Thread: Fireplow - Help?

Thumbs up Fireplow - Help?

hi guys. i was wondering if sum1could tell me how to construct a fireplow and answer the following questions:

-what woods to use
    -how to carve indent into plow
    -how long to light fire
    -how hard to push
    -is it easier than other methods?

thanks guys, im excited to be here on the forums!

Instructional website
    http://www.primitive.org/fireplow.htm
    I think using magnifying glasses are the easiest method though, so long as you have a little sun. Magnifying glasses only take a few seconds to start something on fire.

hey thats a good idea thanks man. lol this may sound stupid but where would i find a magnifing glass in the us? Staples? The Dollar Store?

oh i have another question. I am nearsighted and use contacts, but i have an old pair of glasses that i used to use. would a lens from the pair of glasses work as well - if at all - as a magnifying glass? thanks dude

Glasses could work if there designed right. Try it with some dry tinder fungus, they grow on birch trees and will hold a coal for a really long time. You can buy magnifying glasses online if you can’t find them at Wal-Mart. Almost any magnifying glass will work but the more powerful the better. Some things the magnifying glass will start on fire and some things it will jest burn a hole straight through.
    http://www.action-electronics.com/magnifiershh.htm

Ya I tried my glasses lens but it didnt do anything. I think I would have to use farsighted glasses but unfortunetly im nearsighted lol

Exclamation woods to use

cedar works well as a beginner wood since its not easy and is about medium difficulty
    mule fat is the easyist wood i have make friction fires with
    don't use pine the resin puts out your fires, although ity is possible

other ones that work are
    alder, aspen, big leaf maple, box elder, bush mallow, california buckeye, coyote brush, desert willow, elderberry, freemont cottonwood, juniper, laurel sumac, rabbit brush, redwood, sagebrush, sycamore, willow, willow root, agave, ash, basswood, birch, dogwood, manzanita, sage, sassafras, slippery elm, non poisonus sumac, tamarack, tulip, wild grape

Blog Entries

Question Pine Resin

Quote Originally Posted by kid View Post
    cedar works well as a beginner wood since its not easy and is about medium difficulty
    mule fat is the easyist wood i have make friction fires with
    don't use pine the resin puts out your fires, although ity is possible

other ones that work are
    alder, aspen, big leaf maple, box elder, bush mallow, california buckeye, coyote brush, desert willow, elderberry, freemont cottonwood, juniper, laurel sumac, rabbit brush, redwood, sagebrush, sycamore, willow, willow root, agave, ash, basswood, birch, dogwood, manzanita, sage, sassafras, slippery elm, non poisonus sumac, tamarack, tulip, wild grape
    It's funny that you say that about pine resin as it's known to be highly flamible.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

it may be flamable but my survival teacher says it is a hinderance