Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Techniques for trapping/snaring deer for knife kill?

I live in a very Deer populated area in rural South Mississippi. Its not unusual to drive up & see 15 in my front yard, walk out with a 10 point on my porch, etc....but, I can go out in the woods and hunt, & its a different story. What appears to have been a carefree cow, or walking meal, in there territory, is suddenly a very elusive animal. If you walked on your home & a 200lb Buck was sitting in your recliner, smoking a cigar & reading a paper, we would notice something strange, because it ease in Our territory. When I am in there territory, the deer know I am there,.most of the time. Yes I walk up on them,& they panic. Can you snare one, it can & I am sure has been done. I saw a documentary where some South Americans actually run there deer on foot, till the deer give out, then they kill them with bamboo spears! I have snared large animals, with smaller brains than deer, animals that scientists say cannot process thoughts. I have watched for weeks as a gator would go to the same slide he always crossed, with a snare he couldn't see, no physical signs I had been there,& a nice rotten chicken hanging,& watch him, notice & go around it. Yes, the next day I may have gotten him, but this is a gator, not a deer. (Gators were problem gators taken by permission of the Mississippi Wildlife Conservation Department)
    Anyway, all I am saying,1. never underestimate Any Animals Instincts, 2. No matter how much dirt time, deer still know there turf better than me. 3. In bushcraft, snaring is a very pratical means of getting some kind of meat, with practice, time,& patience, in most real life Survival situations ( not all), your window of life is so short, its best to focus on getting out, instead of dying with snares out.
    But I would like to know if anyone on here has snared a deer,& some pictures. Cool subject
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Carney; 02-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.

And they get the flier two days before season opens. So.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Carney View Post
    ...1. never underestimate Any Animals Instincts...
    I tried to snare a donkey last week (long story... job related). I rigged a lariat in a 3' gate with the bottom of the loop at chest level, and the top of the loop above head level. My thoughts were that we would drive the donkey through the gate, the snare would hit his chest, and then tighten around his neck. Using a hay string, I set it up so the rope would break free, leaving the donkey dragging the tail along, making it possible for us to then catch him without injury.

Well, the donkey ran up to the trap, skid-stopped, grabbed the rope in his teeth, shook violently, causing the whole deal to fall down, and then proceeded through the gate. I have no idea if a donkey is smarter than a deer, but prior to this experience, I would have assumed the same setup would catch a deer. I think it would require considerably more savvy, even for a backyard cornfed deer.
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

Amen men!

Deer can be caught in snares and thats why they deer stops on the snares. Read the rules for an instruction manual on how to snare deer. The arguement against the strict regulations is that it's more difficult to snare coyotes and they create a larger coyote population which results in a smaller deer population. I have seen deer caught in wire fences. They can be trapped or snared like any animal, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a savvy animal.
    We have thousands of people every year who dispatch deer. It isn't rocket science. I use a club since it's quick and human and I don't like to get blood on the back of my pant legs when I drag them out.

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Deer can be caught in snares and thats why they deer stops on the snares. Read the rules for an instruction manual on how to snare deer. The arguement against the strict regulations is that it's more difficult to snare coyotes and they create a larger coyote population which results in a smaller deer population. I have seen deer caught in wire fences. They can be trapped or snared like any animal, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a savvy animal.
    We have thousands of people every year who dispatch deer. It isn't rocket science. I use a club since it's quick and human and I don't like to get blood on the back of my pant legs when I drag them out.
    I understand you can snare deer..bit there sharp, cunning. I an off the grid situation , with all the tome in the world, and the Know How, you may get one, if you can stay off there paths, don't leave signs or sent, but if the scenario is a survival scenario with a life span window, I doubt your gonna feed before dying. And cutting his throat, bleeding him out with a pmoore, works very well..& u still have the brains. I have trapped a lot of our Mississippi game, from coons to.latge gators. But, I have a lot more failure. Some may think this is inexperiece, but it is the animals instinkd. I posted a picture of an 8 1/2 fro gator I snared, jumped him& cut his spinal column. O have accomplished this much easier by just jumping on there back, less struggle. Anyway, Yes it can be done, but we would all like to see pictures and true.statistics of it, how many, & how long it took. I am very interested. Note, anyone Snaring, check with your local laws. If the SHTF, that overides those laws imhop....this would be great trapping/snaring/bushcraft practice, but in a Survival Scenario, that has a short window of lifespan, forget it. I am a fairly good tracker, but again, they know somethings wrong in there turf. I m not saying anyone doesn't know what there talking about, I am just throwing the rug out, that this is a Difficult task. I would love to see pictures of the event...cool brothers

