Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost another chicken

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Lost another chicken

Lost another hen. Coyotes.

The coyote came right into the yard in broad daylight and snatched the bird, then was gone before I could even grab the shotgun.

The birds will not be allowed to free range any more I fear.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That is sad,as free range is best,IMHO,but you have to do what you have to do.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

As a side note every hen in the pen laid an egg today.

I think they had a meeting and decided I have put the coyote on a slow layer.

Lay or die!

Produce or he gives you to the dogs!

I surly do wonder how the early settlers ever kept any birds alive at all?

Spent a lot of time with a gun over them,and a lot of well placed traps,I am sure,when you think about the number a varmints out there they had to contend with (fox,possum,raccoon,stray dogs,mink,weasels etc.) I don't think they got much sleep at night.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

You need a kid with a singleshot 22lr rifle. Tell the kid not to let anything get the chickens. It's probably not PC these days but that's the way it was done when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    You need a kid with a singleshot 22lr rifle. Tell the kid not to let anything get the chickens. It's probably not PC these days but that's the way it was done when I was a kid.
    Heheh, yes sir, every kid needs to learn some of that different stuff, the cooler things that most other peeps don't know. It's like to them having like a "thing" something important that is theirs to do and theirs alone. All kids these days are being led in the opposite direction it seems. They have lost or are losing rapidly the older, proven values many of us grew up with. Merry Christmas to you friend!
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

u have any guard dogs to watch over ur chickens

I feel your pain.....i've stopped letting mine out at all, or very rarely. I can't decide if it's hawks, buzards, bobcats or coyotes that takes them but I had to close down the buffet. I started with 40 chickens this spring, i'm down to around 9 hens and a rooster.

I'll bet that rooster is pushing the hens out to see if it's safe to go for a walk.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

That really sucks. Perhaps the Balfour method would be suitable. I kept chickens using this method, it works well. Basically, you have 3 runs. A security run, then off that 2 other runs. Those two you rotate and reseed with a quick growing grass or even better, green manure seed. Might be worth you investigating.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll bet that rooster is pushing the hens out to see if it's safe to go for a walk.

Did any of you look across the road, for your chickens?
    (Snicker, snicker)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Coyotes east of the Mississippi are a fairly recent phenomenon.
    Their range extended across the river only decades ago.

Funny I came across this tonite, around supper time I saw a couple chickens dash across the yard. I haven't let them out for a couple weeks so i'm confused how the door opened mysteriously. I'm not sure if any of ya'll have ever tried to herd chickens.......but I finally got them back in.

My rooster did a great job of herding the ladies back in after I threw some b.o.s.s in. The problem ones were 4 new banty hens They's city chickens and didn't know what to do outside a box. lol

Well Kyrat, if you would just sit on the roof with a good bolt action .22. you could kill that chicken eater

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well Kyrat, if you would just sit on the roof with a good bolt action .22. you could kill that chicken eater
    Nope, this is a coyote, not a mouse, I need a real gun.

In all reality this one is a big dog. He needs a good killing and not just a sting in the butt.

He is fast and sneeky. You do not know he is there until he is halfway gone already. In one of my past encounters with him he was there one instant and gone before I could get the gun up. The neighbor that saw this incident said the coyote never even slowed down. He simply grabbed the hen on the run and never looked back. Wings were still flapping when he hit the bush on the far side of the yard.

I have the 12ga by the door with #4 up first and 000 buck four shells deep behind the #4. Still I have little hope in catching him in the open. I am sure I will have to call him in and ambush him from a blind.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

In all reality this one is a big dog. He needs a good killing and not just a sting in the butt.

He is fast and sneeky. You do not know he is there until he is halfway gone already. In one of my past encounters with him he was there one instant and gone before I could get the gun up. The neighbor that saw this incident said the coyote never even slowed down. He simply grabbed the hen on the run and never looked back. Wings were still flapping when he hit the bush on the far side of the yard.

I have the 12ga by the door with #4 up first and 000 buck four shells deep behind the #4. Still I have little hope in catching him in the open. I am sure I will have to call him in and ambush him from a blind.
    I agree with...Kyrat! Make "Coyote burger" out of that hen-stealing, Dog-wanna-be! Although, I've seen big, grown cows go down from a single .22 round in the head. One guy I know put down a mean German Shepard with a single .22 short! However, blasting a predator into mince-meat with triple-ought sounds really cool to me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

well placed snares!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give that shotgun to a blind ole lady and get yourself a true marksmans rifle, a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Give that shotgun to a blind ole lady and get yourself a true marksmans rifle, a .22.

I'm not a marksman!

I'm a cold blooded killer of vermin.

I'd have a claymore set up in the woodline if I could get away with it!

Get a donkey?