Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 year old saying hello

BOY SCOUTS. I loved my time in the scouts and I would HIGHLY recommend to any young man who wants to learn woodcraft.

The thought come to mind that many are looking for a instant solution....Example:

How do I make fire with a bow drill?...watched a few u tubes and no luck....So whats the secret?

Then when the secret method isn't put forth in a "do it every time easily"...They move on.

Used to have to read books, fail, find some one that's good at it,"IN Their Area" ask for help and work on it from there.

Called instant gratification.

Hope that isn't the case here.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I agree with finding the nearest scout troup. I was taught by them in cub scouts (ages 7-10) to make fires, vacuum the house, tie knots, cut firewood, morse code, sign language alphabet.... LOTS of useful stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I understand what you all are saying, but we now live in a society where Tort Lawyers abide...rather well. About two months ago a young girl pulled out right in front of my bus that was traveling at 24 miles an hour.(this was certified by the GPS tracking the company puts on all of the Transit buses.) I slammed into her and she spun around, hitting another car that was waiting to pull out onto the street. I had been passing an end-loader that was about to make a right hand turn into the large parking lot that the waiting car was about to exit. The end loader driver, not seeing me, had motioned her on across. This was verified by 3 witnesses, including the driver of the 2nd vehicle that was hit. As a result, both the end-loader driver and the University whom he works for are being sued by the girl's insurance company, even though she wasn't paying attention to my bus at all. It looks like the insurance company is going to win the law suit as the insurance companies for the other two are willing to settle out of court. There have been several other instances of some of our drivers being sued for braking suddenly when some high school students created a disturbance on the bus. The drivers were immediately terminated! One driver, a retired police officer had a fight on his school bus. A very large boy was on top of another boy, punching the poor kid's lights out and ignoring the driver's verbal attempts to get him to stop. The driver simply pulled the big kid off of the other one and received a 3-day suspension without pay for his efforts. Seems like the School district here forbids any drivers to even touch a child. I have since refused to drive any of our school buses as a result.

Remember, this 13 year old is not related to any of you, therefore you don't have parental permission to give him any direct information. If you want to, as Kyrat said, point him to a link, then, hopefully you won't get in any trouble. Myself, I won't do it, and if a 13 year old child of mine came on here asking about this, and I didn't know any of you like I do now, then I'd make him quit the forum and tell the others to leave my kid alone, that it was MY responsibility to teach him what I felt that he needs to know since I know him better than any of you...that is if this really WAS a 13 year old kid. Note that he hasn't been back since the one post a few days ago. Just sayin'.

I think if we have reached a point in society where we can't tell a 13 year old how to build a fire for fear of getting sued ...we have lost
    As far as him not returning....this argument probably reminded him of his family.......so I would say this opportunity to help and encourage a young man has failed miserably....good job everyone.....

Quote Originally Posted by kennethdnunn View Post
    I think if we have reached a point in society where we can't tell a 13 year old how to build a fire for fear of getting sued ...we have lost
    As far as him not returning....this argument probably reminded him of his family.......so I would say this opportunity to help and encourage a young man has failed miserably....good job everyone.....
    We've lost when "we"/society think we know better what's right for a 13yr. old than his family. (hello?!)
    I certainly wouldn't want an anonymous bunch on the internet giving my kid advice that I know nothing about...especially if it's advice I may have an issue with.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    We've lost when "we"/society think we know better what's right for a 13yr. old than his family. (hello?!)
    I certainly wouldn't want an anonymous bunch on the internet giving my kid advice that I know nothing about...especially if it's advice I may have an issue with.
    Yep, that right is reserved for the public school system!

Just sayin'.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool Agreed!

Now you understand! Society HAS changed and people get sued over many things, some of them trivial. Like McDonald's getting sued, and losing, for selling hot coffee to an idiot who didn't realize it would really be hot! Ever hear of "Stranger Danger!" Parents sometimes are very protective of their children, I know we were when our boy was growing up. Besides, how does anyone really know how qualified somebody is here on the internet, or if they're a pedophile? My son, the former Marine, is very cautious who his 15 year old son talks to and has been that way since his boy's birth. The same goes for his daughters! Maybe you have plenty of money to pay off the Tort lawyers but some of us don't...and also need to be careful. Besides, I think a group like the Boy Scouts, for example, would be a better place for him to learn. Hands on adult supervision and the parents know who they are. Time to get with today's modern age, bad as it might be, that's the reality.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

evidently his family has no problem with him being on the internet ........I can think of a worse anonymous bunch for him to take advise from....

Now you understand! Society HAS changed and people get sued over many things, some of them trivial. Like McDonald's getting sued, and losing, for selling hot coffee to an idiot who didn't realize it would really be hot! Ever hear of "Stranger Danger!" Parents sometimes are very protective of their children, I know we were when our boy was growing up. Besides, how does anyone really know how qualified somebody is here on the internet, or if they're a pedophile? My son, the former Marine, is very cautious who his 15 year old son talks to and has been that way since his boy's birth. The same goes for his daughters! Maybe you have plenty of money to pay off the Tort lawyers but some of us don't...and also need to be careful. Besides, I think a group like the Boy Scouts, for example, would be a better place for him to learn. Hands on adult supervision and the parents know who they are. Time to get with today's modern age, bad as it might be, that's the reality.
    When I get with today's modern age , "political correctness" I will be six feet under ...that sounds a lot like what the modern age people are saying about gun control ....the 2nd A....is out dated.....sound familiar?.....if not it will before this is over.....like I said ...we lose

evidently his family has no problem with him being on the internet ........I can think of a worse anonymous bunch for him to take advise from....
    Me too...but I've been a members since 2009...I feel I know quite a few people but his parents don't. Besides, being on the internet in itself isn't a bad idea, you can learn a lot. You just have to be able to discriminate between sources and that's sometimes hard even for grownups let alone kids.

