Thread: User location or lack there of?

Default User location or lack there of?

Why do so many not list a location? It's not like you need to post your address but listing at least a state can make posts more relevant and easier to understand where opinions are coming from.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I had to post something to make this go away.

Hello Rivershot it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

People don't list locations for a variety of reasons, while others list a location that is not accurate. Then there is the whimsical location. If I need to know a location to answer a question I just ask.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We live in a very mobile society and some of them have not figred out where they are yet!

Some are so concerned about their operation security, refered too by the masses as "opsec", they will let someone wet their pants before they tell them where the bathroom is.

Many of these same people will post inventories of possessions and pictures of sorroundings to the point of absurdity. On another forum I once saw a very parinoid individual post a picture of his "bug out vehicle" parked in his driveway. His street sign was in the background, as well as his mailox w/address showing and in the distance was a water tower with the name of his town painted in bold letters. The other members harassed him over this so badly he left the forum never to return, at least not by the same name he had used before.

As you have already realized, there are many climate/gear/tarrain/wildlife questions that simply can not be answered without general location knowledge. Our nation alone coveres 6 time zones and climates from tropical to artic. At this tim eof year a Bic lighter, that is completely adequite in Florida, will not work in Alaska or some of the northern tier states.

One of my most unusual experiences was a trip to Arizona a couple of years back. We drove from the Grand Canyon to Tucson in one day and covered about 15 different climate zones in less than a day as the elevation changed. We had been walking among the pines in snow at the GC and were hit with a blast of 90 degree wind when we exited the vehicle among cactus and desert scrub in Tucson.

It is really difficult to recommend a proper sleeping bag if you do not know what part of AZ, or most any other region, the querry comes from.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-03-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool +1!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    People don't list locations for a variety of reasons, while others list a location that is not accurate. Then there is the whimsical location. If I need to know a location to answer a question I just ask.
    Like Crash said! If somebody asks for info and I don't have enough info like geographic location, and in some instances, age and gender, I ask. If they refuse that's fine, but I'm unable then to fulfill their request. They must not have wanted the info bad enough. Either that or America's Most Wanted is looking for them!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KYRATSHOOTER - "Many of these same people will post inventories of possessions and pictures of sorroundings to the point of absurdity."
    Yeah, I always am amused by those who refuse to list their state, yet post all that stuff you mentioned in order to show the other posters, "Yes indeedy, I am ready for repulsing 'the Man' and the 'raging masses' when TSHTF! That is, if they find me but 'they' can't find me, har har har."

These posters don't seem to comprehend the fact that if "the Man" wants to find out who some poster on the Internet is and where he or she lives, all "the Man" has to do is punch a few keys on his/her handy dandy megasuper computer and voila, there is the poster's real name, address, birth date, marital status, number of kids, what vehicle he drives, what he had for breakfast, and how many times he went to the bathroom yesterday.

Given the technology today and those who really know how to use it, nothing is secret or sacrosanct.

That's just the way of things.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 01-03-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

Yeah if you are on the net, somebody can find you, but by not being real specific about where you live, it will elliminate 98% of the low lifes that do not have the technology to locate you by tracing your IP address. So it does pay to be a little covert on the internet and forums in general. Plus, most preppers and sirvival types are just plain paranoid to begin with and will not post anything that would tip off their location!

I live in Utah.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I live in Little Rock Arkansas.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

The Mojave Desert, and I'm still 6' 200 pounds.

I live in a state of confusion. :-)