Thread: Decent and inexpensive metal detector

Default Decent and inexpensive metal detector

Hi guys, I'd like to get a metal detector for my birthday. However, I also don't wanna buy something very expensive and then be overwhelmed with the countless of options that I have to work with. I'd like to start off with something on the cheaper end and something that I can use at a beach. I know some machines can differentiate between iron, gold, silver, etc. but I'm not that picky and finding even $0.25 burried for 20 years would be pretty exciting .

Thoughts?

Can't go wrong with the Garrett line......low end around $150 to as much as you wanna spend.
    Have had one for over 20 years, battery holder broke, company replaced it for free last summer.

http://www.garrettcentral.com/?srcad...tal-detectors-
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a White's. While you might not think the discriminator ability is important you are going to be amazed at how many soda can pull tabs are in the ground. You will be digging up thousands and thousands without the ability to discriminate between junk like that and things that might have value.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have used the Garrett ACE 250 and really like it, the ACE 350 would be better.
    Have also used MineLab underwater detector (highend $$$) and the Tesoro brand. You night check with WWW,kellyco.com as they specialize in detectors.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by coaldust; 01-02-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Life member NRA
    Life member Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Live member A.F.& A.M. (Masonic Lodge)
    Big Bore Air Rifle Shooter

I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker and a Fisher Pulse.

Both are good....the BHT is around $200 IIRC.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Alternately, if you want to have some fun building something: http://electrosuite.com/sensor/detec...#axzz2GsX2fsbW
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Alternately, if you want to have some fun building something: http://electrosuite.com/sensor/detec...#axzz2GsX2fsbW
    First I'd need to comprehend basic electronics . I can't really follow the diagram. But, honestly, it's worth a try.