Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why they call me Blade

Banned

[QUOTE=Psalm25;378072]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a bunt next time I hit the salt water.
    The broiled Mackerel fillets sound good, I usually gut them then marinade them with a little spice, brown sugar, salt and lemon then put them in the smoker. I use a mix of apple wood, maple and some hickory to smoke them with.
    Sounds good as well........for a change up. I usually like my fish prepared simply so that I can actually taste the fish though. I bet if your method was used and done long enough the fish would be good to have as preserved source of food. Salt would probably have to be bumped up in the recipe to help dry out the fish. Fish jerky....not a bad emergency/survival food.

[QUOTE=Psalm25;378072]

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a bunt next time I hit the salt water.
    The broiled Mackerel fillets sound good, I usually gut them then marinade them with a little spice, brown sugar, salt and lemon then put them in the smoker. I use a mix of apple wood, maple and some hickory to smoke them with.
    We get slimy mackerel where I live, been told there not the best eatin'. But with that recipe the south end of a north bound cow sounds like decent feed.

[QUOTE=Blade;378194]
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post

Sounds good as well........for a change up. I usually like my fish prepared simply so that I can actually taste the fish though. I bet if your method was used and done long enough the fish would be good to have as preserved source of food. Salt would probably have to be bumped up in the recipe to help dry out the fish. Fish jerky....not a bad emergency/survival food.
    Yes, it does take away from the taste of the fish. I'm not a big fish eater unless it's Salmon... I will eat that stuff cooked anyway or even raw. Sometimes I get a hunger for fried or baked fish but for the most part only time I fry or bake it is when I'm out in no mans land... I figure I am so hungry when I'm in the wilderness there is not too much that doesn't taste good lol. Before I go on one of my walk-a-bouts I will make a salt water brine and soak the fish overnight, then smoke them on a low heat until they are totally dry. That way I can put them in my back pack and have something to chew on between whatever meals I find in my travels.

[QUOTE=BushCraft;378197]

We get slimy mackerel where I live, been told there not the best eatin'. But with that recipe the south end of a north bound cow sounds like decent feed.
    Your right, there is not much that recipe does not make palatable.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

I just want to know who "they" are.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Good point, why go covert when you carry a Busse Battle Mistress?
    And are a Badass!! also.!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

[QUOTE=Psalm25;378211][QUOTE=Blade;378194]

Yes, it does take away from the taste of the fish. I'm not a big fish eater unless it's Salmon... I will eat that stuff cooked anyway or even raw. Sometimes I get a hunger for fried or baked fish but for the most part only time I fry or bake it is when I'm out in no mans land... I figure I am so hungry when I'm in the wilderness there is not too much that doesn't taste good lol. Before I go on one of my walk-a-bouts I will make a salt water brine and soak the fish overnight, then smoke them on a low heat until they are totally dry. That way I can put them in my back pack and have something to chew on between whatever meals I find in my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by BushCraft View Post

Your right, there is not much that recipe does not make palatable.
    How about salmon jerky? This was my first attempt. Next time I'll cut it into strips.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

How about salmon jerky? This was my first attempt. Next time I'll cut it into strips.

Man that looks good!!
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Banned

[QUOTE=1stimestar;378328][QUOTE=Psalm25;378211]

Verrry nice! Cutting into strips will cut down on the cooking/drying time as well.

[QUOTE=Blade;378344][QUOTE=1stimestar;378328]

Verrry nice! Cutting into strips will cut down on the cooking/drying time as well.
    Thins strips make for the best trail food too. You can chew on the thins strips to sate hunger between meals. I like venison strips for that reason, that meaty gamey flavour keeps you feeling full even if you are only running on 15-20grams of dried meat.

[QUOTE=1stimestar;378328][QUOTE=Psalm25;378211]

That looks like something you would spend big bucks at a fancy restaurant for and it also looks fantastic. I could see some snobby lady from a typical yuppie community who is in a ton of credit card debt ordering that and just saying with a snobby accent "Oh, this is wonderful".

Well - I'm not a snobby lady. I don't live in a typical yuppie community - at leas I don't think I do - not 100% sure what that is. I don't have a ton of credit card debt. I don't think I have a snobby accent. I'll bet I would say that it was wonderful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Old Blade likes radial tire jerky. Cut into thin strips it lasts forever, and it's real chewy

OK, I'm full now....4 pic's of the samon.......Looks good though...LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

DON'T cut it into strips!!!!!!! Fish (at least fish of the size you have posted) dries out too fast and too easily when smoked. Keep the whole filet together and leave the skin on as a barrier between the flesh and the rack.

These you have posted look wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    DON'T cut it into strips!!!!!!! Fish (at least fish of the size you have posted) dries out too fast and too easily when smoked. Keep the whole filet together and leave the skin on as a barrier between the flesh and the rack.

These you have posted look wonderful.
    Would drying them right out like beef jerky not make them last longer though? I'm just thinking if one was to take it on a hiking trip for example, the moisture in it would turn it bad after a day or so in the heat. But for eating right away or keeping it in the fridge it would be much better to leave as is in the picture.

Fish that is smoked, packaged (think vacuum sealed), and then packed in the backpack properly (right in the center where it gets the most insulation) will last just fine even in really warm temperatures for more than a week.

Even properly made beef jerky (not the dusty, arid, Sahara Desert-like Poop that gets labelled as "beef jerky" that you buy at your local Wally World) is not completely dried out. You're looking for food that will last and that is actually edible so, you need to retain some of the nice fish oils and yes, even a little bit of the moisture.

Remember that when you are going to "do it yourself," the goal is to EXCEED (not merely match) the "quality" of the store-bought junk.

These are dried. There isn't much moisture left in them. They do have the skin on which peels right off after drying. The problem with cutting into strips is that it is hard to do and time consuming lol. Here is some strips that I didn't do but I did eat, yum. I got them from a friend for a back packing trip a few years ago.

Oh yes, up here we really don't have to worry about the heat. Backpacking here even in high summer, normally includes a jacket.

/highjack complete.

That blade guy thinks hes real slick, don't he? At least two threads that were practical jokes and now a story about cutting some guy's tires to get away. After the anaconda story I doubt the other stories are even real to begin with... and even if they are... who brags about cutting someone's tires?
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.