lots of options....
    Basics after air,
    Shelter
    water
    food

There is an introduction section, that might fill in the blanks a bit....
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-15-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added link
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Store bought beats nothing. But nothing can beat what you deside you need. Search this forum and others and see what others have set aside then you will have a better idea what is out there. there has been as much advance in survival supplies as there has been advancement in trucks over the last 30 years. But nothing will beat sitting down and figuring out why, where to, how long and who if anybody will be with you. mwp

Welcome to the forum. I think a couple points have already been made. You do need to consider your own situation, and some pre-packaged thing is better than nothing. There are lots of threads on the subject of Bug Out Bags, which are useful for getting ideas. Describing your situation and what you've included already will bring a bunch of "you ought to add an X" responses.

If you're just getting into survival, you've figured out the right first step, a bag for yourself and each member of your family. Start with a three day bag for either a stuck in place (Bug In) or forced to evacuate (Bug Out) scenario. Also consider a "Get Home Bag" for your car in case something happens while you are away from home. You might be able to solve all these situations with one bag, or you may decide you need more than one. That's your judgement call to make.

Google "bug out supply list" or something similar and you'll get lots of suggestions on what to put in a bag. Then go to your local second hand store and pick up a used backpack or day pack for a few dollars. Start going over the list and putting in the things that make sense to you. Buy some things in bulk, because you won't want just one bag, you'll want one for each member of the family, one for the car, one for the truck, etc.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Stiffy; 01-16-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Thank you for the welcome, and the advice. Glad to have found this page, chock full of info!

When you just buy it, there is a good chance that you won't know how to use what is in it. When you make it yourself, there is a better chance that you know how to use it, and you know more about what is in it. Of course, you still need to practice using the items in the kit.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Assemble your own, and be prepared to upgrade every time you log on here. Newer and more clever ideas every day. Before buying an item for my kit, I ask myself if I can use it day or night, hot or cold, wet or dry. This criteria won't apply to every single item, but it gives you something to think about. I think most folks here would tell you that redundancy, such as Bic Lighter AND ferro rod and steel is a given for all systems. Rarely do you see a pre-packaged kit with redundant systems.
    Last edited by Delta 5168; 01-18-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hunter63, saying hey and Welcome....

As you really haven't discussed what the use would be, or level of experience, ......pretty hard to guess what you would need.

Urban, rural, wilderness?......Carry, transport, or stay put?...Natural disaster, or society induced, or personnel disasters....Short term...long term?

Lots of options....
    Basics after air,
    Shelter
    water
    food

There is an introduction section, that might fill in the blanks a bit....
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Hey Hunter, what ya gonna roast your marshmallows on? LOL

Cold steel kukri $16.00 online great knife machette.
    Harbor freight magnezium firebar $4.00
    100% cotton balls with petrolium jelly. Mabe $4.00 for alot of them

Practice practice practice.
    A bug out bag is only as good as the person using it. If you have the money buy 2 of everything and practice using one set.