Thread: This is outrageous! NY paper publishes the names and address of legal gun owners

Default This is outrageous! NY paper publishes the names and address of legal gun owners

http://amiglobalsecurity.com/breakin...-print-online/

a clear breach of privacy,and the legal gun owners in this area no longer have the element of surprise in case of a break in (assuming criminals read the paper...)
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

In Christiansburg Va....they did the same thing....Their was one woman who had to relocate because her stalker of a husband found her again because of the publication.

Glad to see these idiots are using their head.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

With a little luck the burglars will only hit houses that are not on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    With a little luck the burglars will only hit houses that are not on the list.
    Yea,or they have a map of houses to watch for the owners to leave,then they can steal those weapons in the home,PLUS the person who obtained this information now has ALL of those permit holders SS#'s,dates of birth,name,address,more than enough info to swipe their identities the only winners in this situation,are the criminals.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

To create the map, The Journal News submitted Freedom of Information requests for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. By state law, the information is public record.
    http://www.lohud.com/interactive/art...-neighborhood-
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

But what about privacy there?
    They should consider a legal step against this "attack".
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Well, if it's public information, it's not private. They wouldn't win in court.

It's not a very palatable fact but our country has fine tuned itself to favor the criminal, the greedy, the destructive. We are more attuned to guilt than to justice and we are more afraid of hurting one innocent in our imagination than we are of destroying multiple innocent lives in reality.

Don't be frustrated. If it's something you can't change, don't let it hinder you from making the changes you can make. If it's something you can change, get to work.

In this country, change still comes from the bottom - if it comes from the top, it's simply because we're letting it. Change in the United States is like evangelism; it happens one heart at a time. You cannot force people to think like you do, but you can show them a way that works and the smart ones are going to become interested and want to try it for themselves.

You have to cultivate a garden, otherwise it will turn out very much in ways you don't want. We have long ago decided to leave people alone and let them live their lives the way they want and since they don't have to care, they've become stupid and lazy. Until this last century, communities have always respected experienced, caring elders. They looked to them for folkways that would get them through hard times. I don't agree with much that Hillary Clinton says but one thing I will agree with emphatically - it takes a village to raise a child. In point of fact, it takes a village to raise a village.

But we don't even raise our own families, so we have harvested toxic weeds.

The answer is not to force anything but to influence. Build and cultivate relationships. Give people something they can value. Show people that a good life is possible and be willing to give them tools from yourself that will allow them to accomplish it. And don't repeat the sins of the past and shut out others because they "aren't like us."

Ashby's Law of Requisite Variety is a law of survival as much as it's a law of systems analysis. It states that any system must display at least as much variety as it's environment to survive. Diversity isn't just important; it's absolutely necessary for survival. Different kinds of people have different tools that can be used for the survival of a group. Different life experiences, world views, and mindsets provide different angles from which problems can be approached. My advise: embrace the world.

When the Bible talks about hating the world, it's not talking about other people; it's certainly not talking about God's creation. It's talking about the Darkness that has invaded that creation like a computer virus. I'm a gospel singer and I despise the "The world is not my home; I'm only passing through" mentality. The world may not be our final home but it's where you live now and, if you're only passing through, then you're not salvaging a damaged Creation for it's Creator. We're not just passer-throughs we have responsibilities and the mess the world's in is not due to the destructive work of bad people nearly as much as it is the negligence of good people.

What's happening now is an exponential curve. We've been going down very slowly for thousands of years but the downward slope has been steepening. It is now very steep and the fiscal cliff isn't the only cliff we hang on the side of. It only takes good people doing nothing to tip us over.

Take the Native American mantra to heart: All my relations.

Another aphorism: Cows complain; wolves sing.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Yea,or they have a map of houses to watch for the owners to leave,then they can steal those weapons in the home,PLUS the person who obtained this information now has ALL of those permit holders SS#'s,dates of birth,name,address,more than enough info to swipe their identities the only winners in this situation,are the criminals.
    Well, if they pass a new Federal Law, keeping this information private should be part of the deal.

Massachusetts passed a law making it against the law to publish the names of legal gun owners.
    What you guys are seeing now, we went through in 1998.

I do not and never will understand why the anti-gunners see publishing the list of law-abiding and legal gun owners as a good thing to do.
    A lawful gun owner has just as much right to privacy as any other American citizen. If any one of those on the list gets robbed or harrassed I'm sure it is totally possible to find a lawyer willing to take on the case.

If you haven't already done so, if your state does not have an anti-disclosure law, get on the phone right now, get on your computer right now, contact your state gun owners' organization, and get one rolling. Don't wait for someone else to do it. They need to find a sympathetic state congressman to fast-track the law. Get it done. Now. Don't whine about it when it happens.
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-25-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Massachusetts passed a law making it against the law to publish the names of legal gun owners.
    What you guys are seeing now, we went through in 1998.

I do not and never will understand why the anti-gunners see publishing the list of law-abiding and legal gun owners as a good thing to do.
    A lawful gun owner has just as much right to privacy as any other American citizen. If any one of those on the list gets robbed or harrassed I'm sure it is totally possible to find a lawyer willing to take on the case.

If you haven't already done so, if your state does not have an anti-disclosure law, get on the phone right now, get on your computer right now, contact your state gun owners' organization, and get one rolling. Don't wait for someone else to do it. They need to find a sympathetic state congressman to fast-track the law. Get it done. Now. Don't whine about it when it happens.
    I have already contacted the State police here in Indiana,they are after all who I paid money to to get my license,to find out if my and others personal information is safe,or if it is public informationf course I am still waiting to hear back from them....

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Everyone on here should check with their state licensing board.

What they did is legal, if the information is public records. Should they have done it, absolutely not. The homes that are not listed does not mean a weapon is not in the house. It just means a handgun is not registered to that location. There could be a shotgun or rifle there.

Fortunately not all states require permits to purchase hand guns. Neither FL or NH, where I split the year, requires a permit to purchase handguns.

Jim