Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emp??????

HEMP! ??? Well, Colorado must be under attack already!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by kennethdnunn View Post
    If I read my history right the Government didn't put a high probability on Pearl Harbor attach either....for that matter the probability of levies in New Orleans giving way...
    or Iran building Nuclear weapons....for that matter didn't they also say North Korea wasn't developing a nuclear weapon....I for would surly don't put much faith in what the Government says or don't say....when there is another World war I think HEMP will be the opening salvo...with the the Administration we now have in office I think there would be enough hesitation in retaliating that a first strike HEMP would cripple the U.S. Military. The Defense has stated that with electric power the military is dead in the water........I would bet the farm on the fact that the new China aircraft carrier and their air craft are EMP protected....my moto is prepare for the worse and anything less you can handle......
    Governments lie. Then we believe the lies. Everyone in the government, and anyone with their eyes open, knew that we would be pulled into WW2. Surprise attack my sweet bippy!

Third world nations have had nukes for 50 years, starting with India and Packastain in the 1960s! The real shock is that it has taken Iran and Korea so long to attain them.

Absolute certainty needs no probability rating.

There are some things you can properly prepare for, some things you can't. One must ration one's efforts and get the most for the time/money accessable. In preparing for one "event" one often covers the piossibility of another dissimilar "event". Part of that effort is approaching each possible tragedy, prioritizing that event and applying an appropriate effort to that possibility.

EMP is one of those topics that seems to make people irrational. With all the rational fears that come at us daily do we really need an irational fear domiating our thought process? A fear tht is beyond the range of prediction, unattainable at this point in technological history and most often discussed by late night talk show hosts?

One of the precepts of modern thought is that one can not uninvent technology. Once the ability/knowledge has been achieved it is available from that point. A widespread EMP would require the pressing of countless "reset buttons" but it would not throw the world into the stone ages permenently, if it were a possibiliy.

My preps are there so I can wait for the buttons to be pushed, however long it requires. Or the tornado to go past, or the ice storm to melt into a memory, or the flood waters to subside.

There may be a boogieman, or a susquatch, or a Hootnanny out there waiting for me, but my preperations are for things I can actually do something about. If it takes a year I am in good shape, if it takes longer my meds will run out and the neighbors will harvest next years garden.

The one thing I really like about discussing EMP is that IF I am wrong, and a massive EMP burst takes out all the electronics in the world out, I will not have to listen to any "I told you so!" posts on the internet. Not for a year or so anyway.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    A "Faraday Cage" will protect electronic equipment from an EMP burst!
    Would a small weather radio, wrapped in aluminum foil be considered to be in a Faraday cage? Does the cage material have to be solid? I've heard that a chicken wire cage is sufficient, but I certainly have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta 5168 View Post
    Would a small weather radio, wrapped in aluminum foil be considered to be in a Faraday cage? Does the cage material have to be solid? I've heard that a chicken wire cage is sufficient, but I certainly have my doubts.
    If you download and read the ORNL reports I linked, you will have your answer.
    Facts and logic hold no value over BS and youtube prophets when it comes to this subject. American, Russian, Chinese, English, French, etc military's have studied the subject in depth. Three of those have empirical/physical evidence of results. My advice to you is to read and educate yourself. The Meta files from oak ridge national labs (linked in the earlier post) is a real good place to start. Relying on the youtube prophets, and general internet buffoonery is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta 5168 View Post
    HEMP! ??? Well, Colorado must be under attack already!
    I don't know about anyone else but for the last few years I sure get the feeling that we are under attack.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Governments lie. Then we believe the lies. Everyone in the government, and anyone with their eyes open, knew that we would be pulled into WW2. Surprise attack my sweet bippy!

Third world nations have had nukes for 50 years, starting with India and Packastain in the 1960s! The real shock is that it has taken Iran and Korea so long to attain them.

Absolute certainty needs no probability rating.

There are some things you can properly prepare for, some things you can't. One must ration one's efforts and get the most for the time/money accessable. In preparing for one "event" one often covers the piossibility of another dissimilar "event". Part of that effort is approaching each possible tragedy, prioritizing that event and applying an appropriate effort to that possibility.

EMP is one of those topics that seems to make people irrational. With all the rational fears that come at us daily do we really need an irational fear domiating our thought process? A fear tht is beyond the range of prediction, unattainable at this point in technological history and most often discussed by late night talk show hosts?

One of the precepts of modern thought is that one can not uninvent technology. Once the ability/knowledge has been achieved it is available from that point. A widespread EMP would require the pressing of countless "reset buttons" but it would not throw the world into the stone ages permenently, if it were a possibiliy.

My preps are there so I can wait for the buttons to be pushed, however long it requires. Or the tornado to go past, or the ice storm to melt into a memory, or the flood waters to subside.

There may be a boogieman, or a susquatch, or a Hootnanny out there waiting for me, but my preperations are for things I can actually do something about. If it takes a year I am in good shape, if it takes longer my meds will run out and the neighbors will harvest next years garden.

