Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost another chicken

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just don't shoot it with a 22.......you'll only make it laugh at you.
    Another way to kill the infamous Kyrote is to drop an Acme safe on his head from the sky, ( as in Wiley Kyrote )........snicker snort!

do you have a dog - our dog chases the coyotes off. They have been getting quite brave lately and sounds like we have a lot more this year - we'll be shooting a few - hope this keeps them at bay. We have trouble with coons and skunks getting ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydentor View Post
    Get a donkey?
    DCollyott
    Collyott Farms
    www.collyottfarms.com

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Another way to kill the infamous Kyrote is to drop an Acme safe on his head from the sky, ( as in Wiley Kyrote )........snicker snort!
    Already tried that, didn't work.

I don't have a good cliff or natural arch to work with and when I tried to pull it up into a tree the limbs kept bending. I did manage to sling half the block and tackle into the Judge's pool when the rope broke and it is sort of like the baseball in the Sandlots movie. I ain't even going to try to recover that thing!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Hey Kyrat, if you'd like a hand just give me a yell. Recently picked up .30 carbine and wouldn't mind testing her out on wild dog!
    Hey Nate, I didn't see this post from a month ago. We don't need to corner that coyote to play with your carbine, just find some free time and yell. We'll run to the range and make sure it works.

I have new toys you have not seen to.

I'll bet you're glad you snagged that thing when you did!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ground meat,mixed with Golden Marlin.....but lock up any critters you don't want to ingest that stuff!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Nope, this is a coyote, not a mouse, I need a real gun.

In all reality this one is a big dog. He needs a good killing and not just a sting in the butt.
    He is fast and sneeky. You do not know he is there until he is halfway gone already. In one of my past encounters with him he was there one instant and gone before I could get the gun up. The neighbor that saw this incident said the coyote never even slowed down. He simply grabbed the hen on the run and never looked back. Wings were still flapping when he hit the bush on the far side of the yard.

I have the 12ga by the door with #4 up first and 000 buck four shells deep behind the #4. Still I have little hope in catching him in the open. I am sure I will have to call him in and ambush him from a blind.
    I know this is an old thread but since I just joined, I thought I would share my opinion.
    The 22 will do just fine on a coyote, dog or anything where I live. My Dad once dropped a coyote with one shot at 75 yards on a dead run, with a 22.
    I've ended more large dogs, raccoons,opossums for killing my chickens with the lowly 22.
    Shot placement is key to humanely terminate anything. If you need a 12 GA for a coyote or dog, you shouldn't take the shot (IMHO).
    I prefer the 22 because its not as messy when you have to dispose of said vermin. also cheaper!
    Anyone that has dogs, please keep them up or on your own property! I don't enjoy your animals destroying my property.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but since I just joined, I thought I would share my opinion.
    The 22 will do just fine on a coyote, dog or anything where I live. My Dad once dropped a coyote with one shot at 75 yards on a dead run, with a 22.
    I've ended more large dogs, raccoons,opossums for killing my chickens with the lowly 22.
    Shot placement is key to humanely terminate anything. If you need a 12 GA for a coyote or dog, you shouldn't take the shot (IMHO).
    I prefer the 22 because its not as messy when you have to dispose of said vermin. also cheaper!
    Anyone that has dogs, please keep them up or on your own property! I don't enjoy your animals destroying my property.
    Thanks!
    .22 did in the neighbors pit bull who was trying to get through a 10' fence panel after our rat terrier. 1 shot directly behind his front leg. he did make it to the driveway of his owners rental place before he died. Called the police because I knew trouble was on its way and the neighbor showed up while I was on the phone with 911 and they have him recorded threatening to kill us once again. in the past 2 months it has been their 1) horses twice, 2) the dog twice, 3) a hog ( yes, I said hog) , and 4) a chicken( ) they never found the chicken.
    Last edited by nell67; 12-30-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
    All kids these days are being led in the opposite direction it seems. They have lost or are losing rapidly the older, proven values many of us grew up with. Merry Christmas to you friend!
    Not "all" kids. My kids just got new .22s for Christmas. Their gifts to me included a new belt and holster for my .357. My 12 year old daughter just made 4 loaves of bread today.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I had to remove two 10-12 yr. old boys from my property yesterday shooting .22's. I explained to the parents I was just about to use my rifle range they were behind. I felt like the Grinch of Christmas. But, the more I thought about it. What could I have done? Invited them to use my range? Not in this day and time, one accident and they'd own "Slippery Hollow". So, had they asked permission the answer would of had to still be NO! It is a shame....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Not "all" kids. My kids just got new .22s for Christmas. Their gifts to me included a new belt and holster for my .357. My 12 year old daughter just made 4 loaves of bread today.
    Your a good Mom! My boys got their Henry Mini Bolts two years ago for Christmas. They were 8 and 11 years old then.
    I made sure they understood how important firearm safety is.

This year they got stainless 10/22's for Christmas.

When my youngest one was 7 years old, he was the first one to shoot my 4' GP100 and when he gets old enough or I die it will go to him. He is as accurate as it am those at combat range.

One time we had a opossum get into the chicken pen. The vermin didn't stand a chance with my boys on guard with their Henry's.
    Last edited by turbodieseli4i6; 12-30-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: oops Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    my former neighbors pack of wiener dog mixes killed 30+ of my chickens in one night......
    did not eat them,just killed them and left them lay.
    I've been told by several people if a dog kills a chicken to use the chicken as a dog collar for a few days and it will never go after another one as long as it (the dog) lives

Oops... forgot a note.

People also say nail a tin/aluminum pie pan to a wooden post and any slight breeze will rattle it and scare off predators. But if you have deer in yard it might scare them off as well.