Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tactical home defense gun?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL, Ya know I thought of that.....who can be afraid of a pink gun?.....
    We put one of the pink Taurus snub nose .38 in a Woman's Raffle at our DU Dinner event.....You should have seen tha guys buying tickets....never had that happen before.
    That comment reminded me of a scene in Tyler Perry's "Madea: Witness Protection." Madea is sitting in her car when suddenly a young, masked thug sat up from the driver's seat and demanded her money. He pointed a small handgun at her face. She made the comment, "that's a cute little gun, boy. now get out of my car." That was funny.

BTW, it was a cute little gun.

That shooting was in MN not WI. Byron Smith is charged with two counts second degree murder. Happened on Thanksgiving day. Google Byron Smith, teens shot.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Nowadays, the "Castle Doctrine" protects folks who protect themselves this way. They aren't even allowed to file a civil suit against the victim.
    Information like this is piss poor. My state does not have a castle doctrine in regards to shooting an intruder just cause they are an intruder. My state mandates that all avenues of escape must be unavailable before I use lethal force. So if my bedroom is on the first floor, I have to climb out the window or prove that I was unable to flee. The key to my state's law is something about making an informed decision, which is kind of difficult in the heat of the moment. The problem in the NY castle doctrine (which exists) is two fold; the way it is written and being a blue state (not to be political, just saying NY isn't the most gun friendly state). I don't know if it also protects against civil action.

Most of my friends actually think I'm a bit odd when I comment about my support about that young mother who shot the intruder through the door and the little boy who shot an intruder in defense of his sister. Even when not knowing what those individuals actually wanted (the problem my friends have), the way I see it, if they are uninvited and in your home and you have no idea what they want, you have the right to assume the worst(especially nowadays) and the right to shoot to kill.

As for the shotgun discussion, I know mine has a safety in thumbs reach of my hand on the trigger. I just need to get the gun checked out to make sure its safe for use (its about 30 yrs old)
    Last edited by JPGreco; 12-10-2012 at 07:35 PM.

That comment reminded me of a scene in Tyler Perry's "Madea: Witness Protection." Madea is sitting in her car when suddenly a young, masked thug sat up from the driver's seat and demanded her money. He pointed a small handgun at her face. She made the comment, "that's a cute little gun, boy. now get out of my car." That was funny.

BTW, it was a cute little gun.
    So while the perp is laughing, . . . you can resolve the situation in an appropriate manner. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Hunter63, I can't give you a specific document reference, but if you Google Wisconsin shootings it will probably come up. It was on my Charter.com news feed for several days.
    Thanks for the follow up.....I watch the news in WI as it relates to the CC law and Castle law as the just passed in the last year....and a lot of misinformation around.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Back to the O.P.....if you're trying to defend your home against cold winter drafts, I would suggest a good caulking gun. One can more than pay for itself, in saved heating cost.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Back to the O.P.....if you're trying to defend your home against cold winter drafts, I would suggest a good caulking gun. One can more than pay for itself, in saved heating cost.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Having recently sat on a murder trial jury I have rethought my choice of home defense weapons. I will go for the revolvers first. The victim in the case was shot in the hand first taking off his index and middle finger putting one hand out of action. He did manage to make it to his own unloaded automatic pistol but do to injury couldn't get into operation. With no children in our home I keep my revolver loaded and accessible and would be my go to weapon. Because I can operate it with either hand and malfunctions are resolved by pulling the trigger. Pump shot guns should probably have a pistol grip on the pump so you could rack the slide on your thigh or object. Semiauto shotguns could probably be charge by placing the bolt hanndle against a solid object. But neither are as one hand friendly as a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    Having recently sat on a murder trial jury I have rethought my choice of home defense weapons. I will go for the revolvers first. The victim in the case was shot in the hand first taking off his index and middle finger putting one hand out of action. He did manage to make it to his own unloaded automatic pistol but do to injury couldn't get into operation. With no children in our home I keep my revolver loaded and accessible and would be my go to weapon. Because I can operate it with either hand and malfunctions are resolved by pulling the trigger. Pump shot guns should probably have a pistol grip on the pump so you could rack the slide on your thigh or object. Semiauto shotguns could probably be charge by placing the bolt hanndle against a solid object. But neither are as one hand friendly as a revolver.
    I've rethought this too....however, my goto remains the shotgun. It's been modified with a small flash gun common to photograhpers. Looks a little weird. But, it's a tactical advantage that an intruder isn't expecting.

Nowadays, the "Castle Doctrine" protects folks who protect themselves this way. They aren't even allowed to file a civil suit against the victim.
    Hate to disillusion you (or anyone else), but the Castle Doctrine is only good in some states; it is not good in others. Please, folks, let us all refrain from giving "universal" advice, primarily because there is no such thing.

What works well in Texas (etc.) will get you convicted in other states. There is no substitute for knowing the laws -- and the courtroom tendencies -- that apply to your own home state.

I'm not really worried about it. No disrespect intended to you, though.
    You really ought to be worried about it.

Should it come down to it, your online comments can swim right up to you in the courtroom and take a big bite out of your, ah, defense. In courtroom terms, comments like yours speak to the key legal concept of "intent". An expressed & documented intent takes the matter out of the realm of "self-defense" and deposits it in the realm of "second-degree murder." A really crafty and ambitious assistant district attorney might even be able to ramp it up to first-degree murder. Do the words "in a world of sh*t" sound familiar to you?

You can rail, and shout, and "yes-but", and gnash your teeth to your heart's content. None of it will change the law of the land and how it can be applied to a specific case.

Ya see, we all need to really understand what "the law of the land" truly is, and how it commonly plays out in the courtroom.

Regards, and sincerest best wishes,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 12-14-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by le Metis View Post
    I've rethought this too....however, my goto remains the shotgun. It's been modified with a small flash gun common to photograhpers. Looks a little weird. But, it's a tactical advantage that an intruder isn't expecting.
    So perhaps you might put a revolver in your belt with a sg in hand and I should do the same thing. The best of both worlds. Providing we get the time to so arm ourselves. Reality is often far different and more dynamic than we ever imagine. In home invasion or criminal activity our assailent will have the upper hand. We begin at a grevious disadvantage. We go from peace to life and death. They go from murderous intent to murder. Ours is the great leap they are already committed to action. I grant that the 12ga sg is THE champion self defense weapon at close range just be prepared to operate it one handed or have a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
    So perhaps you might put a revolver in your belt with a sg in hand and I should do the same thing. The best of both worlds. Providing we get the time to so arm ourselves. Reality is often far different and more dynamic than we ever imagine. In home invasion or criminal activity our assailent will have the upper hand. We begin at a grevious disadvantage. We go from peace to life and death. They go from murderous intent to murder. Ours is the great leap they are already committed to action. I grant that the 12ga sg is THE champion self defense weapon at close range just be prepared to operate it one handed or have a back up.
    I suspect you're seeing the world from a suburban perspective. Here in rural Virgina, we know our neighbors and everyone here is armed, well armed. The majority of us our hunters, many of us with military training in their use. It's just not a very healthy enviroment for those with a criminal mindset to come poking about in the darkness of night. Our guns are always close by, and our dogs like fresh meat...

I always figured that if somebody tries to break into my house with us here, I will simply find a good defensive location, wait for them to break in, and then make the decision to either shoot them or wound them depending on how many and what they are packing. Well, at least that's the first plan and there can be many scenarios. I think if a victim shows a little caution and thought about whether to really kill somebody, and determine the real threat, they will most likely stay on the right side of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by le Metis View Post
    I suspect you're seeing the world from a suburban perspective. Here in rural Virgina, we know our neighbors and everyone here is armed, well armed. The majority of us our hunters, many of us with military training in their use. It's just not a very healthy enviroment for those with a criminal mindset to come poking about in the darkness of night. Our guns are always close by, and our dogs like fresh meat...
    Yea the case was in the city. Additionally it was premedited. It was also home invasion type the murder basically followed victim into the house through unlocked door. I to live in a rural environment and know my neighbors all of whom are reasonably sane. The dogs also are a big plus best security system needs no grid runs on a bag of ol'roy for the better part of a month though prefers squirrel and rabbit. That said my primary point is about being able to fight one handed and revolvers seem to be the best option in my thinking to date though I could be dissuaded. I concur that it would be best to arm your self find cover and let an assailent come to you providing there is time. The Vic in the above case had no time and was taken by total surprise. In my opinion his biggest mistake is that he didn't charge the assailent, sop for reaction to near ambush (they were only 5-7ft at the commencement of the firing)rather he ran thru the house towards his gun and took multiple his as he did so.