Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tested some ammo in the Cz .22 this week.

Default Tested some ammo in the Cz .22 this week.

Tested 8 makes & models of match ammo in my training rifle.

Thus far it likes FGMM 922a the best.

CZ 452 112yds FGMM 922A.jpg

10 shot, .58 moa @ 112 yds. This was typical of the 4 10 shot groups I shot.

Have about 4 more kinds of ammo to test before I call it final.
    sights were purposely set low; it;s easier to measure group size if it's in the white. It's really hard in the black.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I'm curious what sights/optics you were using. That's a very nice group in the picture!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It should be a nice group! There's $2,000+ in that rig with $900 ofit in the scope.

(from post #9 of the Training rifle/Covert rifle thread.)

Had I not been sponsored, it would be an, oh....
    Well:
    $350 barrel,
    $900 scope
    $120 stock
    $400 original rifle in stock form
    $150 rings & bases
    $300 in gunsmithing work.....

Thanks
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-08-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

What are ya sayin?

It's expensive but it aint got auto pilot.........
    Thanks,
    Tres

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

Jesus answered, 的 am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

CZ 452 Action, trigger
    Benchmark 2 groove choked, reverse tapered 26" Lilja match camber
    Dip products +20 moa dovetail to weaver base
    Burris Z rings, 30mm
    Voretex Viper PST, 6-25x50 MOA Illum. reticle, first focal plane scope
    Boy'ds (PINE!) Tacticool stock, pillar bedded (ugh)
    Sinclair Tactical bipod
    Action barrel in Ceracoke od green
    Stock: "stone" paint, brown, rattle can: Rustoelum
    'Pod: " " " " " " and Krylon "light woodland green"

Smithed by Predator Custom.

Here we go:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Thanks for letting me play show'n'tell.
    Thanks,
    Tres

Was shooting next to a guy at our local range.....he was shooting a .22-250 tournament rifle, didn't even look like a real rifle....
    Bull barrel scope with a long shade, for heat and defused light protection, in a shooting stand....he didn't even hold it, just lines it up and pulled the trigger from the side.

Was shooting a target about the size of a post card....and I was blasting away with the Ruger .44 mag carbine (Deer-slayer) at my paper plate.
    Bullet was so slow you heard a bang, than a "whap" @ 100 yds.

Went down to check targets.......He had one hole in the center of that postcard target.

I knew he had shot 5 shots.....so being a smartazz....I said....."Nice shot, what happened to the other 4 shots?"

Well, he kinda blustered and says, "I'll have you know that is a perfect .25, 5 shot group!"
    Figured I better keep my mouth shut.....

That story told...."How come those aren't all in the same hole?.........

Just kidding, everyone should have a rifle like that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Got one guy in the local club that has a reworked Winchester 52 bench rifle. It is mounted on a steel rail weighs more than 100 pounds and fires by solinoid.

Then there is the $100 club. No rifle allowed in competition that has more than $100 in gun and accessories. If you win the match the #2 shooter can buy your rifle for $100 if he wants too, just to keep it honest! Keeps everything dependent on the builder and shooter.

People puts their money where their priorities is, if they got it anyway.

I have shot the 10/22 racoon rifle at 100yds, but don't think I actually measured the group, not caring what a rifle will do at a range I will never use it. Winnie did pretty good at 100 when she was behind that rifle, even after a 25 year absence from the shooting sports. I'll have to settle in and see what a lowly old reworked Ruger will do at that range. I think I still have some of that good SK Match left over from the one hole @ 25 yards contest over on Rimfire Central.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

but don't think I actually measured the group, not caring what a rifle will do at a range I will never use it.
    Your just kinda coming off like my post jammed a hair up your donkey. ?

This rifle
    1. is for me to get ever better at shooting in the wind. For that I use it out to 3C.
    2. I use it to do shooting exhibitions with
    3. rim fire comps have the most fun factor and are the cheapest.

Ps- SK sux in every rimfire I have owned, Lapua ammo or not.
    Thanks,
    Tres

I may be wrong, but I believe he was talking about himself not your shooting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

40 odd years back I had a Martini Cadet .22RF target rifle that would group 5 rounds into 1/4" @ 25 yds...........and I thought THAT was pretty damn flash !!

but looking at that CZ rig, I can see where you're coming from

trouble with ME is; I've never been 'competitive'.......and so 'minnit-uv-pig'.....or 'deer'...or 'rabbit' suits me just fine .

I've got a number of CZ's or Brnos as they used to be...........damn good rifles, all of them !!

The one I use the most though is a '76 Mod2 that is kinda beat up and knocked about (not by ME, previous owner) but it still headshoots rabbits and foxes out to about 70 yards.

but, by hell , I surely do ADMIRE that CZ of yourn !!

and its got a man 'thinkin' !!
    "use enough gun......"

I love me some Martini's! Really cool rifles.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Thanks,
    Tres

I like the old Remy 40x rifles. They are one of the finest shooting rifles I have ever owned!

Old or new, 40x is a good one.
    Thanks,
    Tres

I just put a scope on my Savage Modle 12 bull barreled .223. I can't wait to dial it in and see what kind of group it wil shoot. From everything I have heard, the Savages are tack drivers
    Plus I just got a good deal on a SS Remington 30/06, and put a scope on it yeterday after I finished the Model 12. The Remy isn't a varmint gun but what the heck, it's a gun. The Remy has never been fired except for testing at the factory, and I got it for $350. I haven't looked up the price but I know I got it cheap! The guy I bought it from is in the middle of a divorce and wanted the money more than the rifle!

Last edited by Wildthang; 12-10-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Nice! However to eek all the accuracy out of the rifle put a scope on it that has at least the same value as the rilfe itself, this is a minimum!
    Keep us posted...
    Thanks,
    Tres

How much should I pay for the scope on the rifle I found on the side of the road?

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Nice! However to eek all the accuracy out of the rifle put a scope on it that has at least the same value as the rilfe itself, this is a minimum!
    Keep us posted...

yeah I know Tres, but I had that scope laying around and it has always held zero and had never drifted due to recoil. I just wanted to get it set up so I can shoot it! I put the Nikon 4X12 I had on my Savage 12 varmint rifle and the old Simmons was all I had left!

I was alway of the opinion that you had to pay big bucks for good glass......Not so much any more.....seems that unless you are goning to be shooting weekly or abuse your gear (this I do, do) a lot of the less expensive scopes have served me well for a lot of years.

So I don't concern my self with this any longer.

The 7mm mag has worn a 3X9 Tasco that I paid $20 buck for on clearence at the old Gander Mountain outlet store....(really miss that store) in 1988 is still holding zero after all these years and 5 or 6 states worth of hunting.
    Just my experiance.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I was alway of the opinion that you had to pay big bucks for good glass......Not so much any more.....seems that unless you are goning to be shooting weekly or abuse your gear (this I do, do) a lot of the less expensive scopes have served me well for a lot of years.

So I don't concern my self with this any longer.

The 7mm mag has worn a 3X9 Tasco that I paid $20 buck for on clearence at the old Gander Mountain outlet store....(really miss that store) in 1988 is still holding zero after all these years and 5 or 6 states worth of hunting.
    Just my experiance.....
    Yeah as cheap as Simmons scope are, that old scope dropped the first deer it seen dead in it's tracks, and zero has never drifted, so I figured I owed it another chance! I do like to mount high quality glass on my target rifles, but the new 06 will never be used for anything but deer so it doesn't need to be a minute of a gnats azz to do the job!

Glad it's going good for you. Cool man.
    Thanks,
    Tres