Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mall shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I guess the whole world missed the 22 kids in China that were cut up last week by a knife wielding nut. No furor or press on that. Guess Chinese kids don't rate in this country. They must not sell ad space.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec...chool-20121214

Probably need to ban Chinese knives.
    What you might have missed is that there were NO FATALITIES among the 22. No one died in that particular incident.
    See, someone has to get ahold of you in order to stab you. Guns work differently which is why people like them so much including yours truly. However, being confronted by a lunatic wielding one, not even Jesse Owens would have much of a chance. That's pretty much what all the hullabaloo is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    What you might have missed is that there were NO FATALITIES among the 22. No one died in that particular incident.
    See, someone has to get ahold of you in order to stab you. Guns work differently which is why people like them so much including yours truly. However, being confronted by a lunatic wielding one, not even Jesse Owens would have much of a chance. That's pretty much what all the hullabaloo is all about.
    What you may have missed, is this part of that article.
    In 2010, nearly 20 children were killed and 50 wounded in a string of copycat incidents around central China. China has strict gun control laws, so knives are the weapon of choice in violent crimes.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    What you may have missed, is this part of that article.
    No I didn't. Which is why I said...now read it again, 2D...I said, no one died in that particular incident...the particular incident being what Rick was talking about...you know...the 22 kids just this past week? You with me?

We can split hairs, you 'n me, a l l d a y l o n g and nothing will change....the least of that being our opinions about this. People who you most need to convince ain't here. I am just part of the choir...the small part who realizes that doing something before we're forced to is better than doing nothing.

Personally, I don't believe guns or any other device that can be used to cause harm is the issue. I believe that we, as a society are. Back while many of us were growing up we didn't sit in front of the TV all day watching or playing video games. I believe that the realistic nature and extreme violence portrayed in many of today's video games are a contributor (obviously only part of the puzzle). In real life there are not "cheat codes" to help you win. There is no reset button where you get another life. IMO many are becoming so desensitized to death and destruction - and this is a contributor.

Another contributor IMO is that many of today's youth are taught that they can do no wrong. Their "boundaries" have been expanded to the point where they are unrecognizable, meaning there are none. When they venture into adulthood they find out that the world really does keep score, and your performance really does matter.

Another contributor IMO is that in today's society, and this is not limited to just youth, there is the expectation of instant results or gratification. Working hard and sacrificing to achieve something is sadly becoming less and less frequent.

I also believe that in general - humans are kind, caring and compassionate. Sure there are exceptions - there always have been. I feel strongly that it is the political class (regardless of party affiliation) that contributes to pitting people against people. They divide us, often for their own personal gain.

Those are just a few thoughts that have been lingering in my head while I try and wrap my mind around this senseless tragedy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No I didn't. Which is why I said...now read it again, 2D...I said, no one died in that particular incident...the particular incident being what Rick was talking about...you know...the 22 kids just this past week? You with me?

We can split hairs, you 'n me, a l l d a y l o n g and nothing will change....the least of that being our opinions about this. People who you most need to convince ain't here. I am just part of the choir...the small part who realizes that doing something before we're forced to is better than doing nothing.
    As I told a friend of mine, a few minutes ago....Maybe the Gov't needs to go batchit crazy, and just outlaw ALL guns, so the criminals can't get them. You know....like they did heroin...and crack.....and meth.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Personally, I don't believe guns or any other device that can be used to cause harm is the issue. I believe that we, as a society are. Back while many of us were growing up we didn't sit in front of the TV all day watching or playing video games. I believe that the realistic nature and extreme violence portrayed in many of today's video games are a contributor (obviously only part of the puzzle). In real life there are not "cheat codes" to help you win. There is no reset button where you get another life. IMO many are becoming so desensitized to death and destruction - and this is a contributor.

Another contributor IMO is that many of today's youth are taught that they can do no wrong. Their "boundaries" have been expanded to the point where they are unrecognizable, meaning there are none. When they venture into adulthood they find out that the world really does keep score, and your performance really does matter.

Another contributor IMO is that in today's society, and this is not limited to just youth, there is the expectation of instant results or gratification. Working hard and sacrificing to achieve something is sadly becoming less and less frequent.

I also believe that in general - humans are kind, caring and compassionate. Sure there are exceptions - there always have been. I feel strongly that it is the political class (regardless of party affiliation) that contributes to pitting people against people. They divide us, often for their own personal gain.

Those are just a few thoughts that have been lingering in my head while I try and wrap my mind around this senseless tragedy.
    I agree with all that you have said. The only thing I can think to add, is that I believe that the media is worse than/ does more damage than, the politicians.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

You guys are all way ahead of me here.
    First, we had this dead guyin New Jersey, posting on Facebook. We all thought the shooter killed himself, but there he was.
    There were a couple of others, but the kicker is:
    I saw multiple reports that the 223 was recovered from the madman's car, then, last night, the ME said all of the shots came from that weapon.
    Now, I quit watching when everybody started interviewing 6, 7 and 8 year olds about what happened, but I obviously missed something.
    Tragedy -> circus.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Insanity and irresponibility have never known any bounds. Here is a link to another school tragedy of even worse magnitude, and no guns were involved. Check the date, too.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103186662

S.M.

That's a good reference Seniorman and one I've used quite a bit. I'm hard pressed to understand how any gun restrictions would stop Ted Kazinsky, Tim McVeigh, Ted Bundy, The Green River Killer, Jeoffrey Dammer, John Wayne Gacy, the Anthrax Letter sender or any of the other serial killers that haven't used guns. Shoot, in Cologne, Germany some nut converted an insecticide sprayer into a flame thrower and killed a bunch of kids in a school.

