Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cats & Rats

Banned

Default Cats & Rats

Perhpas you've heard of the famous Cat & Rat scheme, if not here's a link to it.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/disposal/catrat.asp

That was set up when I guess cat fur or pelts were all the rage for clothing and of course it is a scam but,..........

I have taken that theory, on a smaller scale of course, and have produced cats as a potential survival food source. IT WORKS!

One day I watched as a few cats were in my pole barn cornering a rat and then ate it. I remembered this scam thing and thought "this may work". I bought some rats and waited until I had a few dozen then caged them. I started feeding my cats the rats. My cats came to me from somewhere I'm not sure they just wandered in and stayed but they were not "fixed" I had two males and three females. As time passed one female had a litter of 3. Usually litters are 3 to 5 and a kitten/cat can get pregnant around a year old. I'm thinking the other female can't get knocked up.

Now my rats were multiplying at the same time but more babies than the cats so I fed rats to the cats. That's all they were fed nothing additional. I had seperate cages for the rats and cats and kept the young ones seperate. It seemed over the period of the last two years that this may be a viable food source.

Yes I tried eating cat and no it didn't taste like chicken, hey in case of survival I needed to know. It was a bit like rabbit and actually a bit gamey and a little tougher but food is food and it's renewable. I've eaten some cat along the way just to keep the population in check and a couple I've given away as pets.

I have another project going involving chickens but not enough data has been documented for me to post on.

So has anyone played with anything like this?

My next attempt will be aquaculture with carp.

The taste of cat or any animal will be a strong function of what they eat. If you fed them trout or salmon, you would get a slight fish taste. I know in taiwan and parts of china that rat is actually a delicacy; cat's are eaten as well.

hey Blade, your aquaculture idea, if I may make a suggestion. Also try Tilapia. I have had it once and it tasted great and then found out how it was raised: Basically it eats the feces of any animal (especially birds and mammals). Totally unappetizing, but if it is a choice to live or die.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wildgarlic View Post
    hey Blade, your aquaculture idea, if I may make a suggestion. Also try Tilapia. I have had it once and it tasted great and then found out how it was raised: Basically it eats the feces of any animal (especially birds and mammals). Totally unappetizing, but if it is a choice to live or die.
    Tilapia contains bad omega fats,
    http://www.rd.com/health/healthy-eat...a-bad-for-you/

I'd rather eat the rats which BTW are IMO better tasting than the cats.

You could probably make a fortune selling them to a couple of Chinese restaurants in your area

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    You could probably make a fortune selling them to a couple of Chinese restaurants in your area
    If it comes looks like I'll be eating a lot of stir fry

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Tilapia contains bad omega fats,
    http://www.rd.com/health/healthy-eat...a-bad-for-you/..................
    I don't think I follow you on that. I read the article, and found nothing "bad". Short maybe, but not bad. Can you elaborate a little?
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Not stealing the thread, but in Korea, dog is "numba one chop". A lot of people call squirrels "tree rats". They are cousins.
    I'm carrying around a whole lot of "me" before I have to go to unconventional critters.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The reason some animals are raised as food and others are not is due to the return in caloric intake.

Animals that we consider food do not eat the same things we eat as a rule, or can live on low grade food left over from our food procssing.

Dogs, rats and cats do not return as much in pounds of food WE could eat as they consume in the production of their body weight. They are a very inefficient food source. As such they are usually considered an expensive delicacy in the cultures where they are consumed.

One might also consider that many states consider the killing of a "domestic animal" a felony and conviction for eating cat could mean that one lost all civil rights and privilidges. Not to mention the redicule one would face after your face hit the local evening news.

I do not know why you would be "experimenting" with chickens? They have been kept as a reliable food scource for longer than any domestic animal beside the dog. Not much "experimentation" to do. Several of us here raise chickens, rabbits and other small livestock.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    I don't think I follow you on that. I read the article, and found nothing "bad". Short maybe, but not bad. Can you elaborate a little?
    Try this one,

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...d-for-you.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The reason some animals are raised as food and others are not is due to the return in caloric intake.

Animals that we consider food do not eat the same things we eat as a rule, or can live on low grade food left over from our food procssing.

