Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo inventory

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Ammo inventory

WHY...WHY...WHY...WHY.....Would "YOU" ever...ever run out of AMMO..???

I see posting of members looking for ammo.........WHY

If you own a .22LR why do you NOT own at least 2,000 rounds of .22LR minimum at any given time.

If you own a 12 Ga. or 20 Ga. or .410 why would you NOT own at least a case of ammo for each.

If you own a 5.56 NATO firearm, and the AMMO price doubles or triples, WHY do you call those who have ammo for sale "Gougers" Why not call yourself something......???

Why do sportsmen go to the store and buy (1) One BOX of rifle ammo for hunting....The week before season opens.....????

REALLY......without ammo all you have is a bump-jack handle or a poorly designed "Club".

Why blame others for your not owning ammo.......????

Why do you assume there will always be food and ammo available.......???? The supply line for both could end......with zero warning.

Don't get caught without food, fuel, ammo.

Amen.....that is all.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Absolutely Sourdough
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

There are those that like their bases covered, and those that will never be ready.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You left out "cash in the pockets" Sourdough!

Empty gun, empty pantry, empty fuel tank and empty pockets often equils disaster even when times are not hard.

I espically have no sympathy for anyone caught with no ammo in the present situation. Everyone knew this was comming.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You left out "cash in the pockets" Sourdough!

Empty gun, empty pantry, empty fuel tank and empty pockets often equils disaster even when times are not hard.
    Amen to that, Kyrat.

Sometimes people have to set priorities...don't have the luxury of having it all.
    In the rules of survival...you know...3 sec, 3 min. 3 days, etc. ammo is somehow omitted.
    Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Amen to that, Kyrat.

Sometimes people have to set priorities...don't have the luxury of having it all.
    In the rules of survival...you know...3 sec, 3 min. 3 days, etc. ammo is somehow omitted.
    Just sayin'.

I include ammo in the 3 weeks without food section.

Right now I have it figured that if I shoot a deer every other week, and small game on the alternate weeks my 6th generation decendants will run out of ammo sometime in the late months of 2215.

Of course that does not count the bows, arrows, black powder and airguns stuff.

Ya gotta' think about the future!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.

I include ammo in the 3 weeks without food section.

Right now I have it figured that if I shoot a deer every other week, and small game on the alternate weeks my 6th generation decendants will run out of ammo sometime in the late months of 2215.

Ya gotta' think about the future!
    Don't disagree with that.

As for the rest, well, we could do worse...so more power to you.
    Wish we were neighbors.

Ammo inventory should also include where possible;
    Per gauge or caliber;
    Powder, primers, bullets, loading dies and bullet mold.....
    Lead.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Prior to the current panic, I had heard the suggestion of 1,000 rounds per weapon and 5,000 rounds per .22 for SHTF. Since I didn't have a better idea, I have used that as my target inventory. I'm taking the current panic as a reason to reevaluate how much ammo should be stored, by caliber. I have what I thought was enough as of 2 weeks ago, and the current panic is probably mild compared to a real SHTF scenario. I expect that the stocking problem will persist for awhile, and then afterward there will be some bargains, just like people returning generators after a hurricane. At that point I will stock up to my new target inventory levels.

This has occurred before and seems to be more intense this time. Why not learn from it to prepare for next time?

I dont like putting my current ammo inventory on the internet, but a 5 gallon bucket of .22 bulk pack is not a bad thing. I have noticed that in my location the "panic buying" is not as prominent as it in in the lower 48. Having just left the Idaho area after holidays with family I can attest that wal-marts ammo shelves in Idaho are virtually empty. Just got back from Wally world here in AK and the shelves look fine. In fact there are still bricks of Balzers sitting around. I noticed the same phenomenon back in '09 with the ammo shortage. Alaskans in general more prepared? Just harder to send into a panic? I cant say for sure.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I had to sell/give away all my ammo before I moved. Couldn't ship it and didn't want the hassle of taking it through Canada. I'm still in the process of rebuilding my supply. Kind of hard to spend money on ammo with all the other expenses a growing family endure. Slow and steady I'll get my supply up, if it's available.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Doug, Are you never going back to Alaska? If you are, I would have simply cached the ammo someplace safe.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Doug, Are you never going back to Alaska? If you are, I would have simply cached the ammo someplace safe.
    No idea I hope to go back. At the mercy of the USAF for the next 12 years. A lot can happen in 12 years.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Prior to the current panic, I had heard the suggestion of 1,000 rounds per weapon and 5,000 rounds per .22 for SHTF. Since I didn't have a better idea, I have used that as my target inventory. I'm taking the current panic as a reason to reevaluate how much ammo should be stored, by caliber. I have what I thought was enough as of 2 weeks ago, and the current panic is probably mild compared to a real SHTF scenario. I expect that the stocking problem will persist for awhile, and then afterward there will be some bargains, just like people returning generators after a hurricane. At that point I will stock up to my new target inventory levels.

This has occurred before and seems to be more intense this time. Why not learn from it to prepare for next time?
    For some unusual reason I have never seen the private stocks offered for sale after these buying sprees. I have also neve seen the prices of ammo go down after the inventory recovered.

