Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do without Electricity?

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    who's serious? i try to be a smartarse whenever possible, don't mind me

as far as redundance goes, i've had that fail on me in the past. almost got me killed, but oh well, you can't win 'em all.
    that's why you pmcs your backups too.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

As I sit here reading these things I.m about readr to split a gut laughing.

Ever since I was knee high and Hilda hit Louisiana, I've grown up with hurricanes every couple of years, or so. It's hot because it's summer, so you open the blinds ans windows all through the house. There's a lot of light in moonlight once your eyes become acustomed to the darkness.
    We always have acouple of boxes of candles in the hall pantry.

Gas stoves can always be lit with a match. Check the owner's manual or send an email to the manufacturer.

Have an electric stove?? Thy burning scrap wood found in the neighborhood in your B-B-Q grill. You haven't lived till you burn busted up 2X4's in a $1000 gas grill that's out of gas just to heat up a can of syew.

Tell the kids that you're going camping in the back yard. Pitch the family tent. Make a camp fire and cook up all the food in the refridgerator and freezer, before it spoils, and call the neighbors over.

Every in here has studied survival to some degree. Just think survival and make the best of the situation. And and above all, HAVE FUN.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Are you saying I might have to survive? Where are the safety nets we pay for? I know we have the government to take care of us! Someone would just have to come out and take care of me! If they didn't, I'd sue.
    The American Government is here to rule you not to serve you.
    This is real life not high school civics.

This is not a democracy, it.s a representative government. And who do the represent?,...the 1%ers. The top 1 percent of the most wealthy and powerful individuals of this country, and they'er not all citizens sorry to say.
    The new government has already been chosen, and the election process is nothing more than a dog and pony show.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GVan View Post
    The American Government is here to rule you not to serve you.
    This is real life not high school civics.

This is not a democracy, it.s a representative government. And who do the represent?,...the 1%ers. The top 1 percent of the most wealthy and powerful individuals of this country, and they'er not all citizens sorry to say.
    The new government has already been chosen, and the election process is nothing more than a dog and pony show.

Amen brother!

This just in.....paranoia runs rampant....giant conspiracy includes aliens....department of defense run by sharks....

Not to point at any one individual but all of you because a LOT believe the same way...

How many of you that believe the government is a problem serve in some governmental capacity? School board, county board, etc. etc.? How many even bother to vote?

If you think it's a problem, then do something creative and change it from the inside. Can you really think that every politician that ever ran successfully for an office is part of the conspiracy?

The preceding was an unpaid, unpolitical announcement.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We're from the government, and we're here to help.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

This happened a few weeks back.

Have about 4 or 5 big flashlights, plenty of batteries. More candles than you can imagine, if safely placed will light up the house.

Few cords of wood in the yard, fireplace, and a grill.

Also have two propane tanks and two propane grills, actually one grill and one stove.

Water is not an issue as cooking and heat are not also.

BIG ISSUE:::::::::::

Food storage.

The freezer will get put on the generator, not constant but a few hours at a time. May need to get some gas in storage. The gen. has two outlets and the second outlet will be used for the fridge or the tv (for the news) or a radio.

Short term, we'll be okay. Long term, may need to make a few changes.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-guerilla View Post
    i would feel bad for the young'uns (4-12 yrs)
    they've always lived with electricity ( in north america )
    they don't know/care where it comes from - it's just there
    and the lost of something that stable, who knows what effect it would have on kids
    Psh, it won't kill them. Probably help them if anything. Teach them a thing or 2 about how electricity comes to your house, and why it may go out. I know for a fact that a 4 year old could easily grasp the concept of "generator --> power lines --> house." You could also spend more time with them, showing them a few survival things on the way. They will be very interested in it after the first day of "nothing to do."

At least I know I would be if I was that age (I'm in high school)
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

They could grasp the concept.....for about three minutes. At that age is not about understanding, it's about attention span. They'd forget it as quick as you explained it. Unless, of course, it's what time Sponge Bob comes on or Dora the Explorer. I'm a map, I'm a map, I'm a map. No swiping Swiper!

The fridge should be good for about 8 hours and the freezer about 10 hours if you don't fan the doors. Check your owners manual and see if the times are listed.

If the freezer is a chest type, then cover it with blankets to help insulate it. Just be sure and remove them when the power comes back on.

A full freezer will stay colder longer than an empty one. If your freezer is only part full, consider freezing tubs of water in advance (empty ice cream tubs are ideal).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My freezer died last summer. I must have caught it just after it happened. I did just as you said. Put blankets over it then went to sears. When they delivered the next day (20+hours later) the stuff was still frozen.

i have a well and a generator ^_^ planning on buying some solar panels sometime aswell.
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

i like putting water in my freezer to help keep everything frozen(can anyone say free ice) then it also acts as water storage two birds one stone

always be prepared-prepare all ways

kerosin lamps,
    white gas lamps,
    candles,
    solar power,
    wood stoves,
    re-charge batteries (with solar),
    a.s.o.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    They could grasp the concept.....for about three minutes. At that age is not about understanding, it's about attention span. They'd forget it as quick as you explained it. Unless, of course, it's what time Sponge Bob comes on or Dora the Explorer. I'm a map, I'm a map, I'm a map. No swiping Swiper!

The fridge should be good for about 8 hours and the freezer about 10 hours if you don't fan the doors. Check your owners manual and see if the times are listed.

If the freezer is a chest type, then cover it with blankets to help insulate it. Just be sure and remove them when the power comes back on.

A full freezer will stay colder longer than an empty one. If your freezer is only part full, consider freezing tubs of water in advance (empty ice cream tubs are ideal).
    I never thought about having the fridge full. That is a very smart idea though, they would steal the heat from to keep it cold. Water retains heat (or lack there of) much longer than regular air.

You don't give kids the credit they deserve. They can be very smart if you raise them to be. Most parents will limit the amount of TV they can watch to a suitable level, or at least make sure they don't watch it for 10 hours straight.

btw, it's "Swiper, no swiping!", not "no swiping, Swiper"
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

I would lose my tv, internet, phone and computer. Everything else would remain the same, well I would start eating and drinking anything that could spoil but that's no biggie.

It wouldn't be the first time ive went days with the power down and it won't be the last.

-JRJ

Well. I guess we see who watches the most Dora!

Your right. I've raised three kids and now I have four grandkids I get to mess up. I was a bit tongue in cheek in the earlier post. Kids remember what they want to remember and forget the rest if it's not convenient to remember. Sort of like you and me.

Hey, Stony!! Welcome to the forum. Why don't you scoot over to the Introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. Hobbies, outdoor stuff you do, whatever suits your fancy.

I know it seems intuitive but just in case......

Never use charcoal, gas, or propane heaters indoors (not even in the garage). It can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

If your hot water heater is insulated it should stay hot for three days if you use it sparingly. Remember, as you use hot water it is replaced by cold water from the intake line.

If the outage is extended, use a food thermometer to check refrigerated food before you use it. Throw away any food that has a temperature of more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Here's a link to a handy guide from the Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.org/static/file_...lang0_1352.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I know it seems intuitive but just in case......

Never use charcoal, gas, or propane heaters indoors (not even in the garage). It can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

If your hot water heater is insulated it should stay hot for three days if you use it sparingly. Remember, as you use hot water it is replaced by cold water from the intake line.

If the outage is extended, use a food thermometer to check refrigerated food before you use it. Throw away any food that has a temperature of more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Here's a link to a handy guide from the Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.org/static/file_...lang0_1352.pdf
    Also,if you are using a kerosene heater in your home/garage any enclosed space really,make sure you have it well ventilated,for the same reason Rick posted.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Also,if you are using a kerosene heater in your home/garage any enclosed space really,make sure you have it well ventilated,for the same reason Rick posted.
    Excellent point. Every year I see way too many news stories about people that have died in their homes just from using portable space heaters incorrectly.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel