Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What can you fit in a wide mouth Nalgene Bottle

Default Stainless Nalgene Cups

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I recently bought the stainless steel cup that's made to slide over the base of the Nalgene Bottle and it doesn't take up much room. This cup is fairly large, has graduations on the inside, and you can use it to boil water in.
    Sarge, is this what you're talking about? Is there a certain brand that you prefer?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Thanks,
    Aurelius
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yep!

That's the one; picked one up off of e-bay with a brand new Nalgene bottle. Old WV Coot, if'n your watching, that's what they look like & only real men drink outta them.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Jeepers. I think you guys scared Cntryboy off. I have to tell you, I'm a bit puzzled why all the Nanny Nay Sayers. It's just a week-end outing. Unless he's in some inhospitable terrain, like ice fields or extreme mountains, let him go. If they get hungry or thirsty enough, they'll go home. If someone gets injured then a whole pack worth of gear won't help much. If it's severe you'll still call for help. How far can you get from the truck in a day?

So give them some advice and wish them luck.

Let someone reliable know EXACTLY where you will be and EXACTLY when you will return. It could mean the difference between a SAR mission that starts in hours and one that starts in days.

Carbon steel knife
    water treatment pills
    Compass
    Pealess whistle (Howler is good)
    space blanket
    two types of fire making (BIC, magnesium bar)
    petroleum soaked cotton balls in a 35mm film can.
    large garbage bag
    A small L.E.D. flashlight like a Photon
    A small fishing kit in a 35mm film can.
    Clif bar
    Wrap the Nalgene bottle with duct tape and paracord.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Rick; 03-16-2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added Letting someone know and Clif bar
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Jeepers. I think you guys scared Cntryboy off. I have to tell you, I'm a bit puzzled why all the Nanny Nay Sayers. It's just a week-end outing. Unless he's in some inhospitable terrain, like ice fields or extreme mountains, let him go. If they get hungry or thirsty enough, they'll go home. If someone gets injured then a whole pack worth of gear won't help much. If it's severe you'll still call for help. How far can you get from the truck in a day?

So give them some advice and wish them luck.
    Here's the deal, Rick; if you ask MY thoughts on something then that's what you're going to get. This is a Survival Forum not a Day-Care! I'm not encouraging ANYBODY to place their life in danger or that of their compadres...that's called "enabling" and I don't play that. I don't "sugar-coat it, I don't keep my mouth shut. If they don't like the response then they should delve deeper into the topic and find out why we feel the way that we do, after all, they came to us. Don't ask if you don't like the answer. Maybe it was just a week-end, but then where's the next level? Ok, rants over!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I agree with Sarge, Trying to push yourself in the bush with minimal gear is dangerous, If they ask our thought then we should answer truefully and hopefully that way we point out their mistakes if any better than if we where to sugar coat it
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

I just think a week-end it's too much of a deal. If they had said a week or had said 40 kilometers from the nearest house, much different story. But they can survive a couple of days without food and since they'll be near a stream, water shouldn't be a problem even if they have to drink it untreated. Life's lessons and all.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i have not been scared off! just a firm believer in that a man can learn alot from sitting back and watching! Rick, i certainly appreciate your attitude and response and i would have to agree. We are not venturing deep into the backwoods and will probably stay within a mile of camp. As for Sarge, i appreciate your informative response, i take your advise with much appreciation and in your latter response you make a good point, this is not a day-care and people should post and reply on this site justly. With this said, i am not a child, and i expect no one here is a child, i know my personal limits and the limits of anyone with limited gear. I would not purposefully put myself in any situation where i would be lacking in gear. As for letting a reliable source know our location, I would think for the seasoned reader, this is a no brainer, i dont even hunt behind my house without telling someone where i am going let alone go in the woods for a weekend. I know none of you and you dont know me but i would not post on this site if i was still earning badges in the boy-scouts. i appreciate the positive responses, i will read the negative and know all are entitled to thier opinion. As for medicine wolf, 1) i am in Virginia not the northwest 2) I am a former SAR guy as well, where do you work now? thanks guys!
    Last edited by cntrybo2; 03-16-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Here is a first draft list of what is going in the bottle thus far:
    fishing kit (this will be incorporated with nice long sapling as well as trot-line)
    6 snares
    2 powerbars
    waterproof headlamp (mini petzl)
    space blanket
    25' para cord
    lighter
    strike anywhere matches (heads dipped in wax to waterproof)