There is no target ammount of ammo to shoot for. It all depends on your expected long term use. All the centerfire stuff will be relitively useless once the big game is shot out. The rimfire stuff will be gone soon once most shooters find they are firing 5-10 shots per rabbit/squirrel and it is simply impossible to down large game with their peashooters working at the average shooter's skill level. SHTF and hungry, exhaused and freezing factored in the accuracy level of the best will go to pot.

SHTF small shot shotgun shells will be worth their weight in gold. I lived through the "small game only era" in the south and in spite of the rimfire hocus-pokus the shotgun still rules for upland/small game of any kind.

Too much emphisis is placed on buckshot and slugs. That shotgun and #6-#8 game loads are what will keep you fed in crisis once the deer are gone.

For some unusual reason I have never seen the private stocks offered for sale after these buying sprees. I have also neve seen the prices of ammo go down after the inventory recovered.

There is no target ammount of ammo to shoot for. It all depends on your expected long term use. All the centerfire stuff will be relitively useless once the big game is shot out. The rimfire stuff will be gone soon once most shooters find they are firing 5-10 shots per rabbit/squirrel and it is simply impossible to down large game with their peashooters working at the average shooter's skill level. SHTF and hungry, exhaused and freezing factored in the accuracy level of the best will go to pot.

SHTF small shot shotgun shells will be worth their weight in gold. I lived through the "small game only era" in the south and in spite of the rimfire hocus-pokus the shotgun still rules for upland/small game of any kind.

Too much emphisis is placed on buckshot and slugs. That shotgun and #6-#8 game loads are what will keep you fed in crisis once the deer are gone.
    Good points. The only reason I mention SHTF is I figure if I don't have enough to get through shortages now, then I sure don't have enough to get through SHTF, and I need to adjust my thinking on what is the right amount to stockpile.

Since I live in a relatively urbanized area, my shooting is mostly at a local pistol range, but based on your advice I am going to up my target for #8 shotgun regardless of how this episode unfolds. The good news is I get to learn from this experience and will be better prepared in the future as a result. I am expecting to alter my future plans based on what I see myself getting low on, what I can see is a problem in the marketplace, and what I learn from others along the way.

I don't know what will happen with panic buy stocks, but I can imagine people just slowly using it, stockpiling it, selling it to friends, dumping at a gun show, etc. You may be right about prices going one way, especially if we get a round of general inflation. However, I am expecting the froth in .223/5.56 to go away, and availability in all calibers to improve over time. By then I want to have revised my targets for how much I want to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    WHY...WHY...WHY...WHY.....Would "YOU" ever...ever run out of AMMO..???

I see posting of members looking for ammo.........WHY

If you own a .22LR why do you NOT own at least 2,000 rounds of .22LR minimum at any given time.

If you own a 12 Ga. or 20 Ga. or .410 why would you NOT own at least a case of ammo for each.

If you own a 5.56 NATO firearm, and the AMMO price doubles or triples, WHY do you call those who have ammo for sale "Gougers" Why not call yourself something......???

Why do sportsmen go to the store and buy (1) One BOX of rifle ammo for hunting....The week before season opens.....????

REALLY......without ammo all you have is a bump-jack handle or a poorly designed "Club".

Why blame others for your not owning ammo.......????

Why do you assume there will always be food and ammo available.......???? The supply line for both could end......with zero warning.

Don't get caught without food, fuel, ammo.
    I'm good......but I'll probably get more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm good......but I'll probably get more.
    I suspect most on this forum are "good" for the current event. I just think that this is an opportunity to come up with a smarter set of goals for inventory. Should food storage be 3 days, or a year's supply? It's a judgement call with this group being inclined toward more is better. Same problem for ammo. I'm probably going to redefine "good" for myself.

Last year we had Hurricane Irene. I learned from that and I installed a generator and stored some more food and fuel, so when Sandy came along, I was comfortable. Having experienced Sandy, I have again adjusted my thinking on the amount of food and fuel that needs to be on hand for natural disasters. I'm not sure what this situation will do to my thinking as it isn't over yet, but I am sure I will have different thoughts on how much is enough once this is over.

I don't think anyone needs to post what they actually have. We all have different circumstances in any case. However, I would appreciate thoughts on how much one should have whether it is per weapon, or per person, or arrived at in some other fashion, along with the reasoning for their recommendation.

The election made the group decide to extend past 24 months in LTS....and that is even being rethought after we had a meeting with an accountant.

Ammunition is covered....and new purchases were thought to be just academic.....but that too is being rethought.

A lot of things for our group have been looked at in a different light....fuel stores....med supplies.... power inverters...etc

It really turned the "if" into "when" for some of the more reserved folks.

I have decided to relocate some of my stores permanently to the BOL....just to save the transport time in the event.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

My big concern at this point is getting things scattered about with enough effeciency to be safe, secure, and accessable, while not having all the eggs in one basket.

Even when you live on the BOL you have to spread things out a bit.

That and the floors are starting to sag.

And here in KY you do take the chance that if you lean one more shotgun against the wrong wall the house could tumble down into the holler'.