Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pellets vs rimfire

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Perhaps it's a question of finances?

That is exactly what it is Sarge.

There is a deficit in the accounts anytime an airgun is considered as a primary firearm.

One only makes the airgun choice if there is a felony on the record and a real gun is not allowed.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Perhaps it's a question of finances?
    No, just a desire for reliability. More complex system are more likely to fail. Which is probably why I'm even considering a rimfire. My first choice was a 22 break barrel pellet rifle. However, I've done a lot of research on those and the internal mechanisms are pretty complex (and, yes, turns out they are noisier than I thought they would be). Therefore, from what I've seen, the least complicated, and therefore most reliable, in my opinion, is the single shot rimfire .22.

If I get a more complex firearm, such as the .22 pellet rifle, or a .22 semi auto, I will need to lean how to keep them maintained, and how to fix what breaks, and keep on hand whatever tools I need for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That is exactly what it is Sarge.

There is a deficit in the accounts anytime an airgun is considered as a primary firearm.

One only makes the airgun choice if there is a felony on the record and a real gun is not allowed.
    Good grief! I don't have a felony record (couldn't work at the prison with one of those), real guns are allowed in Colorado . . . and have you looked at the prices of the really good air guns? You can buy two or three 10-22s for what a good German air gun goes for.

If that is truly the case, and reliability is your major concern, then the advice concerning the NEF handirifle is the way to go. Picking the proper caliber/guage will be up to what is turning out to be your own special desires.

You have about 8 moving parts and you can take one down to the last bits with nothing but a hammer, screwdriver and a couple of nails for punches. I know this because I have done it more times than I wanted. Back in the '80s the company had a bad parts run of transfer bars and I had to replace many of them. The problem was eleminated and I would not consider it a concern at this time.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...eSB2-37578.htm

You could purchase all the internal moving parts as a repair kit and stash them away for your grandchildren to use, because that will be how long it takes to break a handirifle.

Yes, I know what top quality German airguns cost. That has absolutely nothing to do with their feasibility as one's primary survival weapon. Airguns are backup for real firearms for use in special situations. Your obsession with them is disquieting.

You ask for advice but argue with the advice we give. This is not an airgun forum, it is a group of all around shooters giving recommendations from our experience.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-25-2012 at 11:48 PM.

I think the perfect survival rifle is the combination rifle in .22 , and 20 gauge calibers. I just dont know how it could get any better than that! If you want to keep your shooting as quiet as possible, use the .22 shorts / CB caps and the report will be less than most high powered pellet rifles.
    We all know that the .22 is the perfect survival rifle and the 20 gauge is just icing on the cake!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 12-26-2012 at 09:30 AM.

You wanna' fight don't you WT! You bored again?

Everybody knows the perfect survival gun is a 12 ga. 20 ga is #2 or 16 ga if you happen to b in certain South American countries. I already told you that and you just won't listen.

.22 is at the bottom of the list right above the pellet rifle and sharp pointy stick. Come to think of it, I have a real good walking stick I might just pick over the .22, espcally if all I had was shorts or CB caps! I can always snare rabbits and kill them with the stick and not have to chase wounded critters all over kingdom come.

Besides, you can use a .22 adapter in a shotgun but you will never figureout a way to shoot 12 or 20 ga slugs out of a .22!

Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.

stiffy already indicated he was looking to HIDE instead of fight. Blasting off 12 GA rounds (which I love to do) is NOT a good way to hide.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Rossi makes a gun that has two barrels, one a shotgun, the other a .22. You can switch them out easily enough. Remember, by changing over to a shotgun and using deer slugs, you then have the equivalent of a short range, high-power rifle. That might come in handy if somebody finds you while you are hiding...just a thought.
    Hehe, ya Sarge, that's kinda like when I picked out my first gun ever. Single shot Cooey 410 push'n 3' magnums with birdshot, goose loads and plenty of slugs for dear or attempted defense...Same barrel, different loads. lb
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I think the perfect survival rifle is the combination rifle in .22 , and 20 gauge calibers. I just dont know how it could get any better than that! If you want to keep your shooting as quiet as possible, use the .22 shorts / CB caps and the report will be less than most high powered pellet rifles.
    We all know that the .22 is the perfect survival rifle and the 20 gauge is just icing on the cake!
    Still looking for the Savage M24 aren't ya...........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    stiffy already indicated he was looking to HIDE instead of fight. Blasting off 12 GA rounds (which I love to do) is NOT a good way to hide.
    He also says that he's a prison guard in Colorado. I lived in that State, near Canon City, for nigh on to 8 years. I also covered the whole state when I was on the road selling insurance. Where I lived, I was surrounded by 7 or 8 penal institutes. Every so often an inmate or two would escape and head for the mountains. Locals on horseback always found them quite easily. Unless Stiffy is looking at the National Forest, then there's not a whole lot of brush where he can safely hide. Even then, there would be a lot of unsavory types up in that area as well, not to mention the scarcity of water. I wish him a lot of luck, but I don't think a single-shot .22 is going to do it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

You wanna' fight don't you WT! You bored again?

Everybody knows the perfect survival gun is a 12 ga. 20 ga is #2 or 16 ga if you happen to b in certain South American countries. I already told you that and you just won't listen.

.22 is at the bottom of the list right above the pellet rifle and sharp pointy stick. Come to think of it, I have a real good walking stick I might just pick over the .22, espcally if all I had was shorts or CB caps! I can always snare rabbits and kill them with the stick and not have to chase wounded critters all over kingdom come.

Besides, you can use a .22 adapter in a shotgun but you will never figureout a way to shoot 12 or 20 ga slugs out of a .22!

You take your old worthless shotgun, and I will take my little .22, and seperate ourselves to about a hundred yards and see who catches lead first. All shotguns are good for are people that cant hit a big barn at 25 yards. Shotguns are for old ladies that cant see so they just point, hope, and shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    You take your old worthless shotgun, and I will take my little .22, and seperate ourselves to about a hundred yards and see who catches lead first. All shotguns are good for are people that cant hit a big barn at 25 yards. Shotguns are for old ladies that cant see so they just point, hope, and shoot!
    OK, you did not specify what shot size I had to use, so I choose #3 buck. That way I get to throw 20, 22 caliber pellets with each shot. Bet I hit something or at least make it stay inside that barn till I leave.

And there are those times when all you have to watch your back is some little old lady. Don't mess with a scared little old lady toting a shotgun!

Let's look at it from the other direction.

Say you have that .22 SS and one day you look across the way and there are three guys comming your way. Yep, they saw you, know you are thare. One has a 12 ga, one has an evil black rifle and one has a .22.

Which one do you take out first?
    Which one do you save for last?

"The one with the crazy eyes"....The outlaw Josey Wales.

Most likely the one with the .22........as that's all he has and know how to use it.......

Next, The shotgun guy is empty as he has to "wrack a round into it, and scare the bejesus out of you"

EBR guy will spray a pray, last and will be amazed that he has run out of ammo with out hitting anything,
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

OK, you did not specify what shot size I had to use, so I choose #3 buck. That way I get to throw 20, 22 caliber pellets with each shot. Bet I hit something or at least make it stay inside that barn till I leave.

And there are those times when all you have to watch your back is some little old lady. Don't mess with a scared little old lady toting a shotgun!

Say you have that .22 SS and one day you look across the way and there are three guys comming your way. Yep, they saw you, know you are thare. One has a 12 ga, one has an evil black rifle and one has a .22.

I would take out the one with the AR-15 first, .22 second, and the shotgun last as long as he is out of buckshot range. There could be many variables to this you know?

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

I'd throw my wallet and watch at 'em and run like mad! However I think we've strayed a bit!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Probably the better question is:

What do you wish you were carrying instead of a SS .22?

Straying???

No real straying we can do. Stiffy wants a German pellet gun, so be it. I just hope all the newbies expecting an appoclipse have pellet rifles, espically if it actually happens.

Makes me feel much more secure knowing they can't penetrate the walls on the bug out trailer.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-26-2012 at 06:20 PM.

He also says that he's a prison guard in Colorado. I lived in that State, near Canon City, for nigh on to 8 years. I also covered the whole state when I was on the road selling insurance. Where I lived, I was surrounded by 7 or 8 penal institutes. Every so often an inmate or two would escape and head for the mountains. Locals on horseback always found them quite easily. Unless Stiffy is looking at the National Forest, then there's not a whole lot of brush where he can safely hide. Even then, there would be a lot of unsavory types up in that area as well, not to mention the scarcity of water. I wish him a lot of luck, but I don't think a single-shot .22 is going to do it!
    I live in Canon City which, as you will recall is right next to the mountains. In fact, public mountain land is less than two hundred feet behind my house. And today's typical inmate is a twenty-something gang banger who's probably never been camping, never been hiking, and hasn't got a clue how to live in the mountains. So I'm not worried about escaped inmates. I know the mountains far better than 99 percent of them.

By the way, I've set my sights on the Savage MK II repeater, $167 at Wal Mart. I took a look at the New England single shot, but I really prefer a bolt action, and the little bolt action youth single shot models are just too small.
    Last edited by Stiffy; 12-26-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    I live in Canon City which, as you will recall is right next to the mountains. In fact, public mountain land is less than two hundred feet behind my house. And today's typical inmate is a twenty-something gang banger who's probably never been camping, never been hiking, and hasn't got a clue how to live in the mountains. So I'm not worried about escaped inmates. I know the mountains far better than 99 percent of them.

By the way, I've set my sights on the Savage MK II repeater, $167 at Wal Mart. I took a look at the New England single shot, but I really prefer a bolt action, and the little bolt action youth single shot models are just too small.
    Good decision Stiffy, you now own the perfect survival rifle. A bolt action .22 will take care of most chores you could ever need while in the wilderness, and they are one of the most dependable rifles ever!

You might not have gotten what I would have chosen, but you still made a good choice.

Put a good scope on it and you will have a good rabbit/squirrel gun if you can make them hold still long enough to get a shot. I find they do not folow instructions well.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Still looking for the Savage M24 aren't ya...........

Hunter, some of us old geezers need to find some other equally old geezer that owns a machine shop and start turning out the old style Savage 24 again. In the present climate I bet we would make a fortune!

If not a fortune at least beer money!

We could use a standard frame and a "block" that held the barrels.

We could buy .22 tube stock and chamber it for "any .22 caliber"
    We could also buy 30 caliber tube stock and ream it to any ".30 caliber"

Hold the shotgun to 20 ga only to make things a little simple and keep down frame size.