Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammock?

[QUOTE=crashdive123;429576]Aren't you doing what you accused somebody else of doing? Take a look at the post again - what it said to me is that he thought it was too heavy for backpacking. There was nothing said that implied it was a bad idea (the discredit part), nor did he say it wasn't a good option for you.

Keep in mind too that you never said how you used it when you talked about it. Nobody knew whether it was for backpacking, canoeing, car camping etc.

Prove him wrong if you wish. Weigh your hammock set-up and post it. Some people are more sensitive to carrying weight than others. As an example - I have a hammock that weighs in at under 16 ounces. There are some that weigh in around 11 ounces and others that are in the multiple pound range.

Sometimes the written word on social forums comes across wrong to different individuals. Best to ask what is meant if you think that somebody may have been out of line.[/QUOTE
    Along the same note,Pehaps if you read the post as I did,it says to me,canvas is not good unless you car camp,cover a boat or hang it on a porch.Not once did I insinuate the poster was wrong( though now I hope you see how even you took me to say such) my whole propose was to give options,I felt the option was belittled.I also admitted others are lighter,thats fine,I am 51 yrs old,I have no problem carrying a light weight canvas hammock,I also realize others may not be able to carry a plastic tarp,but remember light along with economical and homemade was my intention.With all that said,I may be on the wrong forum after all.I lean more to the primitive/self made as much as possible,Im not sure I'm a fit with the majority here.I meant only to help,this is a fine forum,just not for me,best wishes to everyone !

sorry to see you go, but at 51 years old I would think you have thicker skin and wouldn't let one disagreement run you off. Good luck in your search for the m.perfect forum
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

This forum is what you make of it. There are plenty here that prefer to venture out in a more primitive fashion, and those that do not. There are some that make just about all of their own gear, others that don't. Stay or go - it's certainly your call, but leaving over one post that you took offense to is hard to understand.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You've got to be kidding me? You took offense to that? You dreamed something up that wasn't even there. You might be 51 but you're acting live you're 5. Good luck where ever you end up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hmm to get back to topic, i use a hammock to. But without an underquilt it sucks. I froze my *** of. So my solution for cold nights would be, stick to the ground and make a fire.

_________
    Via Tapatalk
    CroPrepper YT Channel youtube.com/user/CroPrepper

I'm planning on getting a hammock, too. I've slept in one for nights at a time and they are quite comfy in my opinion.

Hi guys, I love hammocks and have been a hammock sleeper since I was about 20 yrs old. Now I am 54, still love 'em. I have two good hammocks. My favorite has always been the Hennessy A Sym Deluxe..with the tarp, mozzy net and snake skins. Had them for almost 4 years and the're still going strong. The second one is something like the Ticket to the Moon hammock, a simple hammock without tarp, which I can crumple to the size of a baseball (well maybe a bit bigger than that). I am always at home when sleeping on one. I like to sleep diagonally so that I sleep flat and not like a banana.
    Since I am on the Equator, the jungles here are rain forests and of equatorial climate. This means the humidity level is high and the climate is either hot and humid when it rains. When it rains , it pours. When its hot..its humid and hot. Water is very very essential.
    When I hike for a few nights, I will have to sleep in hammocks. The Hennessy is very protective due to the mozzy netting.

I'm relatively new to hammocks and started with an eno doublenest. Really like it but wanted to experiment. Ended making my own from ripstop nylon. 11ft single layer, played around with double layers so you can slide a thermarest in between for insulation (half inflated). That works quite well. Ended up with a few. For sleeping at home I have a 11 ft taffeta poly/nylon blend. Outside my nylon ripstop. I inserted some shock cord through the ends of a woobie blanket for an under quilt and made a bugnet. Now all my kids and friends are getting me to make stuff for them. Very comfortable. Sleeping on the ground is hard with my back.

I am lucky I am in Malaysia, you don't need sleeping bags or any thermal thing..just a shelter, the hammock and the live without mozzy net....the mozzies are huge here that u can shoot them them with a rifle...(joking)...its hot here and humid...so sleeping with just ur undies sometimes is best..but not recommened....hehehe

I've got some hammocks, cheap GrandTrunk and Walmart ones. I made a cocoon that wraps around it and blocks the wind and gives some insulation. But even with that it is too cold in winter temperatures or during heavy winds (both of which I've had to endure). You really do need a sophisticated setup with heavy insulation, padding, sleeping bags, etc., if you want to do cold temperature hammocking.

I don't sleep well in them, but man they are nice when you are out in the wilderness and you need to just take a load off. You lay back in that thing and its like a recliner in the woods. Much better than sitting on logs or soggy ground.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~