Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why they call me Blade

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    Not saying your story does not make you worthy of the name blade, it does fit the picture. I would be more inclined to drop my jaw in awe reading how you use or used your knife in a survival situation. I did enjoy the part about using it on the elk, trout and building a shelter with it. I always wanted to hunt elk but there are non in these parts. Plenty of trout. Do you catch your trout on a fly or spin cast?
    I'm goingto chose to take the high road and ignore the petty snipes and remarks and continue in a more mature way.

I always use a fly rod,and tie my own flies. I favor floating a nymph and my most favorite one is a "White Glove Howdy". Nymph's usually yeild some nice brown trouts but eventually they all will bite on it. Salt water fishing i use a jig with a root beer color tail........never fails for all species.

I will eventually get to some of my survival trip stories and the various times I've used my Mistress in survival mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I'm goingto chose to take the high road and ignore the petty snipes and remarks and continue in a more mature way.

I always use a fly rod,and tie my own flies. I favor floating a nymph and my most favorite one is a "White Glove Howdy". Nymph's usually yeild some nice brown trouts but eventually they all will bite on it. Salt water fishing i use a jig with a root beer color tail........never fails for all species.

I will eventually get to some of my survival trip stories and the various times I've used my Mistress in survival mode.
    We don't live near any good trouting location (Ocean fishing for us) but I watched a bloke tieing a fly by hand one day, I've got the utmost respect for anyone who has the patience to hand tie a lure knowing with each cast they may lose it. That would be the breaker for me. To lose your hard work and the fish.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BushCraft View Post
    We don't live near any good trouting location (Ocean fishing for us) but I watched a bloke tieing a fly by hand one day, I've got the utmost respect for anyone who has the patience to hand tie a lure knowing with each cast they may lose it. That would be the breaker for me. To lose your hard work and the fish.
    After a little practice one can tie a fly in a matter of a couple minutes. When you tie your flies on the go you can customize them to either the hatch or what bait is in the area as far as salt water. It also is cool as it completes the circle of fishing as a sport, of course the best being seeing your catch on your dinner plate! Losing your fly or bait is why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"!

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Don't take my banter serious or personal, Blade, just messin' with you a bit. Such is my nature. Besides, I wouldn't DARE really mess with you, I know just how big that knife is!

Getting back to what I was saying earlier, I can see why you love it! It's not being made anymore, if I'm correct. It's a great knife and when I priced them about eight or ten years ago they ran about $350!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Don't take my banter serious or personal, Blade, just messin' with you a bit. Such is my nature. Besides, I wouldn't DARE really mess with you, I know just how big that knife is!

Getting back to what I was saying earlier, I can see why you love it! It's not being made anymore, if I'm correct. It's a great knife and when I priced them about eight or ten years ago they ran about $350!
    It's all good!

What matters is you like the knife, I researched the blade and its not much different than most other stainless steels except the low carbon content and the addition of Nitrogen to make up for hardness and stain resistance.
    C 0.5, Va 0.36, Cr 8.25, Co 0.95, Ni 0.74, Mo 1.3, N 0.11
    then the usual enhancement elements. Mo Molybdenum helps with hardness, hardenability and helps with stain resistance and machineability. and, Va Vanadium to help with wear resistance and toughness, Co Cobalt helps with hardness and helps the quenching proccess in the higher temperature range.

but then there is the 1/4" stock thickness and the interesting edge profile flat angle on one side and convex on the other. Have you maintained the edge like that, how do you sharpen it? Sounds like an interesting knife I would add it to my collection. I like the small ricasso and the choil both things I like on knives and try to put on most mine.
    Last edited by randallss7; 01-09-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

It's all good!
    It's all not good. You posted this thread and you don't like the comments?

You do realize you said you walked around with a giant knife 24-7 right?

You are looking for trouble, legally and physically.

Grow up.

Now, the fly fishing thing, I never learned how.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

After a little practice one can tie a fly in a matter of a couple minutes. When you tie your flies on the go you can customize them to either the hatch or what bait is in the area as far as salt water. It also is cool as it completes the circle of fishing as a sport, of course the best being seeing your catch on your dinner plate! Losing your fly or bait is why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"!
    I love the idea of completing the entire sport from start to finish. One day when we were camping we decided to make a rod, line, hook, sinker and catch our own bait and see if we could bring anything in (This was supplementing our real tackle, gear and rods. We were adventurous not stupid) We started by finding a long slightly curved green (Gives it bounce as opposed to a dried fallen branch) branch, then we grabbed some fibrous parasitic tree strangler we slowly pulled the outer strands of the vine-ish like plant until we had enough length for a decent "line" (The longest and worst part of the exercise), we then grabbed a very small very straight hardwood stick and used it to "drill" a hole through some small soft rock (We found talc and sand stone, neither worked well but both still worked) by just twisting it on spot in the rock to grind away a small hole, we then shaped down the rock to make it small enough for the fairly shallow waters and tied it so it wouldn't move, the hook was just another very small stick. notched in the middle so the line wouldn't slide and "split" on both the end sides so the hook was sharp and wouldn't move but dig in once bitten (I think your native Americans used a similar idea). For bait we used a salt water clam we have over here called pippes just skewed through the stick.

