Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Th Bubba Nagant gets a scope

Default Th Bubba Nagant gets a scope

This is a 1917 Remington hex receiver, that was already Bubba-ized when I got it

Stock cut down and refinished, bolt bent, and barrel shortened, front sight changed.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Wanting to add glass, took the easy way and ordered up a Mosin Nagant scope kit from Sportsman Guide......
    http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...aspx?a=1040751

This wasn't as simple as the instructions said, as this older model had the older rear sight, narrower ear mounts, and smaller pin holes, than the later models.

The base in the kit had to be narrowed by a machinist, to fit.......But then fit pretty well.

Then it was a matter of driving out the pin on the sight, setting the mount in the groove, and replacing the pin.....Set screws included in the mount kit didn't fit the ear holes either, so just used the pin, as I didn't want to drill out the holes.......we will see how it works.

Then tighten up the leveling screws and done.......Still need to install the sling....

Last edited by hunter63; 12-10-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

H63, looks like a neat package to me. What is the length of the barrel? Will be intrested in your range report.

That looks like a fun project.

I was thinking about adding the bent bolt and a side mounted scope like the original. I've heard that you can soften the metal in the receiver, where you want to drill, by hold the tip of a red hot rod on the spot that you want to soften. Any truth in that?

Edit: the reason for that is, I'd like to keep my iron sights and add the scope.
    Last edited by rebel; 12-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.

"Can't say as this is a "no drill mount, just punch out the pin on the ramp sight .....and install the new mount....At least on the newer 91/30, M44, M38, M39's

This one was an Hex older and I had to mod the new mount........

Range will be a while yet.......did shoot pretty good2-3/4" @ 100 yds, milsup ammo with the open sights, so hoping it will tighten up a bit.

You always work that karoake machine into your pictures.
    Nice gun.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    That looks like a fun project.

I was thinking about adding the bent bolt and a side mounted scope like the original. I've heard that you can soften the metal in the receiver, where you want to drill, by hold the tip of a red hot rod on the spot that you want to soften. Any truth in that?

Edit: the reason for that is, I'd like to keep my iron sights and add the scope.

You do not have to do that Rebel, the MN receiver is not hardened. Order the rear mount scope kit from ATI.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/accessor...lt-handle.html

You get the mount and the bent handle that screws in place. It also has the drill bits and taps needed for the work. You could do it with a good hand drill but a drill press works better.

I have that setup on one of my MN rifles. Shoots into 1 1/2"@100

You will have to drill and tap two holes in the receiver and one hole in the bolt body for the mount. You will also need to lock everything down with good locktite. I used epoxey on mine. You would have to knock it off with a hammer after removing the screws. These rifles will shake a mount loose in a heartbeat if you do not lock and glue them down
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I put in an order. Thanks for he link.

I'm a big fan of the Mosins, and like the old VW Bugs of the past, suitable for makeovers, but imho the ATI bolt is horrible, and downright ugly. I would never butcher any MN with a ATI screwed on bent bolt ....saying that, here's the better solution

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosin-Nagant...-/250833575428

additionally, for my money the two best scope mounts on the market to date are.....

The Brass Stacker

http://brassstacker.com/scout-scope-mount/

and the Jmeck's

http://www.jmeckscopemounts.com/

Currenty, my 1929 Mosin Nagant Dragoon has the Brass Stacker Scout scope mount securing a BSA Edge 2-7x32mm pistol scope with UTG medium profile rings

http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?productID=317

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.p...us=&mtrack=12m

Next up will be the addition of a Timney trigger

https://timneytriggers.com/timneysto...ct_detail&p=50

and a Karsten adjustable cheek rest....

http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm
    Last edited by le Metis; 12-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.

le metis, Thanks for the sites, particular the trigger group.

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    H63, looks like a neat package to me. What is the length of the barrel? Will be intrested in your range report.
    Barrel length is 21" measured from end of the barrel to where the barrel enters into the receiver, and is about 1-1/2" longer that the M38 carbine.

