Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Techniques for trapping/snaring deer for knife kill?

Yeah, but I think the OP wanted to know ...... what would Rambo do?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

erm , gulp , just realised im maybe a bit of a wimp

Fear not. Coffee and bacon will man you right up. We also believe in liberal amounts of Danish (the pastry, not the people).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

No , can't drink coffee , makes me hyper ....... but Danish pastries

what would rambo do? WWRD? lmao

I've stuck a few deer in the chest while aiming for the heart. I've often missed the heart and the deer went on to live for quite a while. What I've done for many years is club them in the head since it's less dangerous and it dispatches them quickly if you hit them hard enough.
    I've had deer wake up in my van when I didn't use enough force, so don't give them a love tap.
    If you have fences and crops where the deer are feeding, then look at the fence from the road and go to the place where the fence is low or down. They will cross there where is is easiest.
    If a deer wasn't severely injured and tired then the lasso idea sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittish Prepper View Post
    wouldn't it be easier (and safer) to sit in your truck at the edge of a field around dusk and just run it over?
    Now you are talking "road kill grocery shopping"....best done at night,... '58 rusted out Dodge Power wagon 4X4 with 38" Buckshots, with well pipe bumpers....the preferred "implement".

And I use the term "road kill" loosely .....The "road" being any thing the truck can make it thru..........
    But be aware it kind of embarrassing to be blasting down the road, with barbed wire strung across the grill, and a couple of wood post banging against the sides......

Quart of brew out the side window of a '57 Chevy at 70 miles per hour, also does a good job....kinda tricky these days.....

Just realized I am repeating my self.....LOL
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-29-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by BushCraft View Post
    I'm looking for a technique to trap or snare a deer in a situation that it could be quickly and effectively be killed with a knife. Due to the trouble of owning a rifle (Or even a bow) over here it's not always possible to have one for hunting. So I am wondering if there are any simple techniques for hunting or snaring deer to be taken down with a knife.

I'm also open to suggestions for alternatives (Entire different perspective on the situation?) or techniques to perform the kill (The current thought for a kill is to bring the knife into the heart either between ribs or shoulder, as it is much much faster than a slit throat and bleed out).

I know in a survival situation we don't always have the option of pleasantries, but I would like to minimize stress to the animal before and during the kill if at all possible. Any advice on this would be more than welcome.
    one way to trap a deer,you could make a spring spear trap not hard plus keeps you and yours out of harms way,the trap keeps you from having to get with in knife range not a good plan. not to mention pit fall trap but its a lot of work.

It may just be me but I'm beginning to believe the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

I've never tried to stab, strangle, poke, prod, thump, bump or hammer a deer. It doesn't seem too logical to me to even attempt a stunt like that. I've always just slipped my index finger in one of their nostrils and led them home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It may just be me but I'm beginning to believe the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

I've never tried to stab, strangle, poke, prod, thump, bump or hammer a deer. It doesn't seem too logical to me to even attempt a stunt like that. I've always just slipped my index finger in one of their nostrils and led them home.
    So that's where the saying "Yes Dear"....comes from.....Make that "Yes, Deer"

You could always use a bow trap. Simple. Build a crossbow like trap and set it with a trip wire. Place it on a deer run on a creek. I have set several. Never taken a deer but did get a turkey my first time and a fox another. But be very careful. This is a lethal trap. Check it with this thought. Best research it and practice a few in the yard.
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 10-29-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post
    You could always use a bow trap. Simple. Build a crossbow like trap and set it with a trip wire. Place it on a deer run on a creek. I have set several. Never taken a deer but did get a turkey my first time and a fox another. But be very careful. This is a lethal trap. Check it with this thought. Best research it and practice a few in the yard.
    Remind me to stay out of Mississippi....

Maybe try one of these?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Haha no need to fear the bow trap down here. We buy ammo before toilet paper around here. I doubt this trap has the power to take a deer. The fox I got still ran 20 yards after to arrow fell out

All kidding aside,snaring deer is a excellent way to get meat.The best way is setting on trails with cable snares sized for wolves.A deer will kill itself within a very short time due to their flight instinct.A strong cable with swivels will hold a deer long enough for the deer to expire.As far as using a knife,bad idea,instead as suggested in other post,use a spear/knife on a long pole.Another way is to learn the art of bow making.

There too fast, these are easier
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

How much did you pay that dinosaur to pose with you?

A bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    All kidding aside,snaring deer is a excellent way to get meat.The best way is setting on trails with cable snares sized for wolves.A deer will kill itself within a very short time due to their flight instinct.A strong cable with swivels will hold a deer long enough for the deer to expire.As far as using a knife,bad idea,instead as suggested in other post,use a spear/knife on a long pole.Another way is to learn the art of bow making.
    How many deer have you personally gotten using this method?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    How many deer have you personally gotten using this method?

Snare set through a trail. Odds are it will kill itself before you get to it (choke). Dispatch with the back side of an axe (not the blade side in case you weren't sure)