We didn't bring in much due to the "line" snapping with the jerking motion of the fish, but I did bring in a legal sized whiting. Nothing was more rewarding than catching the fish with my own tools and hard work than cooking it over the coals of a fire I started. It was this gratifying moment that said "I have earned my life". It's a little silly I guess but it's one of my fondest memories.

But I now never go anywhere without a full wheel of multipbraid line in my bag even when going to the city. At least then I know worst comes to worst I can at least have a chance. (I would carry a full EDC but Australia is funny, even the small knife on a multitool is considered a dangerous weapon and you need to have "reasonable cause" [protection is never a reasonable cause in this country] to carry it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Grow up.

While I agree with the idea that his actions may be inadvisable legally, there is some room for leeway, depending on your local PD, as they aren't all out to disarm the populace. As far as looking for trouble physically is concerned, is it looking for trouble to have a CCW? Just something to consider. I personally would like to be able to keep my Randall Made sheath knife in my backpack, but can't in my jurisdiction, and because I'm on a school campus most of the time. If I ever lived somewhere where that was a non-issue, I'd certainly have it, because I know I'll be responsible with it, and feel it's my right to have. Governments should only restrict that which endagers other citizens, and ought to have more faith in our ability to think clearly.

That is all :P

Nice knife.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mur-c5IiWJI
    Just saying.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good point hunter63, but I've never seen a gun that doubled as a tool for slicing, dicing, construction, and light tree-chopping. (actually, on that last point, I have, but most of us don't own one of these: http://www.usna-ntx.org/poop_deck/20...af_a10_car.jpg )

[QUOTE=Blade;377810]I'm goingto chose to take the high road and ignore the petty snipes and remarks and continue in a more mature way.

Salt water fishing i use a jig with a root beer color tail........never fails for all species.

I'm going to give this a try, I don't have much luck fish'n salt water other than Mackerel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Grow up.

How about you minding your own business? I'll carry my knife where and whenever I want. You feel man enough to take it from me? Bring it! About growing up, I think you need to do a bit yourself and let the grownups talk without interuppting.

Banned

[QUOTE=Psalm25;378043]

Salt water fishing i use a jig with a root beer color tail........never fails for all species.

I'm going to give this a try, I don't have much luck fish'n salt water other than Mackerel.
    Red Cotee jig head w/ yellow eyes, 1/4 oz and Cotee root beer tail. Lift the rod tip. lower it and reel in the slack......repeat. The jig falls with a slight flutter. It's magic, I've caught catfish to shark and everything in between on this. Mackerel are fun, use a light wire leader to prevent break offs. Filet and broil with just butter and lemon,....good eatin'.

Here's an example, boys and girls, of how people get in "situations".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BushCraft View Post
    I love the idea of completing the entire sport from start to finish. One day when we were camping we decided to make a rod, line, hook, sinker and catch our own bait and see if we could bring anything in (This was supplementing our real tackle, gear and rods. We were adventurous not stupid) We started by finding a long slightly curved green (Gives it bounce as opposed to a dried fallen branch) branch, then we grabbed some fibrous parasitic tree strangler we slowly pulled the outer strands of the vine-ish like plant until we had enough length for a decent "line" (The longest and worst part of the exercise), we then grabbed a very small very straight hardwood stick and used it to "drill" a hole through some small soft rock (We found talc and sand stone, neither worked well but both still worked) by just twisting it on spot in the rock to grind away a small hole, we then shaped down the rock to make it small enough for the fairly shallow waters and tied it so it wouldn't move, the hook was just another very small stick. notched in the middle so the line wouldn't slide and "split" on both the end sides so the hook was sharp and wouldn't move but dig in once bitten (I think your native Americans used a similar idea). For bait we used a salt water clam we have over here called pippes just skewed through the stick.

We didn't bring in much due to the "line" snapping with the jerking motion of the fish, but I did bring in a legal sized whiting. Nothing was more rewarding than catching the fish with my own tools and hard work than cooking it over the coals of a fire I started. It was this gratifying moment that said "I have earned my life". It's a little silly I guess but it's one of my fondest memories.

But I now never go anywhere without a full wheel of multipbraid line in my bag even when going to the city. At least then I know worst comes to worst I can at least have a chance. (I would carry a full EDC but Australia is funny, even the small knife on a multitool is considered a dangerous weapon and you need to have "reasonable cause" [protection is never a reasonable cause in this country] to carry it.)
    I would have paid to be there with you. How cool that must have been!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Here's an example, boys and girls, of how people get in "situations".
    I think we can drop the drama and get back on topic now........whatchu think?

How about you minding your own business? I'll carry my knife where and whenever I want. You feel man enough to take it from me? Bring it! About growing up, I think you need to do a bit yourself and let the grownups talk without interuppting.
    Seriously? Hahahahaha.

Isn't the topic "Why they call me Blade", lol.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Let it go fellas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

[QUOTE=Blade;378046]
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post

Red Cotee jig head w/ yellow eyes, 1/4 oz and Cotee root beer tail. Lift the rod tip. lower it and reel in the slack......repeat. The jig falls with a slight flutter. It's magic, I've caught catfish to shark and everything in between on this. Mackerel are fun, use a light wire leader to prevent break offs. Filet and broil with just butter and lemon,....good eatin'.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a bunt next time I hit the salt water.
    The broiled Mackerel fillets sound good, I usually gut them then marinade them with a little spice, brown sugar, salt and lemon then put them in the smoker. I use a mix of apple wood, maple and some hickory to smoke them with.