Thread: Hello, am I in the right place?

Default Hello, am I in the right place?

I am looking for some advice, just having a quick scan through this site and there seems to be a wealth of great topics here. I hope to read ll of them soon as I can.

I call myself "Exbrit" perhaps a little prematurely. I still live in the United Kingdom and am fed up to the back teeth with people not listening when I tell them Armageddon is going to be on before we are prepared. Things are so bad here that I am looking at moving away. I have a couple of minor convictions, unfairly given simply for defending myself against attackers, I spent three months in jail in 1991 for fighting. Will this preclude me from applying to the US for a residents permit? If I am lucky enough to be allowed to live in your country, will I be able to buy a gun?

You can apply - got no idea if it will be approved. If you are convicted of a felony in this country you cannot own a gun. Not sure if you fall into that category or if criminal history is checked from other countries.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is the thing, I don't view myself as a criminal. I was attacked and defended myself. the law was fought and the law won! Unfairly! I suppose I am a criminal because I was convicted. I don't think the reason for my conviction is needed to be put out here, if you don't mind. I just want space to live my life, my way. I don't attack others but sure as hell will defend myself if attacked! I am thinking about when I apply to keep quiet about it, see if anything comes up. It is so many years back, I was just a kid. Problem with that approach is I am a basically honest person and lying to the government is hard to do, even though they lie to us all the time.

If anyone has any ideas of what to do for the best I would be pleased to hear them.

Why not contact the consulate office and ask them. IMO be honest with them, to not do so could cause you problems down the road.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just love the idea of getting out of here. America looks like the best bet, I like the people and owning a gun, legally, would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbrit View Post
    I just love the idea of getting out of here. America looks like the best bet, I like the people and owning a gun, legally, would be great.
    What do you plan on doing here other than owning a gun?

Welcome Exbrit! I agree with Crash. Be honest and explain the whole situation. People from all over the world come to the US because of issues from their country of origin. I know you are not the first. A gent from my gun club came here from Australia after their gun laws went bizerk. He had a few criminal charges, but explained the situation and told them he wanted to be here because the Constitution assurred him that the Gubmit can't take his God given rights. He got in after a little extra red-tape. Good luck!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Does it matter? People come here for many different reasons. Money, jobs, food, escaping war, escaping persecution. If he wants to move here just to legally own a gun, that is good enough for me. That is his pursuit of LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS!

In fact, that is the only reason the Australian fellow I know came here for too! He's a pretty nice guy.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I have worked in the emergency services, following my military service. I would hope to work in the security industry.

Owning a gun is not the only reason for wanting to move, this country is going to the dogs. Taken over by illegal immigrants and all rights being eroded. We will not exist as anything but a third world nation in my lifetime, there is no way I want to be part of the demise of this once great nation. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Welcome Exbrit! I agree with Crash. Be honest and explain the whole situation. People from all over the world come to the US because of issues from their country of origin. I know you are not the first. A gent from my gun club came here from Australia after their gun laws went bizerk. He had a few criminal charges, but explained the situation and told them he wanted to be here because the Constitution assurred him that the Gubmit can't take his God given rights. He got in after a little extra red-tape. Good luck!
    Thank you. I am pleased to hear about your friend, proves it can be done.

Some of the things that trouble you where you currently reside are hot topics of debate in this country. You don't see much debate on it here because of our no political or religious discussion rule.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If only there was no religion or politics. Utopia.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You might want to consider Canada. You might find entry there a simpler process. Their economy is also in little better shape than ours at the moment.

As for your record precluding firearms ownership, the chances are that it will, either here or in Canada or anywhere else.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

So everyone who has never been caught doing something wrong can own a weapon, someone who has served his country and was PAID to wield a weapon can not? I think that is terrible!

Sorry just moaning out loud, not aiming it at you, just the situation.

So everyone who has never been caught doing something wrong can own a weapon, someone who has served his country and was PAID to wield a weapon can not? I think that is terrible!

Sorry just moaning out loud, not aiming it at you, just the situation.
    That's not why and you know it.
    The law is very simple.

You may try this site: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/ But, as Krat says it may be easier in Canada. I believe that you would have the best luck with Australia since they look for immigrants with skills more than most countries. Where ever you would go, I suspect you will need a notarized police report. Even third world countries will require proof of support so you would contribute to their economy.

If you can drink a 24 of beer and still stand, go fist-to-cuff with a moose and survive, run musher dogs and withstand freezing temperatures the Canadian Government will give you citizenship and a free 12 pack of Moosehead.

All joking aside, I hope you find what your looking for. Nothing worse than being stuck somewhere you don't want to be.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Owning a gun is not the only reason for wanting to move, this country is going to the dogs. Taken over by illegal immigrants and all rights being eroded. We will not exist as anything but a third world nation in my lifetime, there is no way I want to be part of the demise of this once great nation. Time to move on.
    Leaving the country will only make the problem worse. We have the same problems here. You can own a gun in Switzerland. I think Canada is your best bet.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Why not contact the consulate office and ask them. IMO be honest with them, to not do so could cause you problems down the road.
    Crashdive is 100% correct. Do not lie on any application for U.S. entry, etc.

What about applying to enter Canada???

S.M.