Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made my first survival bracelet....

Default Made my first survival bracelet....

I'd seen a few people around and even couple of my friends have them but I hadn't even bothered to get one. Actually, I'm a little glad I didn't. After seeing a friend of mine unravel his I decided to make one. Turned out I don't like paracord, to much stretch to it, it's something like 30% at near full load. Anyway, I ended up picking up some marine cord. Great stuff, rated for up to 2300 lbs and only a 0.7% stretch at 20% load. So onto the pictures.

I only got 16' 10" on it but it's pretty good for my first shot. I'm going to try my hand at making a modified 6 strand version of it this weekend to see just how much cordage I get on my wrist.

100_1203.jpg100_1202.jpg100_1201.jpg

It's got a 1 foot outer diameter which is as close to it's actual length as I can measure because while it does come open easily I don't feel like it. I can just barely get it over my hand and onto my wrist. I used a WLL 660lb quick link as the connector because I couldn't find a keyhole or 'U' bar that I liked. I gotta look a little farther from home I guess.
    Last edited by Knight of Disorder; 12-04-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Grammar

Looks good to me, intresting use of material.....

I never really gave paracord a thought until I started hanging around these guys/gals......mostly used nylon cord (Borrowed from work, and free), or plain old rope, for dragging deer, and hauling bow/gun into a tree, or making a teather on a canoe paddle, decoy cords etc.

I do like the idea of being able to break down paracord into seperat strands...and have done some repair sewing with it.

You might just start a new trend?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I understand that the breaking limit on it might be a little high for what I will be using it for but it's 12 strand braided so I can break it down into smaller parts as well. More then you get with paracord, actually if it came sheathed then it would be even better but I like it. Wear it all day as it is. I thought about using some plain old nylon cord but it all broke to easily. I know this won't break me when I'm climbing up a tree to secure my bed netting, or hauling my pack and everything else up to keep the animals out.

Is that polypro? Make sure you know how to tie knots in it. It ain't the same as tying knots in nylon or polyester.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

It's actually dyneema, which is basically really heavy duty polyethylene. Which is used to replace steel cables because it's more strength-to-weight efficient. It knots just like paracord, and pulls apart a lot easier when you need it. What it is and it's uses, are from wikipedia and the clerk at West Marine.

We used to use polypropylene as the "core" for a lot of different types of wire rope.....was very stretchy.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Turns out I don't have enough cordage to do the six strand I wanted. I'm going to see about a four strand, might even make a belt when I have the money to get more cord.

Looks like it would rip your hand off if it got caught in/on something. I wear a watch but the band will come off it it is snagged. I carry cordage in my truck, pack, and/or pocket and have it when needed.

I have seen several men with these on, looks like a fashion statement to me
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Since my wife had emergency heart surgery, I have been looking for a pink paracord with a medical ID tag on it. Can't find one cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Since my wife had emergency heart surgery, I have been looking for a pink paracord with a medical ID tag on it. Can't find one cheap enough.
    They are pretty simple to make - make your own.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can get 15' of pink paracord at walmart for something like $3, then you just make it yourself. As for the medical ID, I would have no idea on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    Looks like it would rip your hand off if it got caught in/on something. I wear a watch but the band will come off it it is snagged. I carry cordage in my truck, pack, and/or pocket and have it when needed.

I have seen several men with these on, looks like a fashion statement to me
    It's actually lose on my wrist for a reason, if it snags on some and I can't get it to let go I can slip my hand out it.

Good to know. I have seen some bad stuff happen when things get hung up.

The ones I have seen have a snap buckle and are sort of tight.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Disorder View Post
    .....As for the medical ID, I would have no idea on that.
    That's actually my whole issue. First of all, its hard to find a medical ID bracelet specific for her condition, but to make matters worse, its hard to find one that will accept the paracord bracelet.

It's actually lose on my wrist for a reason, if it snags on some and I can't get it to let go I can slip my hand out it.
    If'n you're hanging from it - you probably won't be sliding out of it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If I'm hanging from it, and it's not intentional, then I did something stupid in the first place. So I think I might deserve it then.

That's actually my whole issue. First of all, its hard to find a medical ID bracelet specific for her condition, but to make matters worse, its hard to find one that will accept the paracord bracelet.
    I've seen one, the BSB on youtube. It's called the Best Survival bracelet. It comes with a metal plaque as part of it. You should be able to get that engraved. Then not only would it be a medID but it would double as a striker for a firestarter. If I can find the link, actually. I think it's Paracordist.com. Give it a look, I'm not sure though.

I've seen one, the BSB on youtube. It's called the Best Survival bracelet. It comes with a metal plaque as part of it. You should be able to get that engraved. Then not only would it be a medID but it would double as a striker for a firestarter. If I can find the link, actually. I think it's Paracordist.com. Give it a look, I'm not sure though.
    He's a member here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

He's a member here.
    I didn't know that. I just happened across it whilst listening to music on youtube.

Oh, you'll be sliding out of it.... it'll just be takin' a big chunk of skin with it.

Well, on a second thought... I don't know about paracord, but it sure did that on my wedding ring.