I don't set up deer snares so I can't give you any photos, log books with statistics explaining what your probabilities would be. I've recurve bow hunted, dispatched and dragged out more deer than I could count. I know just about how smart they are. Sometimes unbelievably smart, sometimes unbelievably dumb.
    I'd rather not stick them in the chest of cut their throat before I drag them out because if you hit the lungs they bleed out the nose and it gets on your back legs as you are dragging. When you cut the throat, the blood splashes on your legs. When you drag out a deer his nose should be against your butt, now five feet behind you as they sometimes show in magazine pictures. But, if you don't mind washing your pants that night, it's not a big deal I guess.

A little off subject, but I have gotten into the ground field dressing & quartering on location when in woods. Not hanging the dear, but using hide or tarp, after cutting throat & quartering plus getting all other meat while never removing deer off the ground. Many North American Indians do it, and easy to pack or keep at camp without puleys,& hangers. But I haven't snared one. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by Carney; 02-08-2014 at 06:54 AM.

First let me say that I have never snared a deer. Though I am sure it is possible.
    But as to the second part of the question about taking one with a knife. They routinely get tangled in fences here during rut, and I have harvested several that way.
    My point being that a large mature buck in full adrenaline surge, fighting for it's life does not ''go gently into that good night''. You may find in a survival situation that the chance of coming out cut up, kicked battered and bruised might be more than you bargain for.
    Just a thought, be careful.

I normally wouldn't respond to a question like this but I am making an exception. In a survival situation (a real one) you definately do not want to sustain injuries, you do want to conserve energy, and you want to perform everything you do with as little wasted effort as possible. Having said that what I'm going to relate is harsh to the animal, messy, and not a thing which should be done without genuine need. It works. I was tought this by a SEAL Hospital Corpman Chief who gave my unit survival training. Forget the bs about snaring/knifing a wild animal & don't jump out of a tree onto an animal.
    Carry a container of salt with you into the back country (multiple uses).
    Carry a few double edge razor blades. Embed the razor blade at just below head height of deer along a pathway they travel. Cover it with salt.
    The deer will lick the salt and cut it's tounge. It will hurt but it won't taste the blood because of the salt. You will have your deer.
    Do not go out into the back country deliberately unprepared and use this method or rely on it as a primary means of obtaining a game animal. We did it in the military during survival training and I have never seen or heard of it being done since then (early 70's). If it isn't a matter of survival no one has any business doing something ugly like this. I certainly haven't.

Why kill it, if you won't be able to find it when it dies?
    "everything's temporary if you give it enough time" J Kilcher

www.HoofRehab.com

It won't be far but if someone lacks the skills to find it then they shouldn't use this method. It's for when things are so serious that your life depends on that food, rather than just being hungry for awhile. Not for weekend jaunts, for emergencies.

Well, I had a great laugh over that one. Thanks. A couple of questions though...

1. In a survival situation (a real one) what if you don't have a container of salt and a couple of razor blades? Could you use a sharp stick and pee on it? Bear said it's kinda salty.
    2. Do you think a deer would lick a razor blade multiple times? Because I'm thinking a cut tongue might not kill a deer. I'm also thinking the deer might not be all jiggy about licking it a second time. The first time it licked the blade the deer would be all, "Holy crap! That hurt. I'm not doin' that again." Then walk away all ticked off. Now, I am no expert on deer with cut tongues but I've had a cut tongue before and that's pretty much what I did.
    3. Would a few snares be a whole lot better? You can make expedient snares and the animal is laying right there for you. The only thing better would be a Popiel Pocket Snare Skinner, which every one should carry. They don't cost much. But wait! If you order today they'll send......
    4. I don't have the skills to track a deer with a cut tongue any more than I have the skills to track a deer that's constipated. But I'll work on that.

