Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Techniques for trapping/snaring deer for knife kill?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjasurvivor View Post
    Never done it, but this is what I would do if I had to. I would take a big log, about as heavy as I could lift. I'd tie 750 paracord ( They make 750 cord?) to one end so it will not come off no matter what. I'd prop the log up against a tree near a dear trail.( So that's what DW was up to!..... Then I'd throw the rope up over a thick limb above. I'd tie a cow bell or jingle bell to it and then make a snare loop on the end. I'd place the loop about 4 feet above the trail with a wide opening in case there is an antlered deer that gets caught in it.

What'll happen is the deer will come through and get its neck or head caught. It will pull with all its might and the log will be yanked off the side of the tree and go from upright to horizontal on the ground. This will lift the deer up several more feet, utterly strangling it. Meanwhile that cowbell is ringing like crazy from all the vibrations in the line. You'll hear it from a mile away and come running and stab that thing in it's vitals when it is strung up by the neck and most vulnerable.
    I guess anything is possible.........personally I would not depend on this method.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess anything is possible.........personally I would not depend on this method.....
    They actually make 850 cord too. But I prefer 750 because it has more inner strands (11 to be precise, as opposed to 7 or 8).

My first snare attempt was with bankline. I caught a rabbit with it the very next day. I've also gone weeks without getting anything, and that's with a dozen rope AND wire snares. It's ultimately a matter of luck. Traps can not be relied on at all, because they are not guaranteed. Nor is hunting. It's all about increasing your odds by optimizing the variables in your favor.

A proper trap will catch the animal if the animal happens to come through it and engage it properly. The key is to make your set as solid as possible and place it in an ideal location. Then you only have to rely on the luck of the gods, because you've done everything you can on your end of the deal.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

Thank you for your input......

Hmm, Survival emergency . Pull the air bag from your steering wheel place it up right in a feeding area. Fix a trip wire to a carrot and place that on top of the air bag. energize with a 12V battery and wait for a "bang!"
    Now I'm no hunter but the whole reason I was searching for deer trap is because it looks like my neighbor is setting up for something. (not the air bag trick) He's feeding the deer every evening but has the feed set between a triangle of three newly planted fence posts. Could make for some good video footage.

BrcueD_500.
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome to WSF.
    There is an intro section at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

If your have something like that going on by a neighbor.....I would slowing back away and mind your own business.......

Personally, I carry a carrot in my vehicle for that very reason.

I knew a guy who hunted and harvested deer with a spear. He sat up in a small ladder type stand and would wait for one to come close.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

This is an old thread but I have something to add to it. I know of a foot trap. Take wild grape vine and make a crown out of it like you are wrapping spare wire to hold itself. It will look like a wreath. It should be about the size of a small dinner plate. Then sharpen long thin sticks that are the diameter of the wreath. Push them through the wretch pointed in to the center. Repeat this all the way around the wreath. Then pull the sticks back to leave a round space just smaller than a deer hoof. Dig a shallow depression about 4 or five inches deep and place the wreath over it. Then using heavy cordage make a noose and lay it over the sticks pointing in. The loop should be just smaller than the wreath. Anchor it nearby to something strong. Cover the whole thing in leaves. Of course this is placed on a deer path. Multiply for more chances it will be stepped on. When the deer deos the hoof pushes past the spikes into the hole. Immediately the deer will shake it off or jump aside. The noose will tighten because the wreath is snagging the leg. It will tighten above the ankle so it won't pull off. As long as nothing breaks great! As for a knife kill.....injuries in a survival situation are lethal. So make your noose on as short a run as possible to both conserve priceless cordage and give the animal the least amount of moving room as possible. This will help protect you when you do move in for the kill.....with a spear or survival bow ........or a knife.

DUDEWITHAKNIFE - " ... As for a knife kill.....injuries in a survival situation are lethal. So make your noose on as short a run as possible to both conserve priceless cordage and give the animal the least amount of moving room as possible. This will help protect you when you do move in for the kill.....with a spear or survival bow ........or a knife. "
    I think I'd use my .22 LR pistol. Staying out of the deer's "kill zone" seems wise to me.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

What? Let me get this straight. You have no desire to grab your knife and jump on a 150lb pound animal with horns that is maxed out on Adrenalin and sees you as the greatest threat since the plague? Well, I'll swan.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Makes me remember the archeological studies I did in grad school.