As for water, we are bringing a filter, we are challenging our skills not trying to get sick. we all know how to boil water, this is no challenge.

cntry - Actually, we do have boy scouts on here. We have a lot of ..... young men ....I won't call them boys on here. Sooooo. We normally turn a skeptical eye when folks want to venture off into the wilderness for survival. We had a couple that intended to spend three months in the Canadian winter with only knives. Grown men, by the way. I'm just a little less skeptical for a week-ender than the other folks.

You need to add a ziplock freezer bag or two. When you fill your bottle up with water, you need something to put the items in that you had in the bottle into. Also you might want to add something for signaling.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

good point with the signaling device. Also, i forgot to mention, i will have my leatherman as well, we are allowed either two knives or a multitool. Good call on the zip-loc, i didnt think of that!

You may want to add one (or a portion of one) of those cheap, thin, plastic painters tarps. They don't take up much room (if you don't carry a full sized one) and they weigh next to nothing. This will help if you need to water proof a shelter that you're building. Maybe a trash/lawn bag or cheap poncho too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What are you going to use if it rains? They have emergency ponchos that will fit in the bottle. Or you could use 3ml(or thicker) 50gal trash bags. Trash bags could be used for lots of things. You need to read through the "multi-use items" thread. There is lots of things in that thread to help you decide what you might want to put in it.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Alright C.B.!

You get points from me on the following:

1.) You didn't run with your tail between your legs, you showed you had guts & stayed!

2.) You ARE assimilating the data provided here.

3.) You're not afraid to drink out of a NALGENE bottle, despite all the rumors
    that doing so might cause Cancer!

4.) I hope you look further into that cup I mentioned earlier as it's a really
    cool piece of equipment!

You lose a couple of points, however, for "Dissing" the Boy Scouts! True, most Troops don't teach outdoorsy stuff properly, if at all; but ask Rick about the B.S.A. Troop he works with...Really cool! 'Nuff said!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I had suggested a large garbage bag. You can use it as a ground cover or as a rain poncho if you need it. I don't see anything for water treatment either. If you use the petroleum soaked cotton balls in the 35mm film can, you will have a rain proof fire starter and a lubricant if you get blisters or chapped lips. All nice multi-use items. Don't take chances on the water, though. You don't have anything to boil with so take some pills.

Also, do not forget a first aid kit.

Post #30 - looks like he's bringing a filter. Knows how to boil water but doesn't list anything to boil it in. Sarge's idea about the cup is a good one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Lest I forget...

Great choice on the matches & lighter. I would also take one of those Magnesium Bars with flint rod they sell at Wal-Mart for a Back-Up! Also a candle, if not two. I prefer the "Pink Lady" candles favored by Backpackers myself. Rick uses Tea candles and I've even heard of some who use Birthday candles. I didn't say anything earlier about a 1st aid kit like Mbarnatl did as I figured that was a given, but maybe not. One thing I've done is braid about 50' of 550 Parachute Cord into a belt and hang my knife from it. BTW, I'm planning on going into my own Survival Skills trek for a whole year with nothing more than the clothes on my back and what ever I can cram into a large Winnebago! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

A Snow Peak Mini Solo Cook Kit fits over the Nalgene bottle also. But is more expensive than an a $6 "Olicamp - Space Saver Cup" or $7 "GSI Outdoors Glacier Bottle Cup"

Thanks, crash. I totally missed the filter. That would be my first choice by mine won't fit in a Nalgene. Of course the filter straws will.

Sarge - We had a guy on here not too long ago that thought he would try something similar but he was using an Airstream trailer. Some folks don't care how many chances they take.