You don't have to answer any of those. Just random thoughts I had.

Interesting read here:

http://maxzimmer.com/wp-content/uplo...-Your-Sins.pdf

So now you've heard about it again....unless that's your site.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It works. If you don't believe it then don't. Just keep asking what if. Personally I think dropping out of a tree onto an animal is a bad idea but I didn't insult anyone here who thought differently. I seldom respond to questions like this as there is usually a lot of people who think they know everything.
    If you don't think it works then don't. I really don't care. I only posted this in an attempt to keep someone from injuring theirself and maybe keep them alive. I don't know what that link you put in is but I have no site and why would you assume I have one.

You might reread my post. I made no assumption. How can you possibly think an animal would continue to lacerate itself without regard to pain? You've actually done this and it works? Is that right? You've actually done this?

Yes. Once. It was during survival training when with I.U.W.G.1 Sensor team that was given by SEAL team (as was all our training). None of us liked it but we learned it. If you are sick or injured this is a way to maybe obtain food. It's one thing to fashion traps or snares if you're healthy but what about if you're not?
    Wounded, loss of blood, broken limbs, broken fingers, burns, fever or a back or head injury- for example as a result of a surgery I had a spinal headache which hurt to the point of incapacitating me. I could only remain sitting upright (not able to stand) for about a minute. I may have been able to fashion this but not a snare/trap. A spinal headache results from not having enough spinal fluid to support the brain and mine felt as though my brain was in my neck.
    I merely offer this as one more method to enable a person to survive when other options are unworkable.
    As for the deer continuing to lick the salt- deer don't reason. Deer don't think "ouch that hurts so I won't do that anymore".
    The deer wants the salt, the scent/taste of blood which would warn the deer off is confused by the salt much the same way as a moth is not warned off by the heat of the flame.
    If you don't place this where deer frequent (ie- a game trail) then it won't work just like a snare won't work under the same circumstances. I've never done this in the 40 or so years since then and wouldn't think of doing it as a way of hunting. If my or my childrens lives, or even the life of just another human being were on the line however, I wouldn't think of not doing it. I consider it to be ethically borderline even within the criteria I just mentioned.

@ Galuyasdi - how many times have you either used this technique or personally observed it in action.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Galuyasdi
    As for the deer continuing to lick the salt- deer don't reason. Deer don't think "ouch that hurts so I won't do that anymore".
    The deer wants the salt, the scent/taste of blood which would warn the deer off is confused by the salt much the same way as a moth is not warned off by the heat of the flame.

Using that logic deer wouldn't run when shot, attempt to flee when approached or even be cautious when feeding. Mammals feel pain for a reason; to prevent injury and death. It's a basic instinct even in man. Deer would not lay down in a fire any more than they would lick a razor blade repeatedly. Deer do reason. That's why they are cunning. It may not be the same level of reasoning as man but then again, we walk out in front of vehicles too and tell our friends, "Hey, ya'll, watch this."

If you want to believe in this that's your right. Personally, I'll spend my energy and calories on much more productive methods if the need arises. I wouldn't do this any more than I'd bail out of tree on top of an animal or try to rig up a deer trap. Too many calories spent for the return. I leave it at that.

I've been trapping for over 40 years and even though anything is possible I will stick to proven techniques. Proven to me, applied to anything that moves.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Never done it, but this is what I would do if I had to. I would take a big log, about as heavy as I could lift. I'd tie 750 paracord to one end so it will not come off no matter what. I'd prop the log up against a tree near a dear trail. Then I'd throw the rope up over a thick limb above. I'd tie a cow bell or jingle bell to it and then make a snare loop on the end. I'd place the loop about 4 feet above the trail with a wide opening in case there is an antlered deer that gets caught in it.

What'll happen is the deer will come through and get its neck or head caught. It will pull with all its might and the log will be yanked off the side of the tree and go from upright to horizontal on the ground. This will lift the deer up several more feet, utterly strangling it. Meanwhile that cowbell is ringing like crazy from all the vibrations in the line. You'll hear it from a mile away and come running and stab that thing in it's vitals when it is strung up by the neck and most vulnerable.
    Last edited by ninjasurvivor; 07-15-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~