Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammock?

I liked the ones from "Avatar." Not sure if Wal Mart carries those.

I'm looking at a couple, the ultra lite from Grand Trunk, and the Pronest from ENO. I'm leaning more towards the Pronest because I weight 230lbs and the ultralite only holds 250lbs.

I was about 245 when I last slept in my Grand Trunk. Im down to 230 now. But what I wanted you to know is, even at 245, the GT didnt bust a single stitch or complain. I slept like a new born baby....

Hehehe, I Love mine. It even helped fix my screwed up back. DominionStationHang.jpg I don't think I'll ever camp on the ground again.
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

I couldn't afford the nice hammocks,and didn't trust the cheap net ones,so I made mine.I purchased a 4x12' painters tarp from harbor freight,I then cut 3' off,making it 4'x9 '.I learned to roll and tie the hammock the proper way.This hammock cost me under ten dollars to make,it's lightweight canvas and works very well.I weigh 250 lbs and it holds me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    I couldn't afford the nice hammocks,and didn't trust the cheap net ones,so I made mine.I purchased a 4x12' painters tarp from harbor freight,I then cut 3' off,making it 4'x9 '.I learned to roll and tie the hammock the proper way.This hammock cost me under ten dollars to make,it's lightweight canvas and works very well.I weigh 250 lbs and it holds me fine.
    The canvas painters tarp? Got any pictures?

I will post pics when I break it out of storage.The tarps are white canvas,painters lay them on the floor while painting walls and ceilings mostly.They come in larger sizes,but the 4' wide is perfect for me,I'm pretty wide and it allows the sides to envelope Me,this helps conserve heat in the colder weather.I can also push the sides down around me for warmer temps.I often hang it from my porch supports and sleep outdoors even when I'm not camping

Canvas is good, if you don't have to carry it. Great for boats, and porches, and car camping.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

How does everyone stay warm in those things? I spent a weekend in a hammock in October and froze my A$$ off. 38-40ish degree nights with one of those 3 piece military sleeping systems with goretex bivey and sleeping pad. I never tried again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by point man View Post
    How does everyone stay warm in those things? I spent a weekend in a hammock in October and froze my A$$ off. 38-40ish degree nights with one of those 3 piece military sleeping systems with goretex bivey and sleeping pad. I never tried again.

Use an outer quilt.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Use an outer quilt.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Ahhh

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Canvas is good, if you don't have to carry it. Great for boats, and porches, and car camping.
    That's what I was thinking on the weight. The advantage of a hammock to me is a complete shelter in a light weight package and the ability to get me up out of the water when needed during the wet season.

[QUOTE=finallyME;429532]Canvas is good, if you don't have to carry it. Great for boats, and porches, and car camping.[/QUOTE
    Your not thinking light weight canvas,canvas used for hammocks weigh very little and the durability and strength is outstanding.My canvas painters hammock is pack friendly,and unnoticeable tied to a backpack.I find it both laughable and somewhat annoying when an idea is presented and opinions are tossed about freely without the opinionator fully knowing what is being presented.To question is one thing,to discredit the point of light weight is another.Any average thinking person knows there are lighter materials available,but for the persons wanting to step back a little and use an authentic style of material,there is an alternative,hence lightweight painters canvas.Strong,durable,easy on the budget,allows the feeling of nostalgia and is lightweight all rolled up in a easy to carry hammock,lightweight canvas is just the ticket.I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas,even though I tend to be more primitive in style,I do not belittle what someone likes and prefers over another!

Who discredited the point of lightweight? I use painters drop-cloths on a daily basis. Is that what you are talking about? I don't think of them as being all that light.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    Who discredited the point of lightweight? I use painters drop-cloths on a daily basis. Is that what you are talking about? I don't think of them as being all that light.
    Let's see ,canvas is good if you don't have to carry it,great for boats,porches and car camping!.......Pehaps the poster meant canvas is good,but embarrassing if you carry it.My point is and will be for the final time,for those tough,like it rough,and can't afford the super light,higher priced, nylon parachute with a bug screen and canopy,the alternative could be a lightweight canvas,which I find very non cumbersome and comfortable to carry.I still believe to each his own,and yes even you yourself threw your hat in the ring with your statement on the lightness.

Just because we disagree on something doesn't mean we discredit it.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by point man View Post

Like Crash said quilting the bottom helps, WOW you were cold in a military sleep system at 40 degrees, that system is rated for -10 below!!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    Let's see ,canvas is good if you don't have to carry it,great for boats,porches and car camping!.......Pehaps the poster meant canvas is good,but embarrassing if you carry it.My point is and will be for the final time,for those tough,like it rough,and can't afford the super light,higher priced, nylon parachute with a bug screen and canopy,the alternative could be a lightweight canvas,which I find very non cumbersome and comfortable to carry.I still believe to each his own,and yes even you yourself threw your hat in the ring with your statement on the lightness.
    Aren't you doing what you accused somebody else of doing? Take a look at the post again - what it said to me is that he thought it was too heavy for backpacking. There was nothing said that implied it was a bad idea (the discredit part), nor did he say it wasn't a good option for you.

Keep in mind too that you never said how you used it when you talked about it. Nobody knew whether it was for backpacking, canoeing, car camping etc.

Prove him wrong if you wish. Weigh your hammock set-up and post it. Some people are more sensitive to carrying weight than others. As an example - I have a hammock that weighs in at under 16 ounces. There are some that weigh in around 11 ounces and others that are in the multiple pound range.

Sometimes the written word on social forums comes across wrong to different individuals. Best to ask what is meant if you think that somebody may have been out of line.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Like Crash said quilting the bottom helps, WOW you were cold in a military sleep system at 40 degrees, that system is rated for -10 below!!!!
    Even the warmest of bags will leak cold when used inside the hammock. To stay warm, there needs to be an outside covering - one that the body is not compressing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default Hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Yes. I even froze my butt off in it in Afghanistan with all layers. The black inside the green inside the bivey. My real problem with the bag set is it's too small for me so I don't have room inside to allow for the benefits of the air gap. Since then I've purchased the cabelas Alaskan guide bag and it is the warmest bag I've slept in to date.