Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Land in the middle of nowhere

Default Land in the middle of nowhere

I know, I know. I've read the posts with warnings that this will be hard. I'm well aware. However, I still have my fair share of questions. For example, take the below example.

http://her.is/VSBvj

It's a little north-west of Gnome Alaska (you'll need to zoom out a bit to get a better sense as to where this is). Cold and uninhabited. How much would 100 acres cost me there?

Just a quick bit of Googlefu revealed $250,000 to $1,000,000.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just a quick bit of Googlefu revealed $250,000 to $1,000,000.
    In the middle of nowhere? There isn't even a road into it. No offense, but could you please provide a link, I'm doubtful of this claim.

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

That's the thing, how are you going to get back and forth to your property? How will you get supplies? Bush pilots are expensive, ask Sourdough, he's bee one as well as a realator over there.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    That's the thing, how are you going to get back and forth to your property? How will you get supplies? Bush pilots are expensive, ask Sourdough, he's bee one as well as a realator over there.
    This is largely a hypothetical question . I know that what I'm asking is not going to be easy, but I still want to know.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-13-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Most of our state lives off the road system. But if you are considering moving near Nome, perhaps you should learn how to spell it.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Cool Right...!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    This is largely a hypothetical question . I know that what I'm asking is not going to be easy, but I still want to know.
    And that's the point of my previous post. Every thing in Alaska is 3 to 4 times higher than what we're used to in the lower 48! I was watching the program on Nat. Geo., about the State Police in Alaska and there was a shot inside a grocery store; milk was almost 10 dollars a gallon, and that was several years ago! There's very little resources that come directly from Alaska, most of it has to be shipped in from outside the state, hence the high price tag. It's not just the land you need to think about, but the whole picture. Sourdough has posted land prices on here in the past and that's probably where Crash got his figures. It's going to depend on what you want. Land with water will be a premium, and cost a lot more than the arrid, dry land.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

It's doable with enough $. Barge your building supplies up the Snake River. Cache them on shore nearest your property and wait for winter. Once winter sets in, start hauling supplies to your building site via snow machine and sled. The next summer, start building. So what did you have in mind to use as a heat source? You know there are no trees in that area right?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    It's doable with enough $. Barge your building supplies up the Snake River. Cache them on shore nearest your property and wait for winter. Once winter sets in, start hauling supplies to your building site via snow machine and sled. The next summer, start building. So what did you have in mind to use as a heat source? You know there are no trees in that area right?
    Living in the middle of nowhere with no hydro and no tree's for heat... to get enough gas to run a generator for any length of time is hard to imagine... I'm excited to see if there is a possible answer to your question 1stimestar!
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

People do do it. I have good friends that do. They haul stuff up the Yukon River on their boat in the summer, and haul stuff over the river in the winter on the ice. But they had a pretty large initial expenditure, do expeditions by dog sled for the Sierra Club, scientists, and tourists in the winter. Not a lot of money but an awesome way of life. You can check out their place on my blog as I go visit them every year. Oh but this is the Interior and we have trees.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

I know that what I'm asking is not going to be easy, but I still want to know.
    Well, Then you should hire a Professional Real Estate Consultant/Appraiser to write a report. I can do this work if you would like.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I get nothing on the link but a blank page with a blue dot that says Nome.

It seems that everyone thinks all of Alaska is alike and you just walk in and trees fall into a cabin shaped pile and moose jump into your oven.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I get nothing on the link but a blank page with a blue dot that says Nome.

It seems that everyone thinks all of Alaska is alike and you just walk in and trees fall into a cabin shaped pile and moose jump into your oven.
    I had a mental picture of what you described hahaha!
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Use the slide bar to span farther out.

People do do it. I have good friends that do. They haul stuff up the Yukon River on their boat in the summer, and haul stuff over the river in the winter on the ice. But they had a pretty large initial expenditure, do expeditions by dog sled for the Sierra Club, scientists, and tourists in the winter. Not a lot of money but an awesome way of life. You can check out their place on my blog as I go visit them every year. Oh but this is the Interior and we have trees.
    Wow! I love your pictures!! Aurora borealis always amazes me. Such beautiful land.

Look into central Montana. It's alot more realistic and do-able than AK. Did you know that the further north you go the less game there is?

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    Wow! I love your pictures!! Aurora borealis always amazes me. Such beautiful land.
    Thanks. My best friend just loaned me her Nikon D200 so now I have to learn to use that. Of course, it takes fantastic pictures. I just have to learn how to use the settings.

Thanks. My best friend just loaned me her Nikon D200 so now I have to learn to use that. Of course, it takes fantastic pictures. I just have to learn how to use the settings.
    I googled some pics around Nome... I see what you mean about there being no tree's! Beautiful place to do some hunting/backpacking but I wouldn't want to live there. I would go nuts after a while not seeing any tree's, myself personally.

Be sure to take lots more pics while you have the camera. Hope you share the pics with us, I look forward to seeing them!

Interesting history
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I'll teleport it there .