Dogs, rats and cats do not return as much in pounds of food WE could eat as they consume in the production of their body weight. They are a very inefficient food source. As such they are usually considered an expensive delicacy in the cultures where they are consumed.

One might also consider that many states consider the killing of a "domestic animal" a felony and conviction for eating cat could mean that one lost all civil rights and privilidges. Not to mention the redicule one would face after your face hit the local evening news.

I do not know why you would be "experimenting" with chickens? They have been kept as a reliable food scource for longer than any domestic animal beside the dog. Not much "experimentation" to do. Several of us here raise chickens, rabbits and other small livestock.
    The "law" won't much matter when the poo hits, now will it? I think there will be a few more important things to worry about than me eating cats. "Ridicule" about what me eating a cat?......what about a rabbit or chicken that people raise?......please.

As far as animals being raised on by products, you're right it's crap. A mouse or rat contains all the proper nutrients needed for a perfect cat meal, then a great meal for me. You can stick to your dried, canned food that's years old.....I'll go with fresh meat and some gathered greens.
    Last edited by Blade; 01-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.

1.jpg 2.jpg 13.jpg 4.jpg

3.jpg

Here's a few critters I experimented with... turns out salt and pepper turned out to be the best overall topping to make anything taste good
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Well then there is always.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The "law" won't much matter when the poo hits, now will it? I think there will be a few more important things to worry about than me eating cats. "Ridicule" about what me eating a cat?......what about a rabbit or chicken that people raise?......please.

As far as animals being raised on by products, you're right it's crap. A mouse or rat contains all the proper nutrients needed for a perfect cat meal, then a great meal for me. You can stick to your dried, canned food that's years old.....I'll go with fresh meat and some gathered greens.
    Yes, but the poo has not hit yet and you are already digging in!

You go eat your nice fresh mouse and maggot meal and I will suffer through eating my baked spam and pinapple, fresh eggs, baked chicken and fried rabbit with garden grown veggies and a few sliced tomatoes.

One thing about it though, you really do go for the shock value in every post!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I still don't get the "bad" part. Omega 3 and 6 are both essential fatty acids.

An excerpt from Wiki:

The article you provided, and the link, question the balance of the two in Tilapia. Assuming that is an issue, adding some flaxseed to the side salad should fix that right up. There is no bad food, only bad cooks.

I would think you would need to supplement both of those essentials with the "Cat and Rat" diet.
    Last edited by intothenew; 01-18-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

The easiest two small animals to raise are rabbits and chickens. Rabbits can be fed on what grows in your yard. You would have to dry it out for winter use. Chickens are omnivores and can eat what we eat. Rats can eat whatever we eat as well, but they aren't as easy as chickens. Plus they don't give you eggs, or kill all the bugs in the yard, or fertilize all your crops. Chickens also taste better. I don't see the point in cats. The farther down the food chain you process at, the more inefficient.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    The easiest two small animals to raise are rabbits and chickens. Rabbits can be fed on what grows in your yard. You would have to dry it out for winter use. Chickens are omnivores and can eat what we eat. Rats can eat whatever we eat as well, but they aren't as easy as chickens. Plus they don't give you eggs, or kill all the bugs in the yard, or fertilize all your crops. Chickens also taste better. I don't see the point in cats. The farther down the food chain you process at, the more inefficient.
    I agree with this. The picture of the rabbit I posted above is one of two Flemish Giant rabbits I had. I breed them and sell most of them for meat. They get huge and reproduce like... well, like rabbits. The one in the picture was young. When they are full size it is nothing for them to reach about 50lbs or more. As finallyMe said, costs nothing to feed them, other than winter. But by that time they are all in the freezer accept for the two breeders you choose to keep. I'm sure they would taste much better then cats.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    I agree with this. The picture of the rabbit I posted above is one of two Flemish Giant rabbits I had. I breed them and sell most of them for meat. They get huge and reproduce like... well, like rabbits. The one in the picture was young. When they are full size it is nothing for them to reach about 50lbs or more. As finallyMe said, costs nothing to feed them, other than winter. But by that time they are all in the freezer accept for the two breeders you choose to keep. I'm sure they would taste much better then cats.
    You had a chinchilla colored flemish? That's awesome.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I hope I have prepared well enough, that it would be a long time before I have to eat cat rat or dog if at all ever.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"