Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Hello, am I in the right place?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27

    Default Hello, am I in the right place?

    I am looking for some advice, just having a quick scan through this site and there seems to be a wealth of great topics here. I hope to read ll of them soon as I can.

    I call myself "Exbrit" perhaps a little prematurely. I still live in the United Kingdom and am fed up to the back teeth with people not listening when I tell them Armageddon is going to be on before we are prepared. Things are so bad here that I am looking at moving away. I have a couple of minor convictions, unfairly given simply for defending myself against attackers, I spent three months in jail in 1991 for fighting. Will this preclude me from applying to the US for a residents permit? If I am lucky enough to be allowed to live in your country, will I be able to buy a gun?


  2. #2
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    43,869
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    You can apply - got no idea if it will be approved. If you are convicted of a felony in this country you cannot own a gun. Not sure if you fall into that category or if criminal history is checked from other countries.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    That is the thing, I don't view myself as a criminal. I was attacked and defended myself. the law was fought and the law won! Unfairly! I suppose I am a criminal because I was convicted. I don't think the reason for my conviction is needed to be put out here, if you don't mind. I just want space to live my life, my way. I don't attack others but sure as hell will defend myself if attacked! I am thinking about when I apply to keep quiet about it, see if anything comes up. It is so many years back, I was just a kid. Problem with that approach is I am a basically honest person and lying to the government is hard to do, even though they lie to us all the time.

    If anyone has any ideas of what to do for the best I would be pleased to hear them.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    43,869
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Why not contact the consulate office and ask them. IMO be honest with them, to not do so could cause you problems down the road.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I just love the idea of getting out of here. America looks like the best bet, I like the people and owning a gun, legally, would be great.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BENESSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    9,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exbrit View Post
    I just love the idea of getting out of here. America looks like the best bet, I like the people and owning a gun, legally, would be great.
    What do you plan on doing here other than owning a gun?

  7. #7
    Senior Member natertot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    3,963

    Default

    Welcome Exbrit! I agree with Crash. Be honest and explain the whole situation. People from all over the world come to the US because of issues from their country of origin. I know you are not the first. A gent from my gun club came here from Australia after their gun laws went bizerk. He had a few criminal charges, but explained the situation and told them he wanted to be here because the Constitution assurred him that the Gubmit can't take his God given rights. He got in after a little extra red-tape. Good luck!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

  8. #8
    Senior Member natertot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    3,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    What do you plan on doing here other than owning a gun?
    Does it matter? People come here for many different reasons. Money, jobs, food, escaping war, escaping persecution. If he wants to move here just to legally own a gun, that is good enough for me. That is his pursuit of LIFE, LIBERTY and the PURSUIT of HAPPINESS!

    In fact, that is the only reason the Australian fellow I know came here for too! He's a pretty nice guy.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    What do you plan on doing here other than owning a gun?
    I have worked in the emergency services, following my military service. I would hope to work in the security industry.

    Owning a gun is not the only reason for wanting to move, this country is going to the dogs. Taken over by illegal immigrants and all rights being eroded. We will not exist as anything but a third world nation in my lifetime, there is no way I want to be part of the demise of this once great nation. Time to move on.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Welcome Exbrit! I agree with Crash. Be honest and explain the whole situation. People from all over the world come to the US because of issues from their country of origin. I know you are not the first. A gent from my gun club came here from Australia after their gun laws went bizerk. He had a few criminal charges, but explained the situation and told them he wanted to be here because the Constitution assurred him that the Gubmit can't take his God given rights. He got in after a little extra red-tape. Good luck!
    Thank you. I am pleased to hear about your friend, proves it can be done.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    43,869
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Some of the things that trouble you where you currently reside are hot topics of debate in this country. You don't see much debate on it here because of our no political or religious discussion rule.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    If only there was no religion or politics. Utopia.

  13. #13
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    10,004

    Default

    You might want to consider Canada. You might find entry there a simpler process. Their economy is also in little better shape than ours at the moment.

    As for your record precluding firearms ownership, the chances are that it will, either here or in Canada or anywhere else.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    27

    Default

    So everyone who has never been caught doing something wrong can own a weapon, someone who has served his country and was PAID to wield a weapon can not? I think that is terrible!

    Sorry just moaning out loud, not aiming it at you, just the situation.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BENESSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    9,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exbrit View Post
    So everyone who has never been caught doing something wrong can own a weapon, someone who has served his country and was PAID to wield a weapon can not? I think that is terrible!

    Sorry just moaning out loud, not aiming it at you, just the situation.
    That's not why and you know it.
    The law is very simple.

  16. #16
    Ed edr730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    somewhere in n michigan
    Posts
    606

    Default

    You may try this site: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/ But, as Krat says it may be easier in Canada. I believe that you would have the best luck with Australia since they look for immigrants with skills more than most countries. Where ever you would go, I suspect you will need a notarized police report. Even third world countries will require proof of support so you would contribute to their economy.

  17. #17
    cold leftovers Psalm25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    196

    Default

    If you can drink a 24 of beer and still stand, go fist-to-cuff with a moose and survive, run musher dogs and withstand freezing temperatures the Canadian Government will give you citizenship and a free 12 pack of Moosehead.

    All joking aside, I hope you find what your looking for. Nothing worse than being stuck somewhere you don't want to be.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

    "If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

  18. #18
    Not a Mod finallyME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exbrit View Post
    Owning a gun is not the only reason for wanting to move, this country is going to the dogs. Taken over by illegal immigrants and all rights being eroded. We will not exist as anything but a third world nation in my lifetime, there is no way I want to be part of the demise of this once great nation. Time to move on.
    Leaving the country will only make the problem worse. We have the same problems here. You can own a gun in Switzerland. I think Canada is your best bet.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    S.W. Idaho, USA
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Why not contact the consulate office and ask them. IMO be honest with them, to not do so could cause you problems down the road.
    Crashdive is 100% correct. Do not lie on any application for U.S. entry, etc.

    What about applying to enter Canada???

    S.M.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •