Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snaring hogs

snares are dangerous because they dont classify except by size. Traps are not as portable but best when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    Any thoughts on a locking device to keep nooses from opening back up?
    Am going to get some cable today and work on a prototype.
    I realize I am coming late to the dance, but just found this post. If you have not found a decent cable lock this may help. Some time ago I read an article by the State of Texas Conservation Dept. about snaring hogs. Used was an 1/8" 1X19 cable and a 1 inch section of 1" angle iron for a lock. Center a 5/32 hole in each side of the iron, thread the cable thru so the open end of the V is toward the noose. This was said to be effective, but some of the largest hogs would still break off.

locking washer.jpgYou can buy or build a snare wire with a locking washer. It will only allow the snare to tighten, not loosen.

I know they snare em quite often in TX, just make sure you are legal in your area to do it. Some states hate pigs, but not enough to allow snaring.

I have seen youtube vids on it in the past. I'd check there for more 1 on 1 guidance.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

I picked up a dozen Ausable 3/32" snares on Amazon for $14.99. At that price it made more sense to me to buy them ready made than to make them myself. They should hold all but the largest boars. The really big boars aren't supposed to be good eating anyway. Too much testosterone makes the meat tough and funky tasting.

The guy on Dual Survival (Joe Teti) snared and killed a hog so it's definately possible. The purpose of the leg snare is to hold them in one place until you can put a bullet or arrow in them. Otherwise hogs running loose are very good at staying out of the crosshairs.

When I went to the Oklahoma Wildlife Expo the Game wardens were telling people to get them by any means. They are a very destructive and invasive species and the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation would like to see them completely gone from the state. I have also heard that Texas has a year round open season on hogs.
    Last edited by MaveRick; 07-05-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: sp

Yeah, if the hog had lived it would have been called Three Survival.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Read Ragnar Benson's book, SURVIVAL POACHING. he has illustrations of a "one way" device for snare loops, made out of small pcs of angle iron. For hogs, I'd hook it to about 200 lbs of drag log and let the critter exhaust itself, while creating an easily followed track.

I heard of a foot snare, that is said to be able to catch any hoofed animal,and fits in your hand.

Has anyone seen or heard of one?
    Last edited by George Barton; 07-18-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Once you have 10 posts you can place the information in your signature. Otherwise, it's considered spam.

Thanks for the information Rick.

I'm not sure why you changed your post from the fact that you invented one and wanting to know about posting the information to just a mundane question asking if anyone has heard of them. The former version of the post seemed a bit more straight forward and honest to me. (shrug)

Advised that my first post was considered spam, I thought it only proper to remove it.
    I replaced it with a question I thought would generate participation, and positive communication.

here's a foot snare that would probably work on hogs.

http://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BEARALD
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?