I have no idea what kind of front site was put on in the past, but appears to be sweated or soldered on, and does show signs of wear and tear.

Hunter you have another inch of barrel screwed into the receiver. That would make it a 22" barrel amd if it is like mine the fireball is tremendous when you touch it off. They must use a really slow burning powder specially blended for that 29" military barrel.

I was shooting mine through the safety tubes at the local range and it was like setting off a flashbulb in your face when you shot through those dark tubes.

I'll bet the sight leaf on your rifle was marked in arshin if it was that old.

BTW; parts are in the mail as we speak.

Let us know how that recoil pad fits and how well it works.

I believe that is indead the way that sight is marked......i was looking for the two pins to knock out of the sight base....not there.
    They are on the other hex 91/30, and the round reciever 91/30, but not on this one.

Ya gotta love those fireballs,......smoke and fire! Arh, Arh Arh, More power!....from this and the other shorter barrels, M38, M44....especially at dusk....WOW....LOL
    Thanks again for the parts.

Hunter, have you already installed the scope mount?

If not I would recommend that you fill the hole in the mount with JB Weld, let it dry, clamp it into place and drill a hole the size of the pin you are using to hold it in using the holes in the sight block as a guide. That would keep it from having any shift when firing.

I found that on mine I liked the scope as far foreward as I could place it so the balnce point, which is right at the reciever rig on mine, was clear and made carrying easier.

The shortened rifle with the LER scope is really a handy and fast handling rig. This is the way hunting rifles were intended to be set up. I'll bet Adam had one like this in the Garden of Eden and lost it on the way out! Took us thousands of years and the prophacies of the beloved Cooper to figure it out again!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-10-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Hunter here is a M-44 with all the junk cut off the barrel and turned down smooth bolt handle. It has a drilled and tapped scope mount and drop in cheapo stock. It shoots really well and is a great four-wheeler gun.

PC070001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by redneckidokie View Post
    Hunter here is a M-44 with all the junk cut off the barrel and turned down smooth bolt handle. It has a drilled and tapped scope mount and drop in cheapo stock. It shoots really well and is a great four-wheeler gun.

PC070001.jpg
    Nice job, looks good....is that a screwed-on bolt handle?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Hunter, have you already installed the scope mount?

If not I would recommend that you fill the hole in the mount with JB Weld, let it dry, clamp it into place and drill a hole the size of the pin you are using to hold it in using the holes in the sight block as a guide. That would keep it from having any shift when firing.

I found that on mine I liked the scope as far forward as I could place it so the balance point, which is right at the receiver rig on mine, was clear and made carrying easier.

The shortened rifle with the LER scope is really a handy and fast handling rig. This is the way hunting rifles were intended to be set up. I'll bet Adam had one like this in the Garden of Eden and lost it on the way out! Took us thousands of years and the prophacies of the beloved Cooper to figure it out again!
    I hear ya on the JB weld, so yeah it's on there, but the rear elevation set screw hole, doesn't hit the sight mount block squarely, so I gonna take it back off, move the hole forward about 3/4 of an inch, re-drill and tap in another hole.

Want to get the whole rail mount level with the barrel, so as to not have to do too much of a major adjustment with the elevation on the scope it self.

Cool! How's the sight picture? If you had to choose a fixed zoom scope, what zoom would you feel is the best to go with?

I'm going to modify a mosin similar to that. I discovered you can remove the rear sight base and what's left is a dovetail mount underneath. I plan on getting a dovetail to picatinny rail adapter and mount a micro red dot (Primary arms) or a low profile LER pistol scope.

How much "zoom"? That depends on the enviroment you're huning in. In our neck of the woods with it's heavy woods, a 2-7, or 3-9 is more then enough scope for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by le Metis View Post
    How much "zoom"? That depends on the enviroment you're huning in. In our neck of the woods with it's heavy woods, a 2-7, or 3-9 is more then enough scope for hunting
    Sorry brain fart, magnification

Quote Originally Posted by Burncycle View Post
    Sorry brain fart, magnification
    My guess ----- 2-7. http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...imary%20Banner
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel