Thread: Fiberglass casting tape

Default Fiberglass casting tape

This may have already been posted elsewhere if it has I apologize. I have recently discovered a useful product for repairing various broken items such as pack frames, rifle stocks, walking sticks etc. it is a water activated fiberglass tape used to cast broken bones. It comes in a variety of colors and widths. It is self contained in foil package you only need to add water to activate. Has a working time of about 2 minutes. Cold water gives longest working time. You can wrap first and then saturate the with h2o to give longest working time. However humidity will start the activation. Adding splints of wood plastic or metal under the tape will aid in strengthening the repair. You do not need an RX to purchase. I get mine from Moore Medical 3M is probably the best but much more expensive than other brands. For practice I use the cheaper brands. But have some 3M to take into the field.

You mean this stuff?.... http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...ting-Tape.html

Is it water proof?....The new duct tape?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I used that stuff once. By the time my wife got home I had both hands and one leg setup like stone. It's not a pretty site when you're wife is walking toward you with a hammer.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

Not waterproof but water won't hurt it as it is the catylizing agent. Oh yes important safety tip you need rubber gloves, never forget the rubber gloves. I like dish gloves but my wife is always wondering where all of hers go.

We casted with that, even though it was greatly more expensive than plaster, because how can you tell somebody in AZ, in the summer, that they can't swim?
    I never thought to use it to fix other stuff.
    Good tip.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

Yes that is the stuff. Though to see if you like it get knock off brands first to play with. I have several things held together with it one of which is part of my foot stand that I use daily while shoeing horses. It's been on about 10 months and holding up well.
    Couple of tips for using it:
    1. Wear rubber gloves for the reason Rick mentioned. But as I generally carry dish gloves now while hunting it adds little to my existing loads.
    2. Have the surfaces to be taped cleaned and otherwise ready to be taped.
    3. Use the coldest water available ice of course excluded. Soak the foil packet containing the tape in the water whe preping the repair site.
    4. Before openig roll the foil package between palms to even out the chemicals which may have settled during storage.
    5. After it is applied you can continue to smooth it until it hardens.
    6. It can also be used in conjunction with other adhesives. Google up Hoof Casting to see various techniques. Can be use with Gorilla Glue.