Thread: The Forager's Phone App

Question The Forager's Phone App

Hey folks,

I'm new to these forums and relatively new to foraging - I've been slowly learning to identify wild mushrooms and plan on branching out to plants this spring. So far I can confidently ID chantrelles, black trumpets, chaga, and a handful of the poisonous ones. This summer I stumbled across what I believe to be a rare "Orchard's Tooth" in Maine... pretty cool looking shroom (see photos)! Photo 1: http://oi48.tinypic.com/1z4v42e.jpg Photo 2: http://oi47.tinypic.com/2e2gd35.jpg

Anyway, the topic of this post is not mushrooms, it is to get some opinions about a phone app that I'm thinking about building. My day job is freelance software developement and I'm always looking for ways to combine my work and my hobbies. This app could be one way!

The basic idea that I have is to build a phone app that will help forager's document specimens in the field. For example, the app could allow the user to take photos, record notes, name, and tag the location (using gps) of specimens. The app would archive these records and provide a slick UI to quickly search past entries.

This idea is in it's early stages and I'm really looking to gauge interest. So what do you think?
    Would you use something like this?
    What kind of features would you like to see in an app like this?

Thanks for your time,
    Elliot

It might be handy to some that carry the type of phone/device that can use it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Check this one out and see how your idea compares..
    http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

THE WILD EDIBLES Series:
    The Master Foraging Apps

Now selling
    in the iTunes Store
    and
    the Android Marketplace!

Enjoy excerpts of this app.

MotionX-GPS does all of what you propose. It's marketed as a Navigation app though, and is the bee's knees. I use it for just what you propose, as well as many, many other things.

But, good marketing will sell a McBurger.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Will it work if you are out of cell range?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

@BENESSE
    Cool! Thanks for sharing that. The app that I have in mind would be more of a e-notebook and less of a pocket reference... although maybe some day it could include reference material as well.

@intothenew
    Motion-X GPS looks really useful. Does it allow you to "tag" a location and take photos / notes? Are there any foraging-like features that it's lacking?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Will it work if you are out of cell range?
    Yes and no. You can always take photos and notes - that doesn't require service. But if you wanted to tag a location using GPS, that would depend on range / service. However, I believe that GPS coverage is different than regular coverage needed to make calls, etc... (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for input, keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by ejb View Post
    .........Motion-X GPS looks really useful. Does it allow you to "tag" a location

Yes

and take photos / notes?

Yes and Yes

Are there any foraging-like features that it's lacking?..........

For my purposes, No. But, if I wanted to take things to a different level, there are plenty of Trip Journal apps that have the "slick UI". I do use the Wild Edible app by Brill that BENESSE mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ejb View Post
    Yes and no. You can always take photos and notes - that doesn't require service. But if you wanted to tag a location using GPS, that would depend on range / service. However, I believe that GPS coverage is different than regular coverage needed to make calls, etc... (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for input, keep it coming!
    Most, and I highly stress most, late model smart phones carry a dedicated GPS chip. They do not need cell signal to operate as a GPS. There is one big issue that confuses people, and that is mapsets. To load mapsets, you need wifi or cell, at some point. The smart thing to do is to have an app that will allow you to cache the maps, load them before you leave cell/wifi. Guess what? MotionX-GPS allows that. Some apps, I think, even come canned with maps. Navigon does, I think.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite