Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: natural replacements for RX ??

This is certainly something I've been considering. If I ever have to drop off my 5 prescription, 1 over the counter, and 3 supplements, what do I do.

It's one thing to say that you can take foxgloves for heart problems but it's another thing entirely to make it work. The toxic dose of digitalis is so close to the therapeutic dosage that you don't want to make a mistake and natural drugs, again, are not consistent. In the old days, they had to titrate a heart patient on digitalis. I guess I could try that out but I'm thinking I'm not going to have that much time to play around with dosages.

I ask my doctor what i would do if I ever found myself without my medications and I've yet to get an answer from him.

I think I'm going to hope that I can taper off the blood pressure meds and hope that my heart has improved to the point that I can make another 20 years or so before I drop dead of a massage coronary.......
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    This is certainly something I've been considering. If I ever have to drop off my 5 prescription, 1 over the counter, and 3 supplements, what do I do.

It's one thing to say that you can take foxgloves for heart problems but it's another thing entirely to make it work. The toxic dose of digitalis is so close to the therapeutic dosage that you don't want to make a mistake and natural drugs, again, are not consistent. In the old days, they had to titrate a heart patient on digitalis. I guess I could try that out but I'm thinking I'm not going to have that much time to play around with dosages.

I ask my doctor what i would do if I ever found myself without my medications and I've yet to get an answer from him.

I think I'm going to hope that I can taper off the blood pressure meds and hope that my heart has improved to the point that I can make another 20 years or so before I drop dead of a massage coronary.......
    Until 20-25 yrs ago they gave you standardized digitalis (dried foxglove) and if you took too much, you would get serious nausea before the heart fluctiations that kill you. Now they give you the pure chemical and teh co-factors that cause this nause are not present so you go straight to dangerous heart fluctuations while bypassing the nausea

Quote Originally Posted by wildgarlic View Post
    There have been cases of cancer going away in people who drank a very large amount of pureed fresh blackberries. The pacific yew was the original source of the anti cancer drug Taxol. Foxglove: be very very careful.
    Blackberries also work well due to the high levels of antioxidants which help prevent further growth and spread of tumorous growths.

I ordered Prescription for Nutritional Healing: The A to Z Guide to Supplements (Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A-To-Z Guide to Supplements. I figure I can stock up on anything OTC I need.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDisme3 View Post
    I ordered Prescription for Nutritional Healing: The A to Z Guide to Supplements (Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A-To-Z Guide to Supplements. I figure I can stock up on anything OTC I need.

Good book, but for something like a thyroid issue, you need more than supplements