Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What event are you Prepping for?

Default What event are you Prepping for?

Being new to forums I have what I think is a legitimate question…..what are you Prepping for …by this I mean what specific event……on the EMP thread Kyratshooter bought up a point…recently we have already survived a Tsunami that killed over 250 thousand ….an earthquake that devastated Japan….two large hurricanes that hit major population areas….all of this with hardly any National effect…..So I am curious as to what event everyone is Prepping for…For myself I am Prepping for some type Apocalyptic event…..this would be a pandemic or an event that destroys the power grid……there are any number of events that would do this….HEMP. Madrid earthquake, Terrorist, Yellowstone Volcano, and of course nuclear war……I would like to know what everyone else thinks……..

The threats I prepare for are (this is not a ranking):

Weather related threats
    Terrorist related threats
    Drug/meth lab
    Economic downturn
    Regulatory overburden

That list keeps me prepared for a lot of "things" - fire, flood, civil unrest, food shortages, fuel shortages, and on, and on.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

4 seasons, in Appalachia.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Two things: Short term evacuation due to forest fire (that's about it for our natural disasters in my locale). Long term collapse of civility.

I personally have experienced hurricanes, both requiring evacuation and weathered in place, earthquakes (minor, but I wasn't right at the center), blizzards that caused traffic tieups for many miles stranding people in their cars, blackouts, and I was inside the World Trade Center when it was hit on 9/11/01. (63rd Floor South Tower for those who are curious.) I'm probably overlooking some events, as those are just front of the brain. I don't think I can predict what sort of disaster will come my way next, but most preparations are useful under multiple scenarios, so I try to be prepared, not be prepared for (fill in your favorite concern) while not worrying about other events.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The threats I prepare for are (this is not a ranking):

Weather related threats
    Terrorist related threats
    Drug/meth lab
    Economic downturn
    Regulatory overburden

That list keeps me prepared for a lot of "things" - fire, flood, civil unrest, food shortages, fuel shortages, and on, and on.
    In my town the list goes:

Crazy meth head breaking in your house
    Meth lab explosion
    Guy on bath salts that lives just down the road
    Then everything else on your list lol

FIY there really is a guy on bath salts that lives down the road but that is another story for another time...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Zombies!......

Seriously;
    Main concerns are family's personnel safety, and ability to "get by' .....basic: shelter, water, food, meds for:
    Fire (personnel property/area)
    Weather related concerns
    Economic concerns.
    Pandemics/health
    Civil Unrest/terrorist threat
    Long term climate changes

Personnel protection, ability to Bug in/bug out...including back up positions/ locations/armament/gear.....May be induced by any/all of the above.

Don't specifically plan for earth quake, flooding, EMP, asteroids, Yellow Stone eruption.....As if survival of an event this catastrophic, regular preparations would come into play.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    I personally have experienced hurricanes, both requiring evacuation and weathered in place, earthquakes (minor, but I wasn't right at the center), blizzards that caused traffic tieups for many miles stranding people in their cars, blackouts, and I was inside the World Trade Center when it was hit on 9/11/01. (63rd Floor South Tower for those who are curious.) I'm probably overlooking some events, as those are just front of the brain. I don't think I can predict what sort of disaster will come my way next, but most preparations are useful under multiple scenarios, so I try to be prepared, not be prepared for (fill in your favorite concern) while not worrying about other events.
    That's Morgan Stanley.
    You were lucky.

Contagion was on Showtime last night, one scary movie.

I do not prepare for a specific event. I would find that too limiting.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Wildfire evacuation is number one.
    Since AZ's grid is in better shape than most, grid failures that cause us to shut down until we can isolate (could be weeks).
    That nuclear reactor 135 miles from here.
    Getting snowed in for a week or better (it has happened here in my lifetime).
    BTW, these are not in order.

If something off the list happens, I go as long as I can go.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Old age.

Almost there and not even close to ready!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Retirement.

O.o

Hey, I'm dead serious!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Whatever may come.

I'm lost on your point about "we survived.... with hardly any national impact". Well, the events listed didn't happen here. The wildfires out west and hurricane sandy definitely had a national impact.

From what I've learned on this site there are really two things to prepare for, evacuating and staying put. The specifics of the events that lead to those aren't the defining characteristics of your prepping. Special considerations do need to be accounted for based on a few things.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    I'm lost on your point about "we survived.... with hardly any national impact". Well, the events listed didn't happen here. The wildfires out west and hurricane sandy definitely had a national impact.
    If you were in the middle of them they seemed like national events but believe me, if it had not been for the media coverage most of the nation would not have known they occurred. Might as well have been a thunderstorm in China for all the effect either event had 700-800 miles away.

I am not trying to make less of the tragedies in their own area. I had a tornado event in my own neighborhood in March and each event is important to every individual involved. Any event that disrupts lives and takes life is an important event, but it does not shake the whole nation.

That is one of the aspects of disasters in our nation. We are big enough to absorb an impact like Sandy, send help from unaffected areas, and get things rebuilt in a reasonable amount of time.

Having the gear and provisions to last until the help arrives is the basic motivation behind all prepping. The more you have the longer you can last before the cavalry arrives.

In some cases you get out ahead of the event, in some cases you have no warning. If you live in an area where the events have no warning time you better haver plenty of gear.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Default Well, since you asked...

Like Crash said. I don't sweat TEOTWAWKI, I think we're already there and most people haven't noticed it yet as it moves slowly. I can't say anymore or I'll be violating the "no politics" rule on this site. There are some things I can do something about, but long term ain't one of them. If that happens I'll just bunker in and let 'em come!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That's Morgan Stanley.
    You were lucky.
    Depends on how you look at it. I was unlucky to have been there at all, but lucky to get out unscathed.

I don't think you can predict what is going to happen next. I sure didn't predict somebody trying to run over me with a 757. You prepare for a wide assortment of events, and with a bit of luck the preparations you make carry you through the events that actually occur.

I am always preparing for a hurricane. Always. Many years experiences gives me enough confidence to properly prepare, then to make life comfortable afterwards (not just merely survive).

I hear ya Kyrat, I wasn't dismissing any of the recent insanity in the world. I just didn't see the point in the mention of the affect on our nation by any of them because of exactly your point.