Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Land in the middle of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Most granite will work very well.

Not sure. I'd probably relocate closer to the stone. Good question though, a point to consider more carefully.

Not following you. What's cipherin'? Are you talking about insulation? If so, then positioning your house in direct sunlight would be key. The reason why is so that the house can absorb light in the day and radiate it out in the night (another heating solution ).

Cipherin', whether coined or not, was made famous by Jethro Bodine. I use it as slang defining mathematical complexity, it' just below figurin'.

To loosely quote Jed;

"If brains was lard, Jethro couldn't grease a pan."

R is a measure of insulation. The higher the number, the more insulation value. One foot of stone is roughly equivalent to 3/4 inch of plywood.

Collecting the energy of the sun using thermal mass is a valid theory, but you may be overlooking the size/thickness blanket that you need to hold it. Even at five hours of sunshine, at that latitude the energy is incredibly reduced by the angle of incidence and it's worse when you need it most.
    Last edited by intothenew; 01-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Sorry, don't mean to be a Debbi Downer but Nome has permafrost, one of the reasons for no trees. Solar? Keep in mind they are still a pretty northern latitude and only has 4-5 hours of sunlight in the winter, that's when the sky is uncovered. Since it's on the ocean, there are not many sunny days at all. Lots of overcast. And mosquitoes live in tundra.
    Ok, what parts of AK doesn't have permafrost ?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

LOL I don't know. Google is your friend.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Honestly, if it's an abandoned town that's a ways off, that might also work. At least the roads are already there and I can use some of the buildings for fuel .

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Honestly, if it's an abandoned town that's a ways off, that might also work. At least the roads are already there and I can use some of the buildings for fuel .
    Wouldn't somebody else already own them? Good luck with all of that!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Most of our state lives off the road system. But if you are considering moving near Nome, perhaps you should learn how to spell it.
    Personally, I like the name "Gnome." It has a kind of fantasy feel to it.

Your all over the place here Yves... first you want to be self sufficient and live in the middle of nowhere way off the grid with no possible road access... now your looking to live in an abandoned town that has fuel left and that "at least has road access"... why don't you just stay where you are? there is lots of fuel and road access right now I'm sure
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

You can't drive to Nome dude. There is NO road.

You can't drive to Nome dude. There is NO road.
    Nome is Nome-more in question lol. He has moved onto seeking an abandoned town in Alaska with road access and salvageable leftover fuel now.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    Nome is Nome-more in question lol. He has moved onto seeking an abandoned town in Alaska with road access and salvageable leftover fuel now.
    All that AANND without getting shot? Doesn't exist.

No harm in daydreaming

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    Your all over the place here Yves... first you want to be self sufficient and live in the middle of nowhere way off the grid with no possible road access... now your looking to live in an abandoned town that has fuel left and that "at least has road access"... why don't you just stay where you are? there is lots of fuel and road access right now I'm sure
    Heh. That one is day-dreaming.

My biggest concern is that should something go wrong with either the economy or the food supply, hungry people are something to look out for. In Ukraine's Holodomor artificial famine, people resorted to cannibalism, I shudder to think what would happen if you get enough people who have guns.

If the location is very remote and difficult to get to and I don't advertise it to the world (like on a public forum ), I'll be fine.

Heh. That one is day-dreaming.

My biggest concern is that should something go wrong with either the economy or the food supply, hungry people are something to look out for. In Ukraine's Holodomor artificial famine, people resorted to cannibalism, I shudder to think what would happen if you get enough people who have guns.

If the location is very remote and difficult to get to and I don't advertise it to the world (like on a public forum ), I'll be fine.
    I agree 100% that sticking around anywhere that is populated to any degree while having a food supply is not too bright. I also agree giving away the remote location to anyone who will not be in the traveling party is not too bright ether. Can't argue with you on any of that.

Yves, here is a link to a long read about a young man who moved to Alaska to "get away from it all" and live the remote life, etc. He also lists the necessary supplies he needed to live for a trapping season. He also had help and advice from a man who'd lived there for a long time and knew the ropes.

Nevertheless, it was extremely hard for him to survive... and he did not even go there to build a stone house.

This might give you an idea of what you'll face, just in the logistics of surviving out in the far north boonies. "Lessons Learned From An Alaskan Trapper."

http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/09/...arlessons.html

Good luck.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 01-17-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Yves, here is a link to a long read about a young man who moved to Alaska to "get away from it all" and live the remote life, etc. He also lists the necessary supplies he needed to live for a trapping season. He also had help and advice from a man who'd lived there for a long time and knew the ropes.

Nevertheless, it was extremely hard for him to survive... and he did not even go there to build a stone house.

This might give you an idea of what you'll face, just in the logistics of surviving out in the far north boonies. "Lessons Learned From An Alaskan Trapper."

Good luck.

S.M.
    Thanks, will digest when I have a moment.

One thing to keep in mind.....being cut off for any length of time, can be extremely hard, you would be surprised to find what what you run out of....and miss.
    We live in a call for pizza 24/7 stores with anything open, and now nothing.

The was a guy that stopped in here a while back, actually joined to sell his far north Canadian home stead.....complete.

Pretty interesting guy, and hung out while until he figured none here had a million buck to spend....but did mention that he/they, flew out several hundred miles just for ice cream....if that give you an idea....

Something to consider.
    Personally did a couple of dry run "bug outs" to a BOL, already stocked....just to see effective how our planning was......two weeks and little stuff started to show up...water filters, TP, candy....'stuff"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Your goal is lofty. You might want to look at other places in the US, or even Canada, places without permafrost. Montana was a good suggestion.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind.....being cut off for any length of time, can be extremely hard, you would be surprised to find what what you run out of....and miss.
    We live in a call for pizza 24/7 stores with anything open, and now nothing.
    Either my wife or before I got married, I prepared 99% of the food myself . Ate far less sugar in the first place. Sure, I'll miss some things, but that means that when I go back to 'civilization', I'll enjoy it that much more. The one that that I would want that would be considered a luxury is a laptop with Linux installed on it and a bunch of my books on that hard-drive (and a power source).
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    The was a guy that stopped in here a while back, actually joined to sell his far north Canadian home stead.....complete.

Pretty interesting guy, and hung out while until he figured none here had a million buck to spend....but did mention that he/they, flew out several hundred miles just for ice cream....if that give you an idea....

Something to consider.
    Personally did a couple of dry run "bug outs" to a BOL, already stocked....just to see effective how our planning was......two weeks and little stuff started to show up...water filters, TP, candy....'stuff"
    Haha, wow, a million bucks for a remote place? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Your goal is lofty. You might want to look at other places in the US, or even Canada, places without permafrost. Montana was a good suggestion.
    That's what I'm thinking too. Don't get me wrong, the problem is not the cold, it's the frozen dirt . Even if there are no trees in a location, I don't mind growing some pines, but when you're trying to grow all that on an ice-cube, forget it.

[edit]

Although, even Nome must have some bedrock (small mountains) sticking out here and there out of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post

Good luck.

S.M.
    Thanks for sharing that with me. That was a good read and an even better blog.

Basically, I'd do most of my work during the warmer times of the year. The primary goal would be to live close enough to a river so that I can have a boat when it gets warm. The first plan would be to put together a structure that can withstand the cold, even if it's made out of wood. Then, to build something stone-solid, develop some form of agriculture (pine nuts, chickens and goats, baby!), hunt and fish.

[edit]

One thing that I haven't wrapped my mind 100% around is, what does this word mean: TEOTWAWKI