If you look at the period 1994-2004 when the "assault" weapon (whatever that is) ban was on there were all sorts of gun related tragedies including the Columbine Massacre.

Does anyone remember Charles Whitman? You could have banned him to a single shot weapon and he would have still wrecked havoc. He used an M1 but one shot at a time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Personally, I don't believe guns or any other device that can be used to cause harm is the issue. I believe that we, as a society are.
    That's exactly what I've been saying for years, Crash, as you will remember from our other recent conversation.

Now, if we are to be honest with ourselves we have to admit that guns are part of the problem -- they're the method-of-choice in the majority of mass killings. Merely outlawing or restricting the availability of guns won't solve the problem, just slow things down a mite.

Folks, I've been monitoring the news (liberal, conservative, domestic and international) and some of the social media sites. To me, its beginning to look like the Connecticut tragedy might be the national tipping point on this issue, much like Kennedy's assassination was the tipping point that resulted in the Gun Control Act of 1968.

It is certain that, because of the Connecticut tragedy, things are going to change. The only uncertainty is what shape that change will take. As I see it we can either unite with the other constituent groups and work together to help design an effective solution or, by our actions and attitudes, be shut out of the process.

I don't look for anyone to agree, or disagree, with me. This is how I see things, and how I intend to behave over the next days, weeks and months.

Here's hoping that all of you, and all of your loved ones, stay healthy, safe and happy during this Holiday Season.

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 12-16-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Try to find 5.56 ammo right now. There is none to be had. Sportsman's Guide is the only place I've found it if you can stomach the price. One thing is for certain. Everyone is buying up everything they can lay their hands on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It is very hard to enter the bargaining when you are shut out of the room. The people who are in the position to 'do something' are not currently open to hearing the LAWFUL gun owners' side of anything. Our state gun owners' association has been waiting well over 1800 days into the term of our current state Governor to have a talk on the state gun laws. It is his office which refuses to sit down and talk. I don't think you will see anything different here.

I was in a local gun shop yesterday. All the ARs and high powers were gone; and this state already has a 10 round limit on magazine capacity. Who's to say those new purchases are going to be grandfathered. Face it, the only way the powers-that-be will see to "end the violence" will be to confiscate everything more modern than your muzzle-loader. To do less would still leave the possibility that a multi-shot firearm would be available to a potential mass murderer.
    It's going to get ugly. Especially since the more vocal gun owners have embraced the hot redneck pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-fingers persona put forth by the NRA. And the opposition has determined there is no use talking to them. It's too bad those millions of gun owners who don't join the NRA have no voice.

BTW, look to your knives.
    Boston, as well as other cities already have ordinances that it is illegal to carry a knife on your person with blades over a certain length. Boston happens to be a 3" blade. While there are exemptions for trades, we have to remind the new guys to put their leathermen in their locked tool box until they get to the worksite and before they leave the worksite. No sense in taking chances. Stores that sell knives within city limits have to have a permit to do so and are only allowed to sell to individuals over 18 years of age. Recently they tried to ban the sale of knives in the city altogether because of a murder committed with a larger than legal knife, but it didn't pass.
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-16-2012 at 08:15 PM.

We need to remember there are a lot of good gun owners out there, but it only takes one, two now three butt heads to make 4million good folks look bad. People look for a goat and the good gun owners will be just that...
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

WE know there are sane, law-abiding citizens out there with guns.
    Tell THEM.

My BIL was on Long Island a couple of weeks back helping to restore power. They were stopped one evening by LEO because one of the guys had a pocket knife clip exposed in his pocket. The LEOs (2 of them) removed the knives and informed all of them they were in violation and could be placed in jail over night. Even though these were used as work tools for stripping insulation. The LEOs let them go but told them not to show up down there with knives again or they would go to jail. Fortunately, no one found the handguns.

Sometimes What you may thinnk is legal really isn't.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...return-US.html

Unfortunately the government will probably begin a ban on guns just to be able to say, look what wer'e doing, we are stopping crime. Will it take guns out of the wrong hands, no, will it stop crime and murders, no!

I just turned on the TV, and missed this guy's name.
    Anyway, a Democrat Congressman from WV, endorsed by the NRA, said enough is enough. He says Diane Feinstein has had THE bill in hand, and he is throwing his support.
    Do you think they are gonna take my 22lr Mare's leg?
    This is going to go over BIG in AZ, where the Mexican cartels are better armed than the Natl Guard.
    Nighteyes, you are on the button. Now, does anyone want to take bets on cessession (sp)?
    I think that this state is already fed up; you might be surprised.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Here's a thought... Since we can't save everybody, let's save nobody.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Here's a thought... Since we can't save everybody, let's save nobody.

Fact is Ms.B that is exactly the premise our legal system is built on.

One is presumed innicent until proven guilty.

One can only be convicted with a perponderance of evidence, overwhelming evidence, or beyound reasonable doubt.

And it is better for a guilty man to go free than to convict an innocent man.

Deprivation of firearms is a penelty for commission of a felony, the fate of a criminal. Any restrictive law is the violation of due process since it applies criminal sanctions on an innicent individual.

There are innocent adults as well as innocent children and there are still a few of us unwiling to take the blame and be treated as a criminal, deprived of due process, for the acts of only a few.

We all know what is in the aschedule. The deviants, psycos and "domestic terrrists" will turn to explosives. Timothy McVeigh killed 168 and injured 800 using fertilizer and desil fuel. That is the standard protest method around the world at this time. The presence of firearms and their limited potential might have been what saved the remainder of the children in that Conecticut school. What if the killer had gotten loose in Lowes or Home Depot? The cost of his guns in fertilizer and gasoline would have produced an eminse device. He might have taken out everyone there.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?