Thread: Doesnt have to be expensive to be great Cold steel Kukri $16.00 Kukri

Default Doesnt have to be expensive to be great Cold steel Kukri $16.00 Kukri

When I baught it I thought hey I said to my self mabe it will last a few trips for $16.00 bucks. Well it arived and the blade sharpness was the worst I have ever seen. I heard alot of people were taking theres and sharpening them and they turned out ok. So I did the same with a belt sander and a corse stone to thin the edge and bring it about half an inch back on the whole blade. Then I put a secondary edge on it and it is very very sharp. The thing I have learned is that after you do this you have a knife that will go through a 2 inch branch in one swing if you hit it at the correct angle. I understand now the danger path of a sharp kukri as you can go right through what your trying to take out and carry through into your leg. I did not cut myself yet but come close.

For $16.00 I suggest picking one up if you live anywhere with smallish branches or vines. I live in florida its awesome with Brazilian-pepper tree's clears them out quick for the fire pile.

I love almost all cold steel products and I own several machetes from them. I agree, the kukri machete was disappointingly dull, and I as well was able to touch it up witch a fine grit belt sander. I would never let my cold steel knives hit a belt sander, but my machetes are a different story. Overall make a great machete and it holds up well to the rigors of the Alaskan underbrush.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Same goes to my CS kukri edge. I had to work 1h to make it nice and sharp. All in all good product.

If one knows what to look for, a great utility blade doesn't have to cost a lot. As I've mentioned before, my "go-to" no-name 10-inch bush knife set me back less than $20 back in the late 1980's, and I didn't even have to work hard to get it, or keep it, razor-sharp. By teaming it with a Swiss Army Super-Tinker and a very-small set of Channel-Lock pliers that I keep in my canteen cover (with a stainless canteen, canteen cup, canteen cup stove, some large coffee filters and a couple of oversized rubber bands), I'm all set.

I agree, I'm very happy with my 10" Condor Speed bowie. I paid for it $25.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Only problem I have is that so many good low cost knives have accumilated I could have bought a really nice knife and eliminated the search!

I probably have $200 worth of machettes floating around this place and another $1,000 in Moras and junk from Smokey Mountain Knife Works!

Now Kennisaw Kutlery has my address!

My advice, based on 60 years of knife addiction:

Buy your CS Kruki and a Mora, then order the Randall of your choice. Force yourself NOT to buy any more knives for the next five years while waiting for the Randall waiting list to get to your turn. Evey time you see a knife you want just put the money in the cookie jar. In five years you will have the Randall paid for!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I would rather make my own knife chances are it wont be pretty but it will work great lol. The kukri has been wonderfull its one of those things I am thinking would make great stocking stuffers. It was my first kukri and I was questioning the curved blade but once you get it sharp as a kitchen knife it will do amazing things. I can cut through 1- 1 1/2 inch live branches with one swing at a 45 degree angle very easy. I have cleared about half my back yard out of pepper trees so far just to see if I can. I also took out a 8 inch around tree with it as well it took about 20 mins but it went through it with no problem.