Thread: Hello from up north

Default Hello from up north

Hi everyone.

My family are the new live-in caretakers of a 'ranch & retreat' spot in the rolling forested hills somewhere north of Ottawa, Canada.

In return for looking after the horses, guests, and onsite labor, we get to live part of our homesteading dream with goats, chickens, a large veggie garden and 50 acres of woods surrounding the private lake to play in.

Right now everything is buried under the white stuff, but I'm looking forward to exploring with my kids once the great thaw commences.

Looking forward to joining the conversation here.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wow, that sounds like my ideal life!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbrit View Post
    Wow, that sounds like my ideal life!
    Yup, we were pretty lucky to find this gig, hopefully it's a long term win-win for us and the owners and we can really get settled here.

Hunter63,saying Hey and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hello, eh.

Sounds like a great life. Welcome to the forum.

North of Ottawa eh? I assume Quebec? I'm in New Bruswick but I know the Ottawa Valley like the back of my hand, I have hiked every part of it from the White lake foothills up and around the Calabogie hills, from Perth to tweed to Eganville (You gotta go there for Patty's day!) Petawawa, Mattawa, North Bay, Pretty much seen the entire shore along the Ottawa river and the Madawaska river... let me know if your looking for a good spot to take your kids hiking or fishing, I know a good spot not far from where you are where you can catch monster Muskie, huge Pike and a spot for Walleye where they get pulled out each year at 10+ lbs.

Welcome!
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Psalms25: Quebec it is. About 15 minutes west of Wakefield and just south of Mahon lake. We don't know the area too well, and for the next year or so I want to concentrate my explorations on this land here, getting to know every square inch of it in all conditions. But if I ever have the urge to wander further afield, I'll take you up on the offer. Cheers.

Lots of land to explore there Rancher. Between the Gatineau park and the Gatineau river and all the wilderness you should have no problem finding some good fishing and hunting spots. Your in a prime location there.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Welcome Rancher!

Yes, this part of the counrty sure is beautiful! My camp (which is where I would rather be right now) is west of Shenboro, QC in the St Patrice ZEC, on the Ottawa River.
    Even the Dalai Lama had to bug out…

We looked at buying a place not too far from there on the Black river, but alas it fell through.

Can't imagine living in any other region now though. Unless it had mountains. I really do miss the mountains.

Hi, I live in the Ottawa area too. Don't you just love the snow! Welcome to the site. Your Place sounds fantastic!
    BE PREPARED

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum..............

Welcome to WSF.

Have you ever seen "The Shining"?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

All that sounds nice, now if Canada Just didn't have all those stupid gun restrictions!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin