Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Refuge

Banned

Default The Refuge

So as I mentioned in my introduction, I inherited a good piece of land in Utah from my uncle Homer ****************** on his passing several months ago. Since this nations going straight to hell and going there fast, I was of a mind to build a refuge where a man could make a stand and get through the hard times comin' on that land and was hoping to get some advice on how to get going.

It's a hundred acres in the plateau country outside of Duchesne. Don't have any power or running water. Mostly sagebrush cover except where uncle Homer cleared it off and pulled a singlewide on to it. Nearest paved road is about 3 miles off it. He had it surveyed and found some good spots to sink a well, but didn't have the money, so there's water.

All that's on the land now is the mobile home, 2 acres of fence and a couple rough built sheds with 10 goats, 32 chickens, 2 pigs, and a shetland pony his wife rode to town to get such as they needed and couldn't make. Mrs Stootchie (which is what uncle Homer called his second wife for some reason he never told us) is still up there waitin' for me to come claim the land and what's on it, and her as my wife by succession as was Uncle Homer's wishes. She ain't the brightest or best looking gal, and she's got some age on her, but if she can take care of a homestead in the desert by herself (Homer's other wife ran off when he passed, whore that she was) then there must be something to the old girl and I think she'll be okay once we get married and I get her settled in the family.

Anyhow, it was of my mind to set aside half of the land for some crops, and split the other half between animals and building a compound that can hold maybe a dozen good righteous folk looking to ride out what's comin' in a place where God still holds sway on how things are done and the right to bear arms and practice religion how we see fit is still the American way.

Any suggestions on things like crops, power, walls, and whatnot anybody can provide will be much appreciated. God bless.

Amen
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-09-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Removed religious reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon X View Post
    So as I mentioned in my introduction, I inherited a good piece of land in Utah from my uncle Homer ********************* on his passing several months ago. Since this nations going straight to hell and going there fast, I was of a mind to build a refuge where a man could make a stand and get through the hard times comin' on that land and was hoping to get some advice on how to get going.

It's a hundred acres in the plateau country outside of Duchesne. Don't have any power or running water. Mostly sagebrush cover except where uncle Homer cleared it off and pulled a singlewide on to it. Nearest paved road is about 3 miles off it. He had it surveyed and found some good spots to sink a well, but didn't have the money, so there's water.

All that's on the land now is the mobile home, 2 acres of fence and a couple rough built sheds with 10 goats, 32 chickens, 2 pigs, and a shetland pony his wife rode to town to get such as they needed and couldn't make. Mrs Stootchie (which is what uncle Homer called his second wife for some reason he never told us) is still up there waitin' for me to come claim the land and what's on it, and her as my wife by succession as was Uncle Homer's wishes. She ain't the brightest or best looking gal, and she's got some age on her, but if she can take care of a homestead in the desert by herself (Homer's other wife ran off when he passed, whore that she was) then there must be something to the old girl and I think she'll be okay once we get married and I get her settled in the family.

Anyhow, it was of my mind to set aside half of the land for some crops, and split the other half between animals and building a compound that can hold maybe a dozen good righteous folk looking to ride out what's comin' in a place where God still holds sway on how things are done and the right to bear arms and practice religion how we see fit is still the American way.

Any suggestions on things like crops, power, walls, and whatnot anybody can provide will be much appreciated. God bless.

Amen
    You can buy small windmills but I would also have a generator and a kerosene heater. For drinking water; get some water filters so you can use snow and of course store some water. If you have canned goods and you keep them in a cooler envirnment, they will go far beyond the expriation date.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-09-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Removed religious reference.

Good grief........
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

With out getting into personnel situations, sounds like you are gathering a "group"?

Most around here are more of the "follow their own counsel".....I have absolutely no desire to "join up" with like minded people.....particularly other people mind.
    Now that's said.....

Seems this homestead has been up and running for quite some time, or is there something about this place that hasn't been discussed.

What has been the source of water up till now?

No power of any kind up till now.....is it availabe close by?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    With out getting into personnel situations, sounds like you are gathering a "group"?

Most around here are more of the "follow their own counsel".....I have absolutely no desire to "join up" with like minded people.....particularly other people mind.
    Now that's said.....

Seems this homestead has been up and running for quite some time, or is there something about this place that hasn't been discussed.

What has been the source of water up till now?

No power of any kind up till now.....is it availabe close by?
    Does Ruth Hawke live there?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Good luck with that.

We're getting them all these days!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Wow, there's a million things you can do.

Do you want a visible fortress or a concealed compound?

I do construction and know "concealed".
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Nuts, but creative, I'll give him that.
    Heck, this could even be Rick...except it's not April yet.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Is that a Dik-dik?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Lol uhm, I don't know but that's kind of fun to say.

it is, I looked it up. One of the worlds smallest deer.

I guess that's a nice buck right there.

Maybe that's what "the wife that ran away" rode off on into the sunset.

What kind of deer is this Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Maybe that's what "the wife that ran away" rode off on into the sunset.
    With a fist full of dollars and a pocket full of dreams?

I doubt she was allowed a fist full of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I doubt she was allowed a fist full of dollars.
    She has to have at least been give tree fiddy.

I would not want to be there when the next comet comes close to earth

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Generally good plan for the Utah high plains farm with no water is to put half your land to agriculture raising rocks and sagebrush.

1/4 of the land to pasture, which at 40 acres per cow will allow you to raise one cow or barely keep alive the goats, pigs and chickens you now have.

For the compound you will need several of the surplus FEMA trailers and a massive amount of barbed wire just to keep the residents from bugging out like the only person mentioned so far with any good sense, the "whore" that left when her husband died, freeing her from legal/moral obligation (I still can't figure why that makes her a "whore").

I got you topped WT, I don't want to be on this place even when there are no comets streaking past!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Generally good plan for the Utah high plains farm with no water is to put half your land to agriculture raising rocks and sagebrush.

1/4 of the land to pasture, which at 40 acres per cow will allow you to raise one cow or barely keep alive the goats, pigs and chickens you now have.

For the compound you will need several of the surplus FEMA trailers and a massive amount of barbed wire just to keep the residents from bugging out like the only person mentioned so far with any good sense, the "whore" that left when her husband died, freeing her from legal/moral obligation (I still can't figure why that makes her a "whore").

I got you topped WT, I don't want to be on this place even when there are no comets streaking past!
    Manson could be up for parole and available in a year or two to run the compound!............Booooyah, take that Kyrat