Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Techniques for trapping/snaring deer for knife kill?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Whatever "IT" is apparently "IT" can be survived with the contents of a backpack so those of us with a house and a pantry may never realize "IT" has happened!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

For Pete's sake, don't forget the luminous paint! Gotta have that luminosity on your pantry other wise it's no good!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

No luminous paint, but I do have a roll of luminous Duct Tape.

You can run around sticking that to things and not worry about giving it time to dry!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh I had a roll of glow in the dark tape once. Is that the same thing? That stuff was super fun.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Yea that's the stuff. Duct Tape still makes it.

Learned some neat things from this thread so I'll put in some of what I learned from an old poacher that's long since passed away.

He used to use angle iron to make cheap line locks and aircraft cable to make deer snares.

Basically you'd funnel them into the snare or find an area of brush that is frequently traveled that you can get a snare hung from the sides or above and hang it to the nest hight that you think and then run it back to a sturdy tree.

Deer will panic and choke itself out.

As for stabbing them thats a good way to get hurt if the deer is still mobile.

Cheapest and easiest spear you can make is with a piece of pipe cut at a 45* angle (give or take) and sharpened with an angle grinder then drill holes down the shaft and attack it to a wooden shaft with some self tapping screws.

Spear head can be as long or as short as your like but a foot of material would probably be a good length.

A deer with it's agility. There is no viable way to end a healthy, free, deer with a knife

It's all about knife placement.

A .22 short from my .22 pistol right behind the deer's ear would do it for me. Won't get my clothes bloody. More humane on the animal, too.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

In that case...wait for it...it's all about shot placement. You knew that was coming.

Always use enough knife!

Alan

I really do hope that whatever logistical errors I make in the rest of my life, that it never comes down to stabbing anything (except a medium well T-bone) with a knife.

Hog hunters hunting with dogs use a knife almost exclusively. Not advisable to be blazing away into the middle of a hog/dog fight. The best knives for that purpose is something long and slender. The M7 bayonet is almost perfect. straight in behind the front leg will quiet even the largest hogs. I'd like to point out that the hog is wearing a somewhat cumbersome pair of pit bull ear rings while you do this. It's also a young man's game because you have to run a couple of miles immediately before sticking the pig. It's not exactly survival type hunting.

Sometimes I wonder how man survived and thrived making a living with pointy sticks.

Alan

They didn't. That's why old age was considered 19.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

....and tree climbing was considered an essential skill.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

When they dig up those old skeletons they find a lot of trauma. Most of them have so much damage the only people alive that match them today are rodeo bull riders.

They were hunting big stuff, bison, wild cattle, horses, and the standard technique seemed to be to run up and stick then with a sharp pointy object, then hang on so they could not get away. also there was some big stuff hunting them, cave bear, saber tooth, Dire Wolves and waist tall hyenas.

And Rick is correct, almost no one made it to 40, everyone showed signs of trauma, even the women. You gotta remember, we were an endangered species, the entire world population would have left room in a NFL football stadium during most of the stone age.

Thank God for bows and arrows!

Of course there was always the fast food option. Happen upon a predator that had already procured a meal and calling its bluff. Any kind of protein, even rotting protein was a welcome addition to the pot. I imagine consuming rotting meat was pretty much the standard since refrigerators were in precious short supply. That probably didn't do much for aiding longevity either.

Alan

I always get a kick out of these folks who think there is going to be any kind of this survival prep stuff going on in a world catastrophe situation. One thing is for sure though, the world human population will plummet.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    refrigerators were in precious short supply

Nothing more sad than a caveman waving the plug of a fridge in the air waiting for a lightening storm.

............or a lineman.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I always get a kick out of these folks who think there is going to be any kind of this survival prep stuff going on in a world catastrophe situation. One thing is for sure though, the world human population will plummet.

Alan
    Back a few, when there were dozens of doomsday survival forums on the web, I always got a laugh out of the people that were stealing packets of salt from fast food joints to supply their BOB.

When I told them that was not going to be nearly enough they would reply that they would break down and spend $0.50 for a whole pound!

Most nearly fainted when I told them it would take ten to fifteen pounds of salt to preserve a pig and the family would need a pig per person to make it through a winter. At least that was the old rule of thumb grand-dad used and he had gone through many a winter.

Most just planned on your "fast food option" anyway. Find someone else with food, someone that knew what they were doing, and take it from them.