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this....

When I get with today's modern age , "political correctness" I will be six feet under ...that sounds a lot like what the modern age people are saying about gun control ....the 2nd A....is out dated.....sound familiar?.....if not it will before this is over.....like I said ...we lose
    What are you talking about? We've already lost. You think this site isn't monitored by the Government? I'm sure that it is. We're the widest read survival forum on the net! Some members of law enforcement are, or have been members. Besides, like I said, if this REALLY WAS a 13 year old then the best place for him to learn is from a group like the Boy Scouts. The legal issues that can pertain to a minor child is one of the reasons why we do not allow anyone under the age of 18 to be part of a knife give-away. Also, to trap animals without the proper license/permit is illegal except in a true survival situation. No, I don't think we should encourage any of that, not being able to actually monitor what's really going on. I applaud you wanting to teach young people the basics of outdoor skills, but perhaps you can do it "hands on," where you live? Just a suggestion. Anyway, no offense, but you do want you want, just don't involve me, okay?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Me too...but I've been a members since 2009...I feel I know quite a few people but his parents don't. Besides, being on the internet in itself isn't a bad idea, you can learn a lot. You just have to be able to discriminate between sources and that's sometimes hard even for grownups let alone kids.
    Well....I am new and know know one....You could be a 13 year old for all I know ....I would venture to say half the Folks on any Forum are not what they claim to be....but that is true with anything so I would say the kid made a pretty good choice choosing a survival Forum...instead of a game of some type or even worse....as for a safe group like the Boy Scouts...they have problems also.....

What are you talking about? We've already lost. You think this site isn't monitored by the Government? I'm sure that it is. We're the widest read survival forum on the net! Some members of law enforcement are, or have been members. Besides, like I said, if this REALLY WAS a 13 year old then the best place for him to learn is from a group like the Boy Scouts. The legal issues that can pertain to a minor child is one of the reasons why we do not allow anyone under the age of 18 to be part of a knife give-away. Also, to trap animals without the proper license/permit is illegal except in a true survival situation. No, I don't think we should encourage any of that, not being able to actually monitor what's really going on. I applaud you wanting to teach young people the basics of outdoor skills, but perhaps you can do it "hands on," where you live? Just a suggestion. Anyway, no offense, but you do want you want, just don't involve me, okay?
    What does being monitored by the Government have to do with anything...everything is monitored by the Government.....I am monitor by the Government...an for your information I do a lot where I live...Now how do you know the age of any person on this Forum....you think kids don't know how to beat the system....how am I involving you by stating my position?....

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

What does being monitored by the Government have to do with anything...everything is monitored by the Government.....I am monitor by the Government...an for your information I do a lot where I live...Now how do you know the age of any person on this Forum....you think kids don't know how to beat the system....how am I involving you by stating my position?....
    Kenneth, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Thank you for your input.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Kenneth, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Thank you for your input.
    I agree hope no hard feelings.....

Blog Entries

Cool Nope!

I agree hope no hard feelings.....
    Nah, I'm Irish, you ought to see our family reunions! However we obviously see things differently, and that's okay. I'm probably more sensitive to the potential problems because of my job! I wouldn't even offer a kid a piece of candy without mom or dad's approval. Take care.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I agree, reluctantly, with this, in principal. I work for a state government, and much of what we do is decided by lawsuits. Some of what we do (state prisons) is stupid and appalling and totally defies common sense, yet we do it because someone won a lawsuit and the state paid out. It's unfortunate, but true.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    I agree, reluctantly, with this, in principal. I work for a state government, and much of what we do is decided by lawsuits. Some of what we do (state prisons) is stupid and appalling and totally defies common sense, yet we do it because someone won a lawsuit and the state paid out. It's unfortunate, but true.
    Sucks, don't it!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Well folks I don't think anyone has to worry about "tainting" a young man here,.... leading him astray and such.....Be be gone a long time ago.
    I supprised he didn't leave a ......."Sheesh, you old guys are weird", post.

Carry on.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well folks I don't think anyone has to worry about "tainting" a young man here,.... leading him astray and such.....Be be gone a long time ago.
    I supprised he didn't leave a ......."Sheesh, you old guys are weird", post.

Carry on.......
    My little girl is on here sometimes. I don't worry about any advice she gets. Here is why!

1) If anyone got outta line with her when I turned my back, I have every confidence Rick, Crash, Sarge47, Hunter63, Benesse, Nell, and KYratshooter will sit them down quick.
    2) She runs straight from her PC in her room to her Dad asking if I saw that and is it OK to say this.

This is the only social site I have allowed thus, far. That says alot about you guys, I am an overprotective Dad.

Wait til' she figures out she can harass you guys with her new Ipad....
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 12-29-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson