Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost another chicken

Or is it mules that keep the preditors at bay? I don't remember which. Maybe both?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by jaydentor View Post
    Get a donkey?

Hard to keep a donkey on a one acre lot!

And the only animals I ever had that would really keep the coyotes at bay were the llamas I raised down in TN. I had donkeys on the same property and they did not do the job.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Spent a lot of time with a gun over them,and a lot of well placed traps,I am sure,when you think about the number a varmints out there they had to contend with (fox,possum,raccoon,stray dogs,mink,weasels etc.) I don't think they got much sleep at night.
    How about getting a dog? The barking alone will discourage most animals from approaching.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    How about getting a dog? The barking alone will discourage most animals from approaching.
    Most dogs kill chickens! That's why the coyote is a problem, it's a part of the Canine family.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

This coyote enjoys the occasional dog for supper.

One of the neighbors has a Yorky and there is a pool going over how long that little furball will last. The yote has killed dogs up to beagle size that I have been told of and I am really surprised someone in the neighborhood has not already killed it. I think they have hunted it until they have educated it well. It is fast, sneeky and stays out of sight until int makes its kill, and then is gone in an instant with supper.

I need to get off my lazy butt and build a blind in the back yard, then set the predator call out and deal with this critter.

I found tracks in the snow where he had circled the chicken coop during the night. He is still hanging around.

I also had deer tracks cutting across the yard and a couple of rabbits.

I think one of my summer projects is going to be a new fence around the yard. It is not a cure but it will be a help. Last summer I wound up catching several of the racoons inside the wire and that was hilarious! They would bounce off the sides, then bounce off the overhead wire, and evertually get into a corner and spin in circles looking for a way out. I ma not be able to keep tem out but perhaps I can slow their escape long enough for the #4 shot to do its work.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-28-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Most dogs kill chickens! That's why the coyote is a problem, it's a part of the Canine family.
    If you don't feed it. Based on my relatives' farming habits with various dogs, the two animals ignore each other for the most part.

If you don't feed it. Based on my relatives' farming habits with various dogs, the two animals ignore each other for the most part.
    Dogs are like any other predator,when another animal runs from it,it WILL give chase,and kill it if it catches it,dogs have to be taught not chase and kill the chickens,but it is not that difficult to teach,consistancy is key.

All those goats and calves in Shepherdsville KY that have been mauled and/or killed was being done by a very large,well fed dog.
    Last edited by nell67; 12-28-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

What about one of these?

Blog Entries

Cool Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydentor View Post
    What about one of these?
    Man that sucker only costs 20 bucks! You can get up to 4 for the same S & H if I'm reading it right! Cool!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blinking red lights in the wilds of KY!!!

Some redneck jacklighter would shoot it right between its little red blinkers!

That or the cops would be out here looking for a UFO.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Dogs are like any other predator,when another animal runs from it,it WILL give chase,and kill it if it catches it,dogs have to be taught not chase and kill the chickens,but it is not that difficult to teach,consistancy is key.

All those goats and calves in Shepherdsville KY that have been mauled and/or killed was being done by a very large,well fed dog.
    Sure. Or get several, smaller, mutts . My wife's grandma has like 40+ chickens, she has 3 small dogs (again, mutts, don't know the breed), never had a problem with predators.

And yes, keep the mutts fed.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Blinking red lights in the wilds of KY!!!

Some redneck jacklighter would shoot it right between its little red blinkers!

That or the cops would be out here looking for a UFO.
    At least you'd be entertained.

Sure. Or get several, smaller, mutts . My wife's grandma has like 40+ chickens, she has 3 small dogs (again, mutts, don't know the breed), never had a problem with predators.

And yes, keep the mutts fed.
    my former neighbors pack of wiener dog mixes killed 30+ of my chickens in one night......
    did not eat them,just killed them and left them lay.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

My dog keeps out all the predators from my chickens. But, I can't let her get near them, she will eat them. She has ate them in the past, if she can get to them. One time my daughter (around 6 at the time) was carrying a medium sized pullet, and the dog snatched it right out of her hands. She ran inside to tell mama. Mama came running out, and the dog had already eaten the entire chicken. There weren't even feathers on the ground. She did the same thing with me the next day. Let's just say that after that, she doesn't take animals from me out of my hands anymore. It is a pain to keep her and chickens and rabbits at the same time. But at least I only have to worry about one predator. She keeps everything else out of the yard.

Anyways, I won't give Kyratshooter any gun advice. That is like telling Santa how to deliver toys. The man knows more about rifles than anyone on this forum, especially .22s.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Hard to keep a donkey on a one acre lot!

And the only animals I ever had that would really keep the coyotes at bay were the llamas I raised down in TN. I had donkeys on the same property and they did not do the job.
    Our one guard llama has driven off some coyotes and one small wolf (at least it looked like one from a distance). He is VERY protective of our 28 alpacas and five barn cats.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Lost another hen. Coyotes.

The coyote came right into the yard in broad daylight and snatched the bird, then was gone before I could even grab the shotgun.

The birds will not be allowed to free range any more I fear.
    i feel your pain. i've been able to keep them safe fron the foxes, coons, hawks and eagles, but now that we are getting a large coyote population I'm losing a lot more. they are a lot more aggressive, especially in daylight when the chickens are roaming free. and when the snow fall makes a 4' fence only 2' they have no problem getting over it.

Hey Kyrat, if you'd like a hand just give me a yell. Recently picked up .30 carbine and wouldn't mind testing her out on wild dog!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm thinkin that is not youre average coyote, it could be a Kyrote and they are by far, more sneaky and hard to kill. To kill that critter, you will have to find his den, and spill his box of screws all over the floor, and steal his Mosin Nagent

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I'm thinkin that is not youre average coyote, it could be a Kyrote and they are by far, more sneaky and hard to kill. To kill that critter, you will have to find his den, and spill his box of screws all over the floor, and steal his Mosin Nagent
    Just don't shoot it with a 22.......you'll only make it laugh at you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ever thought of 'baitin' the sum***** ??

common practice Downunder for Dingos and wild dogs..........strychnine or arsenic, or 1080 will do the trick !!

just don't leave the bait where pet animals can get at it....or kids

Harry
    "use enough gun......"