Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical home defense gun?

Default Tactical home defense gun?

I have heard if you have to be in the position to have to use deadly force to defend yourself or family its better to have a stock looking non tactical gun because if you have to go to court for it the jury gets to see what weapon was used. I think you would have a better chance of getting charges dropped or non existant if the gun is like an old wood stock shotgun or something. I think that prosecution would try and make a target on you if you had a for instance ak47 and a drum mag on it for home defense.

Anyone have any input on this?

Point well made, when it comes to litigation it may be a factor. Id rather grab an XD or Moss 500 than an AR. Something like an AR would in fact make a great defensive weapon, but it may be a bit in the overkill department and a lawyer somewhere will paint an ugly image in front of a jury.

Now, for MZBs, grab the AR first!

Theres something to be said for the distinctive sound of a pump action working that may be enough to cause an intruder to flee. I woulnt want to stick around and find out the details myself.

Andrew

I've not thought of it that way. An old wheel gun like a 44 SA might be the way to go.

I have a 3 shot 12 gage stevens pump from 1960 all stock with a shell holder and buck and slug not tactical I know but if it takes more then 3 shots I did something wrong lol.

In addition to the lovely sound of a pump action calling "stay and die, criminal", my vote would be for a shotgun on the grounds of safety to others in the house or nearby, particularly in a suburban area, as shot has the neighbor-saving habit of NOT punching through walls, where high-velocity rifle and pistol rounds in certain calibers, particularly if they aren't hollow points, could put innocent lives at risk. There is also the luxury of a wide selection of specialty rounds available, so if the intruder happens to just be some punk kid and not some hardened psychopath, you have the option of loading his backside full of rock salt instead of killing the poor guy. It was just such a choice that saved the life of my favorite highschool history teacher, though he did spend a few months in juviee for his trouble. According to him, rock salt REALLY gets the message across. Then of course, if you need to be EXTRA lethal, in the event of someone hell-bent on killing you, there are always slugs. For the versatility, the non-black-gun status, and the ability to not "shoot through schools", I support shotguns for home defense.

If you use your weapon in a legal manner there should be no charges, regardless of what the weapon looks like. If you use your weapon in an irresponsible, reckless or illegal manner you should face the consequences, regardless of what the weapon looks like.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A pistol you can trust to work....if needed....the 12 vs 6 argument reigns supreme.
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Shouldn't make a difference what your home protection looks like....If it's needed, it's needed.....that's all I need to know.
    Take care of the problem, now...discuss it later.
    Not real big on tactical stuff much, anyway.

But please, if you are gonna use something, make sure it's loaded and ready, but safely....Kids do visit this house.

My preferance is shotgun as well, don't need to aim in the dark as much.

"The sound of jacking a round in a pump will scare the bejesus out of a bad guy", as far as I'm concern is complete BS....Just means you really don't want to shoot and hope they will wet them selves and leave....Not a bad thing, but chancy....
    1) You will be one round down, no matter what.
    2) You will give away your position....safety pushed is much quieter.

Why not just a "freeze"?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

+1, on what crashdive123 said...
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

It depends. The over penetration of a rifle in a residential area would concern me. I also agree with Crash that the weapon should be, and likely would be, irrelevant from a criminal justice standpoint. On the other hand, if the assailant was also armed, I think I might want that rifle (or at the very least a semiauto shotgun, something with a faster rate of fire than a pump), if for instance I knew I would be a floor above (with all friendlies) and shooting downward towards the bad guys. If you had to pick one, I guess the shotgun would be it. I would be happiest with both though (and then some, to be honest).

As others have said, your biggest concern is not "tactical this" and "tactical that:" your biggest concern is if you were legally justified in shooting the criminal who broke into your home. It is imperative for each person to know the laws regarding self defense in his State. The laws regarding justified self defense in my State are meaningless to someone in another State. Check 'em out, boys and girls. Better now than later.

Also, although it is rarer today than in the past, you'll still sometimes run on to some brain-dead dunce who says, "If you shoot someone outside, don't worry, just drag his body in the house and tell the cops he broke in. Wink wink, har har har."

Do that, boys and girls, and you'll find yourself in the slam very quickly with some very, very serious charges being filed against you.

In a criminal investigation of a self defense situation, a "good shoot" is a "good shoot." If it is not in accordance with your State's laws, you've got yourself a problem.

Be certain of your laws.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 12-08-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

Relying on the sound of racking the slide to chamber a shell highlights one fatal flaw- it means you entered a potential gunfight with an unloaded gun. An unloaded gun (sans bayonet anyway) will fall somewhere between awkward club and useless paperweight in a fight.

Makes no sense... Once you rack a round, the weapon is NO LONGER unloaded and thus in ready mode... Your post makes no sense to me. I still say a 500 12ga or similar is the ultimate home defense gun (close quarters) and has an intimidation factor of 100%.

BTW, I am a firm believer that if the presentation of force is enough to cause the intruder to flee, then the weapon did its job regardless if a round was ever fired, or even if the trigger was ever fingered. (Like having a nuke, the other guy dont want to find out if you will actually press the button, having knowledge you have said weapon may be deterrent enough).

Remember, the objective is to BE SAFE, not necessarily by way of actually discharging a weapon into the aggressor.... Common sense dictates thats the last resort.

But do as you wish... Its your AK and your home, hope you can afford a really good lawyer when you are "sneaking up on the bad guy to get a good kill shot".

In closing, you will NEVER get past my dog to even hear the rack...

Andrew
    Last edited by ElevenBravo; 12-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcboom View Post
    I have heard if you have to be in the position to have to use deadly force to defend yourself or family its better to have a stock looking non tactical gun because if you have to go to court for it the jury gets to see what weapon was used. I think you would have a better chance of getting charges dropped or non existant if the gun is like an old wood stock shotgun or something. I think that prosecution would try and make a target on you if you had a for instance ak47 and a drum mag on it for home defense.

Anyone have any input on this?
    Use any gun you are comfortable with in any self-defense situation. If you have to shoot to save your life or the life of family, the last thing you wanna worry about is how the gun looks. Years ago, in Baton Rouge, a Japanese foreign exchange student walked up someone's drive way. This someone yelled at him to stop, several times. The student continued and was shot by the homeowner with his .50 Desert Eagle, which is an enormous, scary lookin' handgun. He was found not guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Relying on the sound of racking the slide to chamber a shell highlights one fatal flaw- it means you entered a potential gunfight with an unloaded gun. An unloaded gun (sans bayonet anyway) will fall somewhere between awkward club and useless paperweight in a fight.
    Incorrect. Once the slide is racked, the gun is loaded. That is plenty enough time before the fight actually starts, or even enough to scare the intruder away long before he sees you.

Assuming you have time to rack the slide on an unloaded shotgun...I think that was the point anyway.
    Very important to check your local laws.
    And the local gun climate. There are some states where the look of the gun you use could, and would, most definitely be used against you in court.
    Or the civil suit/wrongful death claims later.

thats true civil suit for wrongfull death would be the big issue. Look what happened to OJ found "not guilty" but had to pay millions and millions after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcboom View Post
    thats true civil suit for wrongfull death would be the big issue. Look what happened to OJ found "not guilty" but had to pay millions and millions after the fact.
    Not quite. While the verdict was for him to pay a large sum of money - he has not paid a cent. His money was well "protected".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

well he got sued for millions and millions lol. If it was me I wouldent have been able to afford the high price lawyers.

Nowadays, the "Castle Doctrine" protects folks who protect themselves this way. They aren't even allowed to file a civil suit against the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Nowadays, the "Castle Doctrine" protects folks who protect themselves this way. They aren't even allowed to file a civil suit against the victim.
    You need to know the laws in YOUR state......They just passed the castle law in WI last year, after the CCL......and these are not the sa,e laws in all states.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27