The one thing I really like about discussing EMP is that IF I am wrong, and a massive EMP burst takes out all the electronics in the world out, I will not have to listen to any "I told you so!" posts on the internet. Not for a year or so anyway.
    Some of your points I agree with ....however you seem to have a higher opinion of today's citizenry and Government than I do…..I believe that if there is a National catastrophic event, that knocks out the power grid, that last two weeks or more there will be no coming back to a world as we know it. Do you realize how many people in the U.S. will die if there is no electric for two weeks?.......that means with no police, Katrina proved this, hospitals will cease to function thousands will die. Just think of the number of folks on life support….. No water, no toilet, that may work for a while in a small town but imagine the results in the thousands of high rise apartments in places like New York Chicago, L.A and etc.....With no communications, which means no police or firemen there will be anarchy in the larger populated areas almost instantly..... Just think of the thousands of people that will be stranded will traveling....what will they do?..... Am I being overly dramatic? I don’t think so shouldn't we consider the worse case scenario? Do you buy home owners insurance for only a small fire, health insurance for a minor operation, or auto insurance only for a fender bender? The Government issues warning quite often about possible events but the public ignores these warnings.....there are millions maybe billions spent in building evacuation points for Government officals…..whose goal, by the way, is in the event the U.S. suffers a National catastrophic event , is not to protect and help the Citizens but to protect the Government.
    I know this is a little long winded but a couple quotes pretty well says it all… As Wayne D. LeBaron stated in his book The Reluctant Survivors:

“In almost all planning and disaster scenarios the assumption is made that physicians, nurses, and other medical professionals who are not killed or injured would go forth immediately and begin caring for the wounded. This implies that they will be immune to psychological shock that other survivors would be suffering. They would valiantly set forth despite high radiation levels, forgetting their concern for family and friends and work totally without regard for self. Isn't it more logical to believe that they, being human like the rest, would seek shelter and family?”

“Be mindful of the future but not at the expense of the moment”

National Academy of Sciences

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, you are being over dramatic. Have you proposed anything that is going to save life as we know it on a national or personal scale from a world wide EMP event? Not a thing I have read yet ca do that.

EMP is smply a diversion from real prepping that would do some good.

Look at your own reflections. It does not take an EMP to knock out power for 2 weeks, only a normal natural disaster, like Hurricane Sandy. If you are prepared for those disaster types you are prepared for EMP as well as anyone could be prepared. After all, TEOTWAWKI is the same no matter what the cause.

Any disaster that knocks out the grid for 2 weeks will do the trick. One reason I live in the country and have nonelectric support systems and all the other prepper type stuff.

Yes, in natural disasters people die. Sometimes large numbers of people. In Mexico City they lost more than 100 SAR workers, they are still counting the dead in Japan, 250,000 dead in the Indian Ocean Tsunami. There have been disasters in Asia that killed millions and the world has recovered. It does not take EMP to cause regional panic.

The prior existance and recording of the knowledge insures that civilization would be rebuilt. The extent of the disaster would detirmine the time schedule of the rebuild.

And yes, the medical profession is expected to respond to a higher degree than the rest of the citizens. I was married to one for years, and in that time she was locked inside the hospital for days at a time during emergencies and called to the hospital in the middle of the night many times, not knowing when she woud be able to return. That is what they do!

We have this EMP discussion about once each 6 months as I stated previously. It is almost always preempted by a tornado, flood, tsunami, gas pipeline explosion or some other disaster that needs immidiate attention and has actually happened.

Has anyone found a link where we can get those freekin' pendants yet?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-09-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Yes, you are being over dramatic.

Look at your own reflections. It does not take an EMP to knock out power for 2 weeks, only a normal natural disaster, like Hurricane Sandy. If you are prepared for those disaster types you are prepared for EMP as well as anyone could be prepared. After all, TEOTWAWKI is the same no matter what the cause.

Any disaster that knocks out the grid for 2 weeks will do the trick.

Yes, in natural disasters people die. Sometimes large numbers of people. In Mexico City they lost more than 100 SAR workers, they are still counting the dead in Japan, 250,000 dead in the Indian Ocean Tsunami. There have been disasters in Asia that killed millions and the world has recovered. It does not take EMP to cause regional panic.

The prior existance and recording of the knowledge insures that civilization would be rebuilt. The extent of the disaster would detirmine the time schedule of the rebuild.

And yes, the medical profession is expected to respond to a higher degree than the rest of the citizens. I was married to one for years, and in that time she was locked inside the hospital for days at a time during emergencies and called to the hospital in the middle of the night many times, not knowing when she woud be able to return. That is what they do!

We have this EMP discussion about once each 6 months as I stated previously. It is almost always preempted by a tornado, flood, tsunami, gas pipeline explosion or some other disaster that needs immidiate attention and has actually happened.

Has anyone found link where we can get those freekin' pendants yet?
    I think were we differ is I am looking at a nation wide event where you are looking at local disaster....they have been events in the past that if they happen to day will may these local disaster seem trivial....they have happen before are we so vane as a people to think they will not happen again....meaning no insult, I am curious as to why you are peppering if not for such an event...any local disaster would actually be easy to handle.....I mean most of the households in the U.S. would have plenty of supplies in the pantry to last a week or two....,maybe with the exception of water....,