It seems that most of the bones they find of Neanderthal man show broken bones and severe trauma. It appears that they were sticking spears into big critters and then hanging on to maximize the damage of the spear. Seems that was an irritant to the critters and they did a lot of thrashing around.

The only people we find today with the same type injuries are rodeo bull riders.

Did I ever tell the story about the guy that shot a deer and only stunned it. Fantastic beast with a massive antler spread. The guy straddled the deer and placed his rifle in the rack for a photo. When the camera flashed the stunned deer woke up. The result was quite a spectacular "deer ride".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What? Let me get this straight. You have no desire to grab your knife and jump on a 150lb pound animal with horns that is maxed out on Adrenalin and sees you as the greatest threat since the plague? Well, I'll swan.
    You ain't wrong, Rick. When it comes to "knife fighting," include me out."

Brings to mind when I was in the Army many years ago, we had been going through three days of bayonet training. That was no fun, especially wielding those bayonets attached to the late, great, but very heavy M1 Garand rifle. After the third and final day, we were in the barracks cleaning weapons, polishing brass, etc., etc. My platoon sergeant came in and was talking with some of us. He was career Army and had the CIB (Combat Infantryman Badge) from WW II (Europe) and Korea. What you might call a pretty tough soldier.

I asked him, "Sgt. Moore, do you really think all this bayonet training is necessary?"

He said, "The U.S. Army says you're gonna have bayonet training so you're gonna have bayonet training." Then the very slightest smile came on his face and he added, "As for me, when those motherxxxxxxs got close enough for me to stick 'em, I shot 'em."

Seemed like wise advice to me. I feel the same about trying to "stick a deer."

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 02-28-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I kinda heard it pretty much the same....except it was:
    Sarge, "If you get your bayonet stuck in the rib cage, fire a couple of round to dislodge it"
    Recruit, "Sarge, if I have a couple of round left, he ain't getting that close".

I was the same way with all the running. Running here, there and everywhere, what's your mile speed, what's your two mile speed, is that in combat boots or sneekers, after PT or before....?

Why are we running, are we out of ammo?

Then they would brag about being a 99% mechanized Army!!

Why was I always distained to be in the 1% that was hoofing it?

I remember the first time I hitched a bayonet to the end of an M16. What a joke! We were specifically instructed to NOT perform and upper butt stroke with the M16 for fear of damage to the weapon. Shattering the stock was not the worry, it was bending the buffer tube and ruining the threaded portion of the lower.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    " ... I remember the first time I hitched a bayonet to the end of an M16. What a joke! We were specifically instructed to NOT perform and upper butt stroke with the M16 for fear of damage to the weapon. Shattering the stock was not the worry, it was bending the buffer tube and ruining the threaded portion of the lower.
    Didn't have to worry about that much in bayonet training with the M1 Garand. It was built like an osage orange fence post.

S.M.

The M1 I was issued had a walnut stock with many years of linseed oil rubbed into it.

It was a Winchester and I am ashamed to admit that after 45 years I no longer remember the serial number.

The best feature of the M1 was the hand-guard going nearly to the muzzle. Less chance to burn your hands on a hot barrel. I have hurt myself on the M14 and M16 barrels several times.

The lack of a flashider was a handicap for those actually fighting with the Garand. As a civilian, until Scout scopes became available, scoping a garand inhaled sharply. if you do a mag dump on a match grade M1A, you just converted it to a "rack grade" M1A, losing many hundreds of dollars, cause the heat will have melted the fiberglass bedding. For shtf, not having luminous sight inserts, chromed barrel and chamber, not firing the GI rd, not having a .22lr conversion unit, not being concealable (taken down) in your pack, not having a sound suppressor, all add up to "inferior, dangerously so".

You really are all gunched up about some sort of impending apocalypse aren't you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nope, cause I'm ready for it

What is "it" that you are ready for? What is the apocalypse you have planned for?