Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you own hogs, shoot them all and eat them!

Blog Entries

If they're built the same, they may well think the same.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I was told that my ex's grandmother had a pig valve in her heart. I'm surpised they found one (Oh, did I say that?).
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

They used a pig tendon in my shoulder. It served as a scaffold for my body to rebuild on. Seems to have worked okay. I had this aversion to bacon for a while but it didn't last long.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

pshaw. Us kids played with the pigs all the time. Unless you aint feeding them enough ground grain, most of them wont bother to eat much else. I've seen 1 out of a dozen come eat 1 or more of the other's nuts, when we castrated some, tho. And the "cut" ones have to be separated from the others until they heal up, too.

One thing we found the very first year slaughtering hogs was that they can and will cannibalize each other with the slightest provocation. We didn't think we'd need to put the pig in a separate pen, so we just lured the chosen hog off away from the others and fired the shot. Unfortunately the first shot didn't quite do the job (shot was a little off) and the other hogs immediately came over to investigate...and began fighting over licking the blood off of the poor beast. Thankfully they were still fairly small (under 200 lbs) so we managed to shove them off, put the downed hog out of its misery, and pull the corpse out to get on with the slaughtering and butchering. Never looked at those cute little pigs the same way again...

I guess all nof this makes sense. I once heard that pig flesh tastes very simular to human flesh, so if they will eat each other, why wouldn't they eat us! They are probably thinking revenge for all of that bacon

Watching a pig eat another's nuts would be enough for me to stay faaaaar away from the pig pen!

Yep - stay away from another's cashews and pecans or it could get ugly.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We don't seem to have the problems listed here. Yes, they will lick up the blood from a stuck pig, but that is why you do it away from the others or move quickly. We raise russian boar and they are some of the friendliest and most intelligent pigs there are. They are mostly pastured and love to eat grass.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Went archery hunting wild boar at a game ranch. The pigs followed us around but staying back about 30 yards. When we shot the first boar, the pigs clustered around but stayed back when we` gave them a good swift kick in the ribs or head. No aggression toward us. After we put the gutted hog in the wheeler and stood back from the gut pile, they dived in to the guts and fought over them. It seemed clear to me that the pigs associated hunters with a free meal. One very gravid sow with a very soulful look on her face followed my buddy around until the first kill, staying about fifteen yards from him. Lots of poking fun at him over "his girl friend".
    Geezer Squad #2

As the old saying goes, "I ain't had this much fun since the hogs ate my little brother!"

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

The lady that lives behind me lets her pigs run all over my property. I've been so tempted to shoot them and make bacon out of them more times than I can count but the lady who owns them is a widow and raises them to supplement her income so I don't have the heart to put the lead to them. Pound for pound, swine are probably the most destructive animals on Earth. They've destroyed three good tarps, a cheap-o Wal-Mart tent, tore up my ground blinds, made mud holes out of my game trails and knocked over my neat piles of firewood. I used to wish we had a population of wild pigs closer to where I live for year round bow hunting but after seeing what a handful of domestics pigs can do I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.
    Best Regards,
    Stu from Kentucky

Pigs are a nuisance animal and in many states you are encouraged to hunt them.

The movie I think "Hannibal" had the giant boars that the man wanted to feed Lecter too.

Boar has for a very long time been considered one of the more dangerous game animals and for good reason. Pigs are smart, strong, and quick... very bad combination hell even lions give them space and approach wisely when hunting them..

This thread took me back aways. We had some meat pigs. And then we had Esmerelda. Big sow that thought she was part of the dog pack on the farm. She'ld accompany the dogs down the lane to see us off to catch the bus in the morning and be there when the bus dropped us off in the afternoon. Laid in the sun with the Great Danes and cats on a lazy day. Had her own dog food bowl. The meat pigs were entirely another story and were not to be trusted. We kids "got" that scene when Dorothy felled into the pigpen in the movie "The Wizard of Oz" immediately. I suppose most people nowadays don't get the